VFW Members

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bcamos, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

Is it worth it? I've never been a "meeting" type of guy. I don't like hanging out in large groups of people, even if we all have something in common. I don't like meeting new people (lol I'm sounding really old).

A few friends here in town want me to join the local VFW. It's going to mostly be occupied by older Vietnam era guys, if I had to assume. Is it worth it to get involved?

2. SMD226

SMD226 Member

I hate to say it but in my experience it was not much different that a bar. Just a bunch of people getting drunk telling stories

3. olderguy

olderguy Member

I had a friend invite me to the local VFW and I found it the same as SMD226 said and since I don't drink it was a no go for me.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  4. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Not all are that way. Im not a veteran but help at the American Legion and it is not that way at all. Just a bunch of good ole boys trying to help each other out and make a difference. Its a very very small group for us but they can do some neat things.

5. BigJake

BigJake Member

You can be a member & not go to meetings. I’m a life member & haven’t been to a meeting in years. In fact, I’m an at large member & don’t belong to a post. Just the Missouri state post. Someday I’ll probably get more involved. It’s still a good organization to belong to. They are pretty active with veterans issues.