Why haven’t we talked about sleeping quilts sooner!

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Rook52, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Rook52

Rook52 Member

So I’ve been around the camping/hunting world my whole life. Just this year I was induced to a sleeping quilt. This is a game changer for me. I slept outside yesterday in 20 degree weather without an issue and this setup is ultra light. I will never use a sleeping bag again.

For those who don’t know about these little miracles get ready your credit cards warmed up. So the basic idea is a sleeping bag without a bottom or floor. Instead you attach your quilt to your sleeping pad and that provides the base. My hammock gear brand quilt has a zipper foot box that is about 18” long and sniches closed. You can also get sewn foot boxes.

So in my eyes the advantages to a quilt are: lighter (20oz), less bulk (packs down to the size of a Nalgene bottle), cheaper (under $200), more versatile blanket or bag, and warmer ( pound for pound). I attached some pictures to help with my crappy explanation but seriously check them out. You hammock campers known about these forever probably but us ground folk this is new.
    57D1EB8F-C919-46A1-B272-FB22DE929D69.jpeg
    Sleeping setup

F55D4784-04D1-43D5-8974-6C2B8A1CD2FC.jpeg
    Hammock gear Econ burrow 10 degree

596822A1-B7E9-446F-8A07-9B4A65A9B066.jpeg
    Reverse imagine with sleeping pad tucked in.

916DCE49-BC75-410D-AEB6-B9B79D0BD29F.jpeg
    Blanket mode.

BlueDogScout, jbs121s, Hammer and 2 others like this.
  2. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

I have asked about these but no one has much input either way. I ordered a osni cloak and quilt from wilderness innovation to go with my poncho/hammock from them. We shall see.

3. Hammer

Hammer Member

Quilts rock and have revolutionized my approach to my backcountry kit.

A sleeping bag that is compressed underneath you is largely a waste of material, weight and space.

Caleb O and Rook52 like this.
  4. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Let’s see some packed up photos and comparisons lol

5. Rook52

Rook52 Member

I agree 100%

6. Rook52

Rook52 Member

Ok BDS here is a side by side. The sleeping bag is a 32 degree bag and weighs 40 oz. I then put my quilt which is rated for 10 degrees with 2oz of overfill in the same compression bag. The quilt weighs 20 oz.
    29B364C0-2F2E-4C03-8296-F66A429CCAEC.jpeg

00EED2A4-C4B8-4647-8F4C-542E53E42EE3.jpeg
    Quilt is in the bag the photo looks like it’s not up to the top but I promise it is
    EFEA74BF-4C4D-47E8-B833-5D4982A8ED1F.jpeg
    Top view of the quilt.

18F3C301-546D-4547-8924-FF89581BF67B.jpeg
    Sleeping bag, about an inch longer

5A1C4FF2-4542-40B4-AA46-921971CA1EF3.jpeg
    Top view sleeping bag 1/2” wider.

So the quilt is 22 degrees warmer, 20 oz lighter, and packs down smaller. I’m telling ya these things are legit. :D

BlueDogScout likes this.
  7. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Sweet! I’ll post up on what I’m getting when it comes in.

8. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

What i like about a top quilt is that i can get up immediately and run to breakfast. Cant do that with a sleeping bag. Finding the zipper. Making sure no material gets in it etc is waste of precious time.

9. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

I use quilts exclusively now for backpacking. Once bit you can't go back, especially if combined with a good sleep pad. I'm using a Feathered Friends 20° extra long and wide, for colder areas. It is down, lofts and packs extremely well for its size, and the company's warmth ratings are EXTREMELY conservative. Feels 15° warmer than advertised. This quilt I slept under for two months straight while backpacking thur the state of Washington and Oregon.

The other quilt I have is made by Cave Creek Hammock, intended for hammock camping but works great on the ground. 20° rated, and seems spot on. (Slept in the 30s last weekend and was fine). Down fill, lofts and packs well.

Seriously get on the backpacking quilts! As stated, the compressed fill on the bottom of your sleeping bag does little to nothing for you. Quilts will generally be lighter, easier to get out of and in an emergency are even a wearable walking around "garment" (there's been a few mornings I went to get the fire going with my quilt wrapped around my shoulders). Love quilts!

Rook52, Hammer and Strigidae like this.
  10. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

My quilt just delivered today. It’s a birthday gift so just in time! It also shapes inside my poncho for extra warmth so we shall see

Rook52 and Caleb O like this.
  11. Kevo

Kevo Member

I need to get myself into something like this. I've been using a wool blanket bed roll for years.

Caleb O, Rook52 and Strigidae like this.
  12. Memphistiger02

Memphistiger02 Member

I have an elightened equipment one. I like it. I’ve never been a fan of bags.