Why 1911's are crap.

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Outlander

Outlander Member

H
    hey....that's me.

:D

Tashunka witko and GaryMc like this.
  2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I like the 1911, it is a classic and in .45ACP it is fun to shoot, a resounding thump, well tuned it is a reliable tool, but here in lay the rub, getting and keeping one well tuned seems to be the issue. Sure you can take a stock GI like 1911 and run it on FMJ and it will tick away happily, but not many people do that. My own seem reliable with most things I feed it (it is no longer a .45ACP however....

[​IMG]

..... the vast majority or people seem to "want" to carry a 1911 because of the image/nostalgia/hype/kudos that goes with doing so, not because it is the best tool for the job.

Over a 1911 I would pretty much choose a Glock (insert the model/calibre you most like here)....

[​IMG]

.....each and every time it the purpose was serious.

If I want to enjoy myself at the range the 1911 is truly great. My own personal favourite handgun is without shadow of a doubt the Browning HP (this was of cours ethe 1911 with all the issues fixed ;) ). All I have owned/used/been issued have been extremely reliable (the Govt ones with FMJ the others with a ramp polish have eaten anything fed) and I shoot them better than any other handgun. But that is me.

Don't take it that I do not like the 1911, not by any stretch of the imagination, I do but as a defensive handgun/tool there are today better choices.

GaryMc and JMJ like this.
  3. Moonpie

Moonpie Member

I figure this is an attempt at conjuring up what's his name??? The Tourist? I seem to recall his public fondness for 1911's... I am all Glock. I am proficient at shooting, maintaining and very very good at buying them. I do own one 1911, a Ruger. I can't hit **** with it but I own it just to say that I own one.

GaryMc and JMJ like this.
  4. RedEyedHog

RedEyedHog Moderator Staff Member

I had a 91 Harley Sportster 12oo converted before I had kids. Complete with fat bob tank, lots of chrome, Corbin seat, straight drag pipes, drag bars etc, etc,etc....We looked damn good on the side of the road.

GaryMc and Moonpie like this.
  5. mil spec

mil spec Member

I'm the odd duck here. I love the 1911. I had several semi custom 1911's before my divorce. Sold all of them except one Ed Brown. I can say that the 1911 set me free.

Nowhere and GaryMc like this.
  6. Nowhere

Nowhere Member

You're not the only one. I have a couple of 1911s. Springfield Armory brand. They seem to run fine, shoot straight and they are simple to use. Works for me. YMMV.

mil spec likes this.
  7. CWB

CWB Member

They are crap compared to a black pistol.

Slade likes this.
  8. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Member

I've bought and sold an untold number of pistols, most brands, most models, most calibers... The G19 remains. It is now the only pistol I own. Once I decided what a pistol was intended to do and I surcumed to the reality, that there is no better pistol than a G19.

Actually I own two; but my wife carries the other one.

9. .357 mag

.357 mag Member

Prefect timing.. Range day today. Took my g43 and Springfield range officer. Both are in the 500 round range. Shot 50 in each today. Crazy enough I had two FTE out of the glock. Pretty sure it was the ammo. Shooting federal aluminum rounds. But haven't had that problem before.

10. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

I've taken a couple of multi-day classes with 1911s and never had an issue. One was an Ed Brown Govt size I had bobtailed and the other was a Wilson Combat. Both were with whatever ammo I could get my hands on at the time. I have taken a single day with an old Kimber and it even ran great. I had a Dan Wesson that choked hard and was immediately sold after the class ... with a disclaimer to the new owner, of course.

11. Wildbill247365

Wildbill247365 Member

I love my 1911s have one colt my Grandpa brought home from WW2 and a Springfield my Dad gave me. The one I love the most is my Llama Minimax. That thing is a beast I had some work done to her but never a problem and she is a nail driver.

mil spec likes this.
  12. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I was not able to carry a 1911 for 29 years. Now that I am retired I carry a sig 938 every day(very similar to a 1911). On colder days I sometimes carry a Commander.
    I have extensive exposure to Double action revolvers, Berreta 96D , H&Ks , M-4s and 870s. In my case familiarity has bred contempt. I still like double action revolvers but do not shoot them. I carried a Glock for a few years but no longer own one. If I got a position that required carrying any of these, I would have no problem with it.

I looked up this Yeager fellow. He is pretty well spoken although very opinionated. I do not see him as being overly objective either. There are plenty of guys with more experience with different opinions. Lots of competitive shooters carry 1911s. If you are a work overseas you will likely carry a Glock and probably develop an affinity for it.

JMJ likes this.
  13. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

I carry a Sig 938, which is similar. Sometimes I carry a Commander. I carried lots of other pistols because they were issued and I had no choice. I am retired and carry what I want.

14. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Well, the 92/96 series sucks in my opinion. So, you can't do much worse than that :)

mil spec and JMJ like this.
  15. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

Once at a gas station i forgot and left my Baretta in the front seat. I came back from paying and it was gone. I was terrified. I happened to look into the garbage can and there it was. They had taken the cartridges out and threw the pistol in the trash...I guess they had experience with them.

JMJ likes this.
  16. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Hahaha!

Best story ever.

17. dhunley1

dhunley1 Member

Don't care for 1911's, but I do like the nostalgia of them. Fist gun I shot was a Colt Gold Cup 10MM.

18. Baldcutnut

Baldcutnut Member

I like the 1911's as long as it is a good one and not a cheapo, but I would never carry one for self defense. My favorite is my S&W 1911 E-series never had any issues with failures.

[​IMG]

JMJ likes this.
  19. Ausher

Ausher Member

I like my ninety eleventey [​IMG]

JMJ likes this.
  20. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Maybe the title of this thread should read "1911's are cool guns, but there are better options for self defense".