The Scout Rifle

Discussion in 'EXPAT Knives®' started by Expat, Sep 12, 2016.

1. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

It's nice!

2. Dave41079

Dave41079 Member

And if you find a first generation PS90, you can move the trigger spring to a different hole that's already there, and violate NFA laws because you now have a select fire weapon.

CooterJohnson and JMJ like this.
  3. JMJ

JMJ Member

I know someone with a first gen, he said it's the most controllable firearm he's shot that way. And goes through that 50rnd mag quickly!

Dave41079 likes this.
  4. ny700

ny700 Member

The "one rifle" tag is probable not the best especially for gun lover or gear whores which we all are to some degree. Probably calling it the "go to rifle". Knowing it's capable of handling everything is more appropriate a tag line

JMJ likes this.
  5. ny700

ny700 Member

I recognize Cooper to be the legend that he is. And I certainly don't look to diminish any of his ideas

But his development of the scout rifle and the criteria around it dates back to the early 80's and as much as it pains me to acknowledge it as it makes me feel old that was 30 years ago.

So much has changed. Including weight of kit of other items

I think sometimes we look back at some ideas that were revolutionary at the time and assume they hold the same place as if timeless for decades and that's not always the case. Like cars. A 60's muscle car is bad ass but a modern sports car would run rings around it get twice the gas mileage and start every morning when you turn the key

I just question 30 years later have we not developed a rifle that meets coopers needs even if not necessarily the criteria in all categories that affords greater accuracy more precise aiming capability to greater distance and fast longer sustained fire power.

Again I say this not to poke holes at Cooper but just to question his very rigid definition of the scout rifle 30 years later in context of other changes and advancements. In the early 80s considering optics cost availability and capabilities, available ammo and cartridges (the absence of the mid range AR15 capability like 6.8 and 6.5) differences in material and design and the weight of a rifle and kit and capabilities at that time.

CooterJohnson, Dave41079 and JMJ like this.
  6. JMJ

JMJ Member

I definitely get what you're saying, that's kind of what I'm planning my LR308 to to do is cover his "general purpose rifle" role even though it's a semiauto I feel it'll be a modern equivalent for my purposes.

7. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

To me where the modern semi's fall short is that they can and will jam for whatever reason-dirty, bad ammo, etc. Yes, they are reliable. Until they arent. I have never had a class where at least one ar didnt go down for an issue.

In contrast, a bolt gun, particularly a mauser action, is going to extract pretty much anything short of catastrophic failure.

The gas systems so prevalent today can sometimes be finnicky. I had the forward assist break off inisde my LMT one time, rendering it useless. I know people say that their ar never goes down and its 100 percent reliable. But its rare that one is over a punishing emvironment over time. Also, it doesnt take a whole lot of dirt, sand, grit or bad ammo to make it run finnicky

So, going back to cooper's one rifle, or best all around rifle, if he's hunting in africa or alaska and there's an ammo problem, the bolt gun is going to be less affected.

You can easily find a gun that is better in any one area but I think the concept is still valid if youre looking for something that doesnt fall below a minimum standard in any one area.

CooterJohnson, JMJ and chorpie like this.
  8. JMJ

JMJ Member

I love exchanges like this because they bring up valid concerns that get overlooked by me sometimes when I'm starting to plan future gear purchases!

My current semiauto fascination is being driven more by the current political winds and a limited gear budget. I still want a 308 boltaction at some point in the coming years and this thread has me narrowed down to the ruger GSR and mossberg's MVP patrol 308. I'm just torn between it next or a marlin 45/70 like @91bravo or @ManOfSteel.

9. Dave41079

Dave41079 Member

I'm probably selling my .30-30 Marlin in the near future and I'll either end up with an 1895GBL, or a larger caliber bolt gun. Haven't decided yet. The .30-30 is a fine gun, but I'm planning a trip to Alaska next spring/summer, and a large bore rifle would give me more warm and fuzzies. Plus it's a good excuse to buy a gun, right?

JMJ likes this.
  10. JMJ

JMJ Member

Very much so!!!! I've wanted a 45/70 leveraction ever since marlin released the SBL. Then after owning a a H&R singleshot in the round made the "I wants" so much worse!

Dave41079 likes this.
  11. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Love me some SBL. If ammo wasn't a concern it would be my "one rifle"

12. Expat

I used to be a guy that would buy just about any gun that i liked or was a good deal, etc. as ive gotten older, ive started being more selective in what i keep. In other words, they need to have a apecific purpose that i will use them for. As such, ive gotten rid of some, but ive enjoyed the ones i have and the ones acquired with a purpose a lot more.

13. JMJ

JMJ Member

I don't budget a lot to gun purchases so I tend to plan out what I want years ahead of time. It's caused me to not get firearms I know I would've sold off after trying a