Upcoming Project 2 - Summer 2022 - Canadian Smock

Discussion in 'DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by Bushman5, Apr 23, 2022.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Have been testing several smocks the last few years, really like the concept. They are not waterproof - but hold heat in during exertion and block the wind. A thin cotton smock dries rapidly under exertion and can be "pumped" so to speak to rapidly vent heat out. Additional heat / cool control can be fine tuned with the waist band paracord "belt" , the lower leg paracord "cinch" and the cuff and hood paracord cinches.

a simple flat map pocket on the and (possibly) hand pockets below the waist cinch compete the package. I'll be using FireCord paracord for the cinches as well to enhance the smock with a supply of emergency firestarting tinder, plus FerroRod toggles on the leg cinch and hood cinch

I've been wearing ultra thin long sleeve under armour base layers , sometimes two or three layers of the UA shirts under the smock. A little chilly while stopped, but I rapidly heat up while wandering the woods, without overheating or having to carry bulky fleece / wool layers.

I think my design is pretty honed at this point. Need to find a company to sew it to my specs. Will be making these in both CADPAT & MULTICAM. I plan to also bulk soak these smocks in silicone waterproofing spray to enhance the smock, although it will not be raincoat waterproof. The silicone waterproofing will allow the user to "fling" off excess water with ease, based on my tests the last few months with silicone waterproofing liquids.

stay tuned :cool:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
    mmbackpacker, Twoody88 and anrkst6973 like this.