Which Esee Knives Have Surprised You?

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by WCT, Jan 19, 2022.

1. WCT

WCT Member

My first Esee knife was the 6. I was able to handle it in a store one day, and I felt like it was made for my hand. It was as close to a lady-of-the-lake moment I think I’ll ever have. I couldn’t afford it at the time, and my then gf, now wife, surprised me (shocked me, really) by gifting it to me for Christmas that year. My next Esee was the 3, and it slowly became the closest thing to a favorite all around knife I’ve yet to find. So, these two knives I love and enjoy the hell out of. Since then, my Esee collection has grown and sometimes I’m surprised, for better or for worse, with what I like and what I don’t. Nothing intended to be critical here, everyone has different tastes, that’s why they make different knives. But suffice to say, some I thought I’d love, I don’t. And some I never thought I’d care for, have become my favorites.

For Worse:

Esee 4 - I figured because of of my love of the 3/6 the 4 was a no brainer. Best of both worlds. Unfortunately it just never resonated with me. I’ve always considered it too thick for its size, and the handle/choil, while proportional for the 3, I find both to be too small for the 4. I sold it off to someone who happily disagreed with me.

HM series - I do like them, the handle scales admittedly feel nice, but the lack of a ricasso/guard (similar to the Izula) always bothered me. When handling a blade I like the tactile feedback of a guard, especially if I’m working in the cavity of an animal. Suffice to say if they had a ricasso I might be more of a fan. As it stands I’m one of the rare ones who prefer the guard/choil of the original series. Honestly I like the flat slabs just fine as well.

JG 3 - I wanted to like this knife for a long time, but every time I use it for woods tasks, I found that either the Izula II or the 3 worked better for me. I think it’s a combination of the lack of ricasso/guard mentioned above, and the downward curve of the spine. With that said I’ve yet to use the JG3 on game, and I suspect that’s where it really shines. If it had an izula-style ricasso it would probably change my mind, and become more of a contender for a hunting knife. I also think the JG3 would be a good option for the S35vn line, since I think game processing is where that steel makes the most sense.

For Better:

Izula II - I never had any interest in this knife at all. I’m generally not a fan of blades under 3”, but I saw one at a good price (thank you @5col ), I had some extra cash, so I got it, and as soon as it hit my hands I fell in love with it. It’s become one of my go to edc blades, and it punches way above its weight in terms of utility and function. I see what all the hype is about.

PR4 - I always thought this knife was kind of boring. For whatever reason I ended up with one, and this knife has floored me. I don’t know that I can articulate what I like so much about it, but it has probably become my second favorite fixed blade (after the 3), and is now my go to woods/camp knife, when I want something a little more substantive/longer than the 3. I didn’t think I would like the scales at all, but I immediately loved the feel of them. They were admittedly thin, but thanks to Shane’s diy video I made some g10 liners for myself and now it fits my hand perfectly. I really can’t say enough about this knife - home run.

Xancudo - Again, no interest whatsoever in this knife when it was released. Especially with the orange scales. As much as I love the Izula II, I always sort of wished it had a 3” blade and a 1/8” stock, which initially got me curious about the Xancudo. I also love the spear point of my Swiss Army pocket knife, so I figured what the hell, found a deal (thanks again @5col ) and bought one. Man was I wrong again - the Xancudo is an awesome knife! I’ve been super happy with it. I dyed the scales black and I carry it all the time now. Wicked sharp, holds an incredible edge, rides really well. I liked it so much it actually persuaded me to buy a Zancudo folder haha.

Not looking to debate or argue or anything, everyone has different preferences, but how about you guys? Are there any Esee knives that have surprised you in one way or another, for better or for worse?

-WCT

2. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

The Xancudo is my favorite knife, hands down.

3. WCT

WCT Member

I really can’t find a flaw with it. I’ve seen folder turned to fixed blades before, where they didn’t change anything and the function didn’t translate well. You guys actually put some thought into this and made slight adjustments so that the Xancudo really shines as a fixed blade. I haven’t had it long enough to say it’s displaced the 3 as my favorite, but it’s a contender for sure. Excited to try it out next hunting season.

4. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

I was really impressed with the out of the box edge on the RB3, and it's really comfortable. Definitely exceeded expectations.

I didn't really like my 3 until I put TKC scales on it.

The Marsh Gorilla and WCT like this.
  5. WCT

WCT Member

I’ve heard that the RB3 has one of the most comfortable handles- I’ve yet to try it out though. I love that the design is based off the shape of the Izula.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  6. Scablands Scavenger

Scablands Scavenger Member

I really like the CR 2.5, but constant water and blood with my forgetfulness have taken its toll on the blade, the blade is not quite long enough to be-head fish in one cut if that makes sense. I love it as an EDC knife and carrying the slim profile it is great. I really like the minimal profile for most small tasks.
    I purchased the Izula in S35 and did not really care for it at first for general tasks. After using it to clean a few birds and small game though I have found the curve at the front really works excellent, and I have been carrying it more and more.
    I am wondering if the Xancudo might be the sweet spot between these two.

7. mwramos76

mwramos76 Member

Izula folder theoretically was pretty awesome!!

8. WCT

WCT Member

The Xancudo is great because regardless of it’s extra 0.5”, given its spear point design, it has more length to the straight edge than the Izula, while still maintaining a slight belly at the tip. Just a matter of how much belly one prefers for a given task/animal at that point. As much as I like the Izula, I find the 3” blade and overall shape of the Xancudo to be more broadly functional. The Xancudo blade stock thins down as it reaches the tip and they made the spear point “pointy” enough for precision/incision work - something, say the spear point of the PR4, lacks, and an improvement over the *slightly* more blunted tip of the Zancudo folder. I find the tip of the Xancudo more akin to the shape of a Grohmann #1 and the body of the blade more akin to a Kephart. Kind of a best of both worlds in a stout package.

