Thompson bolt rifle question

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Skip808, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Skip808

Skip808 Member

I’m looking at possibly getting a bolt 223 mainly because my current one has a 1:12 twist and 60 grain bullet groups look like I’m shooting buck shot.

browsing around I saw the Thompson Compass and Venture rifles and seems like they are hunting accurate and can use 5.56 in a pinch.

Anyone ever shot one or have any input on the quality and reliability? Unfortunately it would be an ordered purchase so I can’t look and feel. Our gun shops are relatively small and don’t carry a huge stock.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

2. ASH

ASH Member

No experience with them but I got an email today about a fall rebate. I know they're now owned by Smith and Wesson, I want to get one of their tcr22 rifles one day.

BigJake and Skip808 like this.
  3. Skip808

Skip808 Member

Thanks for the heads up about the rebate. Hmmmm Makes it even more tempting.
    Those tcr22s look nice. Surprisingly our lgs had a couple in stock and they looked solid.

4. W.Jester

W.Jester Member

I have a compass in 308. It’s a decent rifle. Can tell it’s a budget one but overall it’s good. The barre is thin so it heats up fast. I did a trigger kit on mine from mcarbo. It has a great pull now. I did get MOA from two different factory ammos so it did meet its guarantee. Overall depending on the price if you can catch it on sale it’s a good buy.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    Skip808 likes this.
  5. Skip808

Skip808 Member

Thank you for the review the accuracy guarantee sounds good. This pushes it up a notch for the let’s give it a try.

6. Skip808

Skip808 Member

Figured I’d follow up on this one. Well, I ended up going in a different direction. Turns out I found one of my childhood dream rifles and ordered a Browning x bolt in 308. Always wanted a Browning so I couldn’t resist the temptation.