Weekend Bluffing

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Guyon, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Guyon

Guyon Member

This weekend, I spent some time at a nearby bluff trying out a new length of Sterling HTP 9mm rope.

Wrap 3, pull 2. I also tried a new carabiner to set anchor: Rock Exotica Pirate Screw-Lock.

[​IMG]

A slight redirect helped give me the right angle off the edge and prevented the rope from deflecting around that little tree in the foreground. Also used a Rock Exotica Pirate here.

[​IMG]

The second smaller line in the pics above is a new safety tether system I put together with 6mm cordage and two 4mm prusiks for adjustment. It worked great while I was setting edge protection and while I was loading and locking off my descender. Here's a picture of how it works.

[​IMG]

Edge protection!

[​IMG]

Since I was rappelling alone, I used an autoblock.

[​IMG]

I spent my time practicing changeovers between descending and ascending, all with the the Sterling ATS.

[​IMG]

Here's the little practice bluff--probably 25' or so. I might take a tape with me next time to measure. I climbed it (completely ascended rope) a couple of times.

[​IMG]

Packed up and ready to head back home.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    Klutz likes this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Nice . I gotta get out more on rope again. Both on the cliffs and in the trees.

3. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

I'm liking that Sterling 9mm HTP a lot. Lot less weight than 11mm and handles great.

4. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

Awesome Guyon. I know nothing of this sort of thing, but it does intrigue me.

5. jeeter

jeeter Member

That's awesome. It's probably been 20 years since done any rapelling.