Will molecular coatings on fabrics / linings assist in moisture transfer - experiment

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Bushman5, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Been experimenting with soaking jackets, base layers, insulation layers in liquid silicone spray.

emptied 24 cans of JigALoo silicone dry lubricant (no petroleum / propane in it, they use CO2 to pressurize the cans) into a plastic bucket and immersed multiple items of clothing into the bucket. Let everything soak, wrung it out, hung to dry.

GOAL:

The goal was to see if completely soaking every thread, fiber etc in hydrophobic molecules (silicone dry film lubricant), would increase the moisture / sweat transfer and keep the clothes drier, as well as dry faster. Plus the obvious waterproofing benefits. JigAloo silicone dry film lubricant is often used to waterproof tents , tarps etc, with great success. I have multiple gear including my BlackWillowOutdoors M.E.S.T. Basha tarp. Water runs off it like crazy . I thought that by soaking fleece , wool, down, and other fabrics, that it might perform the same way but with rapid sweat/moisture transfer.

OBSERVATIONS

- the fleece mid layer didn't wet out as quick from rain, and it was easy to shake the garment and all the heavy rain that seeped in, flung out with ease. Seemed to stay drier in areas of heavy perspiration (armpits, back) too.

- the same was seen in my wool pully sweater.
    - the base layers it was hard to tell but they seemed to dry faster under exertion

- there was less bunching and chafing as well in all the clothes, as they are now slippery from the silicone.

- gear didn't pick up hardly any dirt, debris etc when slogging thru the woods. Everything from clothing to tarps to webbing gear stayed very clean.

- pouches on the webbing were easier to stow/retrieve gear from after being spayed with the silicone dry film lubricant inside / out. Fastex buckles were easier to open/close , same with drawcord pouch scree collars.

- waterproofing / rain repellency was excellent in shell layers and webbing/rucks. As well the webbing pouches seemed to glide over boulders / downed trees a lot easier , without catching / dragging (stiction)

anyways - fun experiment, and at $6 CAD for a spray can of Jigaloo dry film silicone lubricant, it sure beats the $25 CAD water repellents sold locally.

2. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

I've been using that and similar silicone sprays for years always great results and its always on the jobsite

Bushman5 likes this.
  3. Willow

Willow Member

I hate I missed this Bushy but be very careful with silicone sprays. They are not created equal. The CRC brand specifically warns against using it on any plastics. That would include nylon, polyester, or other synthetic fabrics. I found out the hard way to heed this warning as it does in fact discolor, at the least, the plastic material. Glad to see you're still getting some use out of the Black Willow tarp! Let me know if you need anything.

4. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

^ ya some are pretty nasty. But the JigAloo brand I've never had issues.

that tarp is still going strong. Looks new (excellent maintenance / protection sprays over the years) despite a lot of use.

The Marsh Gorilla and Willow like this.
  5. Rich275

Rich275 Member

The Marsh Gorilla and Willow like this.
  6. Willow

Willow Member

I don't remember whether you got an ultralight tarp (40D Epsilon) or a 70D poly coated tarp. Both hold up very well but the 40D tarp has the H100 lifetime coating. Glad to hear you're getting good use of it and it's not just sitting in storage.

I can't help but to see the similarities to Duro's H100 coating they have used on Alpine and Epsilon Multicam materials for years. Very interesting!

Bushman5 and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I believe I got the ultra lite tarp - packs down to tall boy beer can size

Willow likes this.