YNDotte/BrushCreekKnives Nessmuk Review & Canada Pass-Around

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Bushman5, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I want to start this with a HUGE THANK YOU to @OutdoorsFamilyMan for very generously giving me this Nessmuk blade made by @YNDotte (Brush Creek Knives) for me to review and pass around select Canada members for testing and review.

@OutdoorsFamilyMan simply had no time on his plate to get some woods time and use the knife to its potential, and did not want it sitting around feeling unloved.

Again, thank you .

so here is the blade in question. I'll update this photo with one taken in proper sunlight, rather than my 4000 lumen flashlight bounced off the ceiling. This knife is just stunning, the scales are gorgeous.

IMG_6594.JPG

This 'muk has some serious heft to it, but its very comfortable to hold and use (so far I have done bushcrafty stuff like cut up all my empty beer boxes for recycling.) I keep putting it into the leather sheath (the knife goes fairly deep into the sheath, i like this design for retention) and take it out again to hold the knife by its generous thick scales (Spalted wood, epoxy, and red liners).

7B55FE6B-E66F-443E-9AA4-E002D771BB87.jpeg A689F99D-A0F4-49E5-95B7-94C7675FF071.jpeg 6ABDEF67-869C-4FEA-B4A0-E2AE31250190.jpeg CFEF5566-A7DA-40DB-B994-13B156D99392.jpeg 8EDD12C6-3C0A-4FFC-B82D-2C0B32956498.jpeg

I'll keep this thread updated with field reports and pics.

Edit: I posted this in wrong forum, can one of you mods move it to REVIEWS?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  2. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Glad its getting love, even if its by Canucks ;)

Bushman5 likes this.
  3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

some thoughts so far:

the scales are pretty thick, i prefer a thinner flatter scale, but these fit my hands just fine. Very comfortable, but they do add a bit of weight (not much). I think the scales could be thinned a bit(keep the liners they look amazing!) but i dont have any issue with these, thickness wise.

The butt of the scales , in my humble non expert opinion, could be rounded off , they are fairly sharp edges, that I personally can feel when i change up my grip.

HOWEVER..........scales are like coffee......everyone likes it a certain way....so what I may find needs rounding off a bit, someone else might not, so its tough to say what should be changed......

I would carry this knife at work, ( i kinda wanted to, because its really enjoyable to hold and use) but all I really cut at work is concrete bags (supersacks to hold wetpour) and plastic concrete bin liners. The knife would get wrecked pretty quick in that environment, and its not really a good testing environment for such a beautiful knife. I use my BK16 at work because of the harsh environment.

4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

some field pics from a recent cook out. The YN*Dotte Nessmuk sliced bacon real well,same with the steak. A little too chunky though with hard root vegetables like carrots and spuds....it tended to chunk them instead of slice. (however thats true with any sort of convex blade i find.

stayed pretty sharp thru out the day, even cuting on plastic cutting board. A quick strop on 400 grit wet dry brought it back super sharp.

Was comfortable to hold during food prep, i can see this being very comfortable skinning a deer.

IMG_7148.JPG IMG_7149.JPG IMG_7163.JPG IMG_7183.JPG IMG_7187.JPG IMG_7188.JPG IMG_7189.JPG IMG_7192.JPG

anrkst6973 and Bozho like this.
  5. Bozho

Bozho Member

These scales look awesome!
    I really hate the plastic cutting boards, the knives I have had that suffered the least edge damage from plastic boards are with XHP or Sleipnir, perhaps D2 too. Everything else was getting dull pretty fast, so I got a nice, thick wooden board and it works great. Not good for backpacking though, as it weights over 1 kilo :D

Bushman5 likes this.
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

more thoughts....

The last time i used this knife was when i made my steak and root veggie stew a few weeks ago.

I left the knife on the counter, covered in meat juice and veggie blood.

Washed the knife today.....was surprised...no patina or staining....(i love it when my knives get a patina from use, others do not like that......<<<this is the knife for them!