"The Story of Slade - the Man, the Myth, the Maestro"

Discussion in 'Sale / Trade Feedback' started by Benson X, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Benson X

Benson X Member

I've been meaning to write this up for months - but I wanted to share my experiences working with Slade (Ehran) throughout the year and multiple exchanges.

As you know, Ehran has been providing his (excellent) sharpening services to us lucky sheep-lovers. He is also making some badass Arrow Hanks to help keep our blades and noses clean, and do it in style! There is no question about his integrity and skill level - he does an excellent job sharpening and fixing botched grind jobs, and he makes very cool, eye-catching hanks that are just as artistic as they are functional.

One exchange in particular is worth sharing, and further solidifies Ehran as being a valued and upstanding member of this forum.

4/6/17:

I ordered a couple small fixed blades, made by Anza Knives. They were solely an impulse buy on my part, and I didn't really know what to expect - but I had already planned on sending them to Slade for some edge work (if needed), since I needed to order some more Hanks as well. http://eseeknives.com/forums/index.php?threads/recent-purchases-thread.85/page-50#post-61237

4/10/17:

Upon receiving the knives, it was apparent they would definitely need some attention and TLC from Slade, so I sent him a message to order a few more Hanks, and included some pics of the edges and grinds on the li'l Anzas to get his thoughts/feedback:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He was quick to respond with ideas and feedback how to make the edge(s) more even and serviceable. I got them packaged up and on their way to Ehran in Ohio.

4/17/17:

Just a few days later, Ehran finished up the hanks and knives and posted some Before & After pics to show the overall improvement. He sent me the tracking info. for the package:

Knife #1: BEFORE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    AFTER
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Knife #2: BEFORE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Needless to say, I was excited - the edges look WAY better and more even than they previously did. Ehran did a fantastic job reprofiling and making them more symmetrical.

4/22/17

Ehran messaged me to check on the Tracking, as it hadn't updated on his end. When I checked the status - it showed "Label Created" but nothing else. He confirmed it was shipped and we decided to give it a few days to see if it updated.

4/24/17

No change/update on the Tracking - it still showed "Label Created". I contacted my local USPS Branch, and was told there is nothing they could do unless the item was scanned and received by USPS. Ehran also opened a case/trace on his end. Ehran and I had been communicating and corresponding directly with each other via Text.

5/1/17

With no updates on either side, and USPS providing no help, we were starting to lose hope on this package. Ehran immediately offered a refund and said he would be re-making the Hanks. I let him know the refund wasn't necessary until we get a formal resolution to the USPS case - but I gladly welcomed the new Hanks to be sent, as they were going to be a gift.

5/9/17

New Hanks were mailed out and received. Ehran also threw in a little paring knife that has quickly turned out to be my go-to in the kitchen. The hanks turned out fantastic, and were well-received and greatly appreciated by the recipients!
    [​IMG]

5/18/17

After a month with no updates or resolution, we gave up on the package and Ehran again offered to give me a refund. I let him know "Sh*t happens" and it was no fault of his the package was lost. I declined the refund and thanked him for the excellent communication and for re-making the hanks. I chalked it up as a loss, and was ready to move on - it was apparent those knives were not meant to be! :)

...continued

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Slade, Dagwood and Zeek like this.
  2. Benson X

Benson X Member

...continued

6/17/17

While browsing on eBay, I saw a few "suggested items" based on my browsing/purchase history. One of those items looked eerily familiar. Lo' and behold - there was a picture of my little Anza knife, being sold on eBay, from a pawn shop in Ohio! :eek:

I immediately messaged Ehran to confirm that was indeed the same blade. We were both excited and also confused how to proceed with getting them back from the seller (pawn shop). Ehran said the pawn shop had a few locations in Columbus, with one being only a few blocks from his place.

6/19/17

Ehran gathered all the relevant info. he could and went to the pawn shop to discuss the situation with the owner. He confirmed it was indeed the same knife, both were sold to the same pawn shop, but only one remained (the other had already been purchased by someone else). Unfortunately, they were not very helpful and said not much could be done without a formal police report. Ehran contacted the local PD and filed a police report, it was confirmed if the knife was indeed stolen, Ehran would have to buy it back at the price the pawn shop paid for it. That sounds super sh*tty, but that's the way it is - the pawn shop gets reimbursed but the "victim" has to pay to get the item back - so there's no penalty or loss for the pawn shop for buying stolen goods.

7/3/17

Ehran messaged me to keep me in the loop after getting no updates/responses from the Detective on the case. He had left a few messages and hadn't had any luck reaching the Detective. He sent me all the info. regarding the open case/investigation. I let him know I can also follow-up on my end to assist. The knife was still listed on eBay - so it had not been sold (as of yet).

7/7/17

I called the Columbus PD and climbed around their phone tree until I reached someone who could assist me. I spent about 30 minutes speaking with a Sergeant who was amazed to hear how the story had developed up to this point. He let me know the "case" had not yet been assigned to a specific dept., since it could be considered "mail theft" or "residential theft" depending on how the item was stolen. He assigned it to the Property Recovery Unit and I provided all the details we had: eBay listing info., pictures from myself and Ehran, Pawn Shop contact info. and our contact info. I thanked him for taking the time to assist - even with something that seems trivial/insignificant compared to other crimes, but he said a criminal is a criminal and that is their job. It was a very reaffirming and positive interaction with him.

I sent Ehran all the updated info. and we were both feeling good about the progress!

7/9/17

Ehran messaged to let me know he spoke with the new Detective handling the case. He had contacted the Pawn Shop and put a hold on the knife (so it could not be sold). They also removed the eBay listing immediately. Ehran said he would be able to go re-purchase the knife after getting the clearance from the Detective.

7/26/17

I received a message from Ehran saying he had the knife in hand and ready to mail back to me!

7/30/17

I received a package from Ehran containing the long-lost li'l Anza!!! It was still sharp as f*ck and we had both vested quite a bit of time and patience to recover the thing. I told Ehran, the knife has carved a special little place in my collection, and it has more sentimental value more than anything at this point.
    [​IMG]

I still look back on this situation and smile. Of all the benign things we take for granted on a daily basis, something in the universe aligned to get this knife back to me. Somehow - everything worked out as it was supposed to and I like to think it was mainly due to Ehran's good nature and karmic balance working out for the both of us.

All this to say that Ehran was always willing to do whatever it took to make this situation right, and I truly appreciate it. He could've easily said the package got lost, and it's not his problem. He didn't have to re-make the hanks again. He didn't have to offer a refund. He didn't have to go to the pawn shop in person, or speak with the detectives or PD to get some assistance with this. He didn't have to keep in contact with me with the status/updates. He didn't have to do any of that stuff....but he DID!

That's why I wanted to tell this story and say "Thank You" again to Ehran! If any of you should have (or have had) the pleasure of working with Ehran - do so with confidence and rest assured he has more integrity than most of the people out there today.

Keep up the good work brother @Slade - and thanks again for everything! Cheers! :D

IW17, NoRest, Bushman5 and 5 others like this.
  3. Slade

Slade Member

All sounds pretty far fetched to me.

mwramos76, Delkancott, Zeek and 2 others like this.
  4. Benson X

Benson X Member

Indeed it does - I don't believe any of it. It's all a marketing scheme...and I'm a worthless shill. ;)

Zeek and Slade like this.
  5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

this is freaking awesome! :cool:

Slade and Benson X like this.
  6. Benson X

Benson X Member

I like to imagine it as a quick-cut action film, sorta Guy Ritchie-esque style. It has all the elements:

Greasy Mail employees, theft, shady Russian pawnbrokers, cops, internet sleuthery, knives! :D

Slade likes this.
  7. mwramos76

mwramos76 Member

Ehran @Slade is the man for sure. I ALWAYS bother him picking his brain about this steel and that steel. He’s always very patient with me and very very thorough. So glad to hear this story had a happy ending. Those edges look amazing. I’m still in the process of getting ALL my knives edged up by him. Anza makes some slick little blades to while we are talking about them.

Benson X, Zeek and Slade like this.