The Scout Rifle

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Sep 12, 2016.

1. JMJ

JMJ Member

My son bought himself a Citori for his jr high/high school trap team in Arkansas. He loves it! And I love that they incorporated that as a school sport.

CooterJohnson likes this.
  2. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

This thread should also make mention of the "Ching" Sling. When I first got mine I was skeptical. After using it a couple of years hunting, Ive found it to be very useful.

mil spec likes this.
  3. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Now that i can use my scout for hunting, im going all in on the ching sling.

JMJ and chorpie like this.
  4. chorpie

chorpie Member

I'm using a VCAS. Although, trying to figure out a good way to use that while wearing a backpack will be interesting.

5. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

I love mine. I have stopped using a bench (except for zeroing) while at the range. I can note a significant difference between using the Ching sling as opposed to free hand. Ive also incorporated the same technique with the AR platform and a two point sling.

CooterJohnson and JMJ like this.
  6. JMJ

JMJ Member

I was taught to use a sling that way really young by an older mentor. One of the tips I'm most grateful of learning, changed my world with offhand shooting rifles.

CooterJohnson likes this.
  7. Expat

I agree with the bench statement. The bench is ideal for sighting the rifle in. But once you know it's on, I don't believe you should use it again. Use all the stances and positions you will use in the field.

CooterJohnson, JMJ and Dave41079 like this.
  8. charles bower

charles bower Member

I like the 1907 sling.

9. Joelski

Joelski Member

Here's a modern version of a scout rifle scope:

[​IMG]

Obviously, I know nothing about variable power optics at that distance. Is there no eyebox/tunnel effect due to the lenses, or something? Is it a fixed magnification, or truly variable? The 1-4x scope on my AR works at close range only because of the zero magnification effect. Like Justin referred to in his Mark AR review; I am one of those insanely cool and lucky people who gets debilitating headache when seeing unequal correction/magnification. It even happens when I'm trying to get my contact lenses in. Its a battle!

JMJ likes this.
  10. chorpie

chorpie Member

From what I understand most people are using fixed power IER scopes mounted as close to the bore as humanly possible. I've got a 2.5x scope on mine and can ping the silhouette at 400 yards without issue.

Since mine will be used for hunting, and I don't plan on needing to take any shots past 200 yards (100 yards is more realistic) I don't really need anything more.

I see a lot of people with 4x fixed power scopes.

11. Expat

Im with chorpie. Mine is a fixed 2.5.

The variable might be nice, but more because it has a firedot

12. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

I'm a fan of the low-power in a scout scope.

13. Expat

For some of you that aren't familiar with the Ching Sling, here's a good video. Il Ling knows her stuff. She's been an instructor with Gunsite for years.

14. Expat

Some info on the sights and mounting options:

JMick, CooterJohnson and jlowrance like this.
  15. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

I use the hasty sling method quite a bit in the kneeling prone position. I've heard it called something else, but can't remember what.

16. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Bear season opens here a week from Saturday! I have found this rifle accompanied with the Ching Sling close to perfect for Hogs and Bear on the run. I have a Leupold 2.5FX, which has perfect eye relief and field of view for running game. If a treed bear opportunity arises, I really, really, really want to use my 10mm!

STPNWLF and JMJ like this.
  17. artigas

artigas Member

The intro music alone has made me a better shooter and person.

Great info in this thread. @Expat You had a post in the old forum where you discussed several errors that are commonly made with grip, etc. You should start another thread with information like that.

CooterJohnson and JMJ like this.
  18. Joelski

Joelski Member

Not sure if this fits a loose definition, but it looks mighty tempting:

[​IMG]
    Mossberg MVP .308

Or the LRT-Tactical:
    [​IMG]

JMJ and Dave41079 like this.
  19. Dave41079

Dave41079 Member

I actually just handled the green stocked LRT at a local gun store this afternoon. I was very surprised, way nicer in person than what I expected. Also played around with the new Savage Scout. It was really nice, but the cheek weld seemed too high to use the irons comfortably for me. The biggest reason I think those two don't qualify is the piccatiny rail over the ejection port doesn't allow you to use stripper clips, and sits too close to the shooter for an EER low power scope. That being said, do modern rifles even have provisions for stripper clips? It's something I've honestly only ever used on a K98k.

JMJ likes this.
  20. JMJ

JMJ Member

I'm pretty certain the ruger GSR doesn't have the protrusion for stripper clips either. Only rifle I've ever used/seen them for was an sks. I really like that mossberg, that may be what I get for a boltaction 308. Plus it'll share mags with my LR308.

Dave41079 likes this.