The Scout Rifle

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I created a pdf of drills. Is it possible to upload that kind of file here?

JMick and STPNWLF like this.
  2. Expat

Test

Attached Files:

JMick, IW17, STPNWLF and 1 other person like this.
  3. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Works great!

4. Expat

Replaced my regular scope rings with some Warne QD's this evening. This allows me to quickly use the iron sights when needed. They claim return to zero, but in my experience they only return to zero if you can tighten the rings the exact same amount. More or less and the POI shifts slightly.

Found that out when I was in Alabama super sniper school. Where they qualified me for all 50 states, the District, and the territories.

5. Rick R

Rick R Member

I use the Ruger GSR with Warne QD rings. They return to within an inch of zero @100 yards for the first shot then settle back within five rounds. FWIW I set the levers to point at each other and then return them to that point when re-installing.

Not “precision rifle” accuracy but good nuff for the Scout Rifle.

The Marsh Gorilla and STPNWLF like this.
  6. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

So after 5 shots they're back to POA/POI being the same?

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  7. Rick R

Rick R Member

The times I’ve tried them they settle back in within five rounds. They have to go back in the slots they came out of and the same torque values.

I guess the operative term is “QD” rings. They are quick detach in the event you damage an optic not necessarily “QR” to quickly reattach them.

8. Rick R

Rick R Member

I’d love to have a second GSR with the Scout rail removed just for use with the peep sights. Unfortunately finances and SWMBO have not aligned to let me buy a +1.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  9. Expat

Frankly, I love the iron sights and don't like fooling with the scope and all of that, but at 200 yards in a hunting situation, I want to make sure I don't just wound an animal.

Good to know that the QD actually work. I can't envision a situation where the scope is damaged bad enough that I have to remove them, and then somehow the scope gets fixed and I can put it back on.

What I like about them is that I can go to the range sight the scope in, take it off and practice with the irons, then put the scope back on and with just a shot or two I should be back in bidness.

The Marsh Gorilla, STPNWLF and Rick R like this.
  10. OfficerLucky

OfficerLucky Member

I wish magpul would hurry up and make a stock for the gsr.

charles bower likes this.
  11. Rick R

Rick R Member

Expat,
    While you probably wouldn’t get the original scope repaired while afield, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a second scope zero’d and ready to slap on if you managed to damage the primary one. The further out you are the more Mr. Murphy likes to tag along.

Officer Lucky,
    Most guys seem to like the OEM plastic stock from Ruger. Mine is still wearing the plywood version. It would be interesting to see what the minds at Magpul could come up with.

12. Expat

I don’t think they will. I don’t think there is enough of a market there. 700 and Ruger American for sure but the GSR, I don’t know about that.

I have a Magpul stock on my 700 and it’s the best!

13. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

New GSR 450 Bushmaster in matte stainless with composite stock
    IMG_20180821_075110.jpg
    IMG_20180821_075048.jpg

14. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

I'm interested to handle a plastic stocked version in person, is it a similar feel to the American rifle stocks or does it feel more substantial? The plywood feels very substantial but no doubt adds alittle weight.

15. Rick R

Rick R Member

I thought the plastic GSR stock felt more substantial than the American stock. But I didn’t compare them side by side so I may be out in left field with a badminton glove...

Backwoods Runner likes this.
  16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

oooooh i like that. I'd totally carry that here while hiking.

keep forgetting to send in my damn paperwork.......lol

17. Odinborn

Odinborn Member

Now if only they would allow other retailers besides Davidson's to sell the 6.5 chambered GSR, I would buy that variant in a heartbeat. Most importantly it would need to be anything other than that digital camo.

OKcherokee likes this.
  18. Expat

I posted this in my shooting drill thread but I like to keep all Scout related things here as well.

This past week I finally got time to get to the range and test out the Warne QD rings. I sighted the scope in, then removed it and shot for a while with irons.

I later replaced the scope in the same rail slots, and tightened them down my hand as tight as I could. (Which is how they started). Immediately went to the bench at 100 yards and a 3 shot group was just over an inch and formed a triangle around the bullseye. (So like 11, 3 and 8 o’clock around the bullseye).

The QD’s work. The reticle lines are wider than the lines on the target and the bullseye so I would have to move off the bullseye to get an idea where it was and then move the crosshairs back on. So, as usual, no doubt the rifle is capable of shooting better than I can. But for hunting purposes, it is well within Minute Of Critter.

There is also something to be said for simplicity. It is a fixed 2.8x Leupold. My other rifle has a 4-16 x 44 with external windage, elevation, parallax, zero stop, mil marks, etc. The Scout is refreshingly point and shoot.

Here’s a pic of the 3 shot group immediately after putting the scope back on. Disregard the flyer in the upper left, which I fired before I was ready (still a kill shot on a deer). That one is not reflective of the scope or rings but rather the shooter.

Target was ranged exactly at 100 yards. Ammo was Federal 168gr Sierra MatchKing (GM308m). I like this round because it’s a great range round and ballistics are almost identical to the hunting round I use: Federal 165gr Sierra Gameking. So no fooling with scope adjustments from range to field, but also not having to spend a ton on money on hunting bullets just for the range.

34AF49D5-6B17-489F-B2BE-485D2696C11D.jpeg

I still love the Scout. My favorite rifle by far. As I work through the rifle drills, I start to appreciate it’s capabilities more and more. I was shocked how well it handled the 2 to the chest, 1 to the head drill in 5 seconds.

19. ny700

ny700 Member

Well done. Do you feel comfortable that finger tight on the mount would be sufficient when packing the rifle on a hunt or any long ruck for that matter?

Larry vickers just posted a video. He is calling it an aimpoint challenge. Timed accuracy drill standing, kneeling, sitting and prone. Considering the application of the scout rifle it looks like it may be a natural drill for it. Times adjusted for the bolt action

20. Expat

When I say finger tight, I mean absolutely as tight as I can get with my fingers on that lever, which is pretty darn tight.

However, if it comes loose in transit, i just re-tighten it. Heck even if it comes all the way off, I just put it back on and tighten it. That’s the beauty of the QD.

I will check out those drills.

JMick and The Marsh Gorilla like this.