Xancudo Question???

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Lostviking, Mar 21, 2022.

1. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

I got to handle the Xancudo (Fixed, No Hole) at a local sporting goods store today.

Loved the knife.

My question is geared towards the sheath. I went to put the knife in the sheath, it went in but unbelievably
    hard. Same for extraction. It was extremely difficult to insert and extract the knife.

Is this normal?

I mean have probably 6 different ESEE Knives in the plastic sheaths.
    I actually praise them often for how well they work.

I think if you were belt carrying this particular knife, you would push your pants down before it clicked in.

The clerk even said she was worried about cutting herself getting it in and out.

This knife would have come home with me if the sheath/knife interface had been even remotely like my 3,4,6 and others.

2. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Yes...all our sheaths are TIGHT from the factory and will break in with use..if you find you want to expedite the process you can remove the knife and look inside the sheath towards the bottom. You will see two small nubs at the bottom.

Take an emory board or thin file and take a very SMALL AMOUNT of material off and test fit....DO NOT take too much off...Test frequently...and remember with use it will continue to break in so I'd rather have it a little tight.

3. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

Thanks @shaneadams90 ,

I'll try another one when I get a chance.
    I have a new ESEE 6 and an almost new ESEE 4 sitting on my kitchen counter. They click in and out like all my ESEE knives have.

A firm one handed thumb push, or a firm push and they click in and out slicker than whale snot.

This particular Xancudo took two hands and an overly extreme yank to free it from its sheath.

I really liked the knife. So I will give a different one a try.

No worries,
    LV,

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  4. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

I took a file to my sheath. Likely all of them will need a break in or some work. More so with the Xancudo in my opinion.

5. T1D

T1D Member

Mine was extremely tight too, but loosened up pretty quickly with use. I think there is enough texture on the scales to wear down the plastic quickly. Even if you get a tight one it’s worth whatever trouble it takes to get it where you want it, it’s an excellent knife!

Lostviking likes this.
  6. Drew RedBear

Drew RedBear Member

Same here with mine and the tightness. I just sat and played with it for a while taking it in and out and it finally loosened some. Still a tight fit but you can one hand remove it.

Lostviking and shaneadams90 like this.
  7. shaneadams90

It will loosen with use...taking an emory board to the nubs and taking off a VERY small amount will due. Be sure to test fist as you go knowing that it will STILL break in with use...

We use the same molds for every Xancudo sheath we make...and Injection molds are way more accurate and consistent than what you'd get with kydex...the variance will be minimal...

8. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

Shane,

For clarification purposes,
    I was just checking to see if they were all like that, or if I had tried an anomaly.

I see this as sort of like rakers on a chain saw. Very minor adjustments at a time. You can always take more off, you can't put it back on.

9. shaneadams90

This is the key. It will continue to break in with use.. so take too much off and it’s too loose.

Lostviking and Strigidae like this.
  10. Safetyman

Safetyman Member

Cut or file the little round tits on the inside of the sheath...my sheath is perfect now.

Lostviking likes this.
  11. shaneadams90

Be careful here and go in SMALL AMOUNTS.... use a nail file, take a little off, then test fit.... with use the sheath will break in..

12. TerryD

TerryD Member

Consider a JouFuu sheath if you are going to be carrying it on your person.

20210820_075435.jpg