I don’t have a CR2.5, but for a bird/trout knife I think a 3” blade makes more sense as well. The capabilities of the Xancudo don’t leave me in much want for a 2.5, though the narrowness of the blade certainly has its place. Though the 2.5 is marketed as a bird/trout knife, I believe it was conceived of while the designer was processing an elk, which, when looking at the knife makes a bit more sense to me.

9. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I was lead to believe that the Xancudo would explode in my hand the first time I cut with it ;) so I was happy and surprised when it didn't ....:D

Stray Round, KnOeFz, WCT and 4 others like this.
  10. Bustedaw11

Bustedaw11 Member

For me its the Izula II. I was edc my beloved 4 when I got the Izula II. I thought it'd be to small for my tastes honestly but i got it anyway to try out because the price was right..
    It hasn't left my side in a little over a year now!! I have not been able to find a job I can't get done with it. As an edc it's absolutely fantastic.

11. Stray Round

Stray Round Member

JG3 just continually impresses. Comfortable in the hand while using various grips. It has enough blade length for knife tasks and a blade shape for all around use. Definitely my favorite knife and always impressed with how well it performs.

I'd love to see the JG3 in a S35 or better edge holding steel, a little jimping and some texture to the micarta scales. Add an injection molded sheath, ala Izula or kydex sheath and it would be perfect.

Xancudo, really like the steel, blade shape, blade thickness, injected molded sheath (great when trimmed down) and size. Surprisingly competent and useful knife that should be more popular. I look at it as an "improved" Izula II as it is the same size but I like the steel, blade shape and it is a better slicer/cutter. The Izula II on its own, is a surprise in how just a 1/2" of extra grip changes it from the Izula and gives each a different personality and role.

Churp has been a good surprise and all the Youtubers were wrong. Extremely light and comfortable in the hand. I like using as a pocket knife rather than a clip-on. Mine has absolutely no play in the hinge joint and the lockup is solid. Thin blade coupled with great steel and it slices like a demon. The blade shape is great all around with a keen tip when you need it. I like how easy it is to open and close and the critics about the bearings were wrong. I'm going to cut small notches on both sides of the scales and frame so that the blade can be pinched to open.

My bad surprise has been the CR2.5 as it just doesn't perform to my use and expectations. Neat little knife that is trimmer than the Izula and Izula II and fits and carries nicely in a modified sheath in the pocket.

What's wrong?

I don't like the blade shape and could be a tad thinner. I would much prefer a spear point and would find it more useful for me on fish/game and fine work. A warncliffe would have been interesting too as a daily carry.

WCT and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  12. Eric Kendrick

Eric Kendrick Member

Xancudo... my favorite knife.

WCT likes this.
  13. CWB

CWB Member

3hm. Need one in s35vn

WCT, Scablands Scavenger and Bozho like this.
  14. WCT

WCT Member

I agree. While I personally prefer the original 3 to the 3hm, I think the S35vn line makes more sense with thinner knives (3, Xancudo, CR3.0) that one would be more likely to use strictly for knife-tasks like cutting/slicing, while thicker blades (4, 6, Junglas) make way more sense to stick with 1095, given the higher likelihood of abuse. I have a 3 in S35vn & it’s phenomenal for its intended purpose.

CWB and Bozho like this.
  15. Bozho

Bozho Member

I'm a carbon steel guy, but a 3HM in S35VN, kydex and G10 would be something I would definitely buy. The 3HM is the best knife I have had.

The Izula 2 surprised me in a good way today. I had a RC Izula years ago, but sold it because it was very thick behind the edge, poor slicer. The new one has an excellent grind, just a tad thicker than a 3.

WCT likes this.
  16. WCT

WCT Member

Someone is always convincing me to hold onto my JG3 and give it another try haha. It really is a great overall shape/length. Agreed on your list of improvements- as stated I’d add a ricasso as well.

Agreed as well on your Xancudo impressions, and I bought it and have been happy with it for much the same reason. I’m wondering if the orange scales and the carabiner hole option (which unfortunately eliminates a lanyard hole on the solid-scale version) make people think of it as more of a niche, limited use blade, designed *specifically* for high-angle rope rescue, and not as an edc/hunting general use blade. I’m blown away by this knife. Makes me wish they’d make a similar fixed blade Avispa, to fill that size gap between the Xancudo & PR4 in terms of spear points.

Also agree on the 1/2” difference in functionality and application. The Izula is obviously more discreet, and for every day tasks it’s great, but the II really allows for a broader range of tasks.

Thanks for your feedback on the Churp and the CR2.5. I’ve seen some of the negative press on the Churp and I wondered if it might stem from sort of a misapplication of purpose. I’m kind of amazed at times when I see pocket folders reviewed as if they are supposed to be anything other than capable of handling quick, small tasks. Nice feedback on the 2.5. I don’t have one, but it’s good to hear a nuanced perspective.

Thanks for chipping in with all that!

17. WCT

WCT Member

Interesting, I never tried an older Izula, but I was surprised when I got the II, how it tapers toward the tip, and how fine the grind is considering it’s spine thickness. It’s a workhorse for sure, but it’s absolutely capable of fine tasks. Great blade.

Bozho likes this.
  18. Bozho

Bozho Member

Also had an older 4 CP that was thick behind the edge. Had another one 2 years ago and now a 4HM and the last 2 are great cutters.

19. WCT

WCT Member

Interesting. Perhaps they’ve refined their grind a bit through the years.

Bozho likes this.
  20. anomad

anomad Member

I recently got scales and the plastic sheath for the mighty Candiru. I already liked this little guy. But I am pleasantly surprised how much more I like it with the scales.

[​IMG]