Writing

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by DYSPHORIC JOY, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Frankenstein

Frankenstein Banned Member

If I knew how to copy it all I'd grab the really good **** matches of the old boards and put together a short story.

ESEE a History; The Fallen Forum...

I just like using more than one . Seems fun..

MarriedTheMedic and Stone like this.
  2. Stone

Stone Member

That's ^ a great idea.

MarriedTheMedic likes this.
  3. JAD

JAD Member

It seems to me that writing is a forgotten endeavor. Certainly I'm not suggesting the world will stop writing but it is remarkable how few people sit down and put words on paper. (For those wondering, I consider typing words on a computer a form of writing.)

My definition of writing is the act of committing thoughts and ideas, formed in a coherent structure, to a medium for distribution to be shared with others. This forum could be a good example. But I would submit that the greatest communication on the forum is brief exchanges of information and knowledge. That serves the main purpose of the majority of us gathered here.

But additionally, there are some very good writers on here. And I for one like reading well written commentary or a well told story or review.

I will keep reminding myself to pretend I'm sitting around a campfire when I write to you and let's hope you find it equally entertaining.

DYSPHORIC JOY likes this.
  4. JAD

JAD Member

My daughter is 26 years old now. But about this time 8 years ago she went away to start college. While she did not stay home she also did not travel too far out into her brave new world. She chose instead to attend school at the state university about 100 miles away.

She has always worn a tough veneer and is of strong character. Her world appears in black and white with very little shades of gray. Something is either right or it is wrong. But as you peel back the layers it becomes apparent she is still a very young woman with endless worries and doubts of confidence. To that end she is always reaching out to hold my hand even though she rarely ever commits the physical act. No tough minded girl would ever be caught dead holding her dad's hand for others to see in public. My wife says she is just like me. Maybe.

So in anticipation of a possibly difficult transition, moving out of her comfortable home and into the life of a college freshman, I considered what I might do to make it less so. What I decided upon marked the beginning of a wonderful journey for us both. I decided to write our own personal daily news.

The "Daily News", that's what I called it. Our medium was email. The purpose was to give her a slice of home on a daily basis. I determined to write to her every morning first thing when I got to work. The content was to be simple, mundane, everyday events that would be familiar and comfortable to her. To that end I wrote of last night's dinner, the score of the Cardinals' game, our plans for the weekend, her brother's golf results, etc. Soon I started adding current affairs, politics, world events. The news grew to be about 3 paragraphs a day. She always responded if only to say thanks for the news. Then one day I missed writing for whatever reason. Later that morning I heard from my wife. She said my daughter called her asking if something was the matter because she didn't receive her morning news. She was very concerned that something had happened and told my wife she read her morning news first thing every day before she did anything else. It was at that point that I realized how tightly she was still clutching my hand.

As the semester ground on I continued to write. I always informed her the day before if the Daily News would not be published because of being on an appointment or out of town instead of in the office. And as I wrote she wrote back and talked about her goals, her fears, her hopes, and her life. The Daily News always opened with the mundane per its original purpose. But it began to morph, as well, into life itself, as the expression goes 'the real things in life'. I philosophized and moralized in addition to always offering generous support of advice and confidence in the person she was becoming.

I wrote for the next four years with rarely a miss. Sometimes those paragraphs turned into pages. On the day before her graduation I wrote for the final time and soon enough we left to attend the ceremony. After graduation she moved back home and the need for the news was gone. We had turned the page and life moved on.

A couple of years ago I said something to her about missing the Daily News and she shocked me. She said she still has every letter I ever wrote and has archived them on her computer. She said that someday they may get published. Who knows. But it was a magical time with all of our travails and living life both small and large. I think putting words on paper was a very good thing.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    Frankenstein and DYSPHORIC JOY like this.
  5. Frankenstein

I think I sent you a PM or whatever it's called now.

6. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Got it!

7. Frankenstein

Anyone know about publishing? Or copywrite? Not sure where it would fall. I have written a few things through the years that I would like to I suppose ensure the words remain mine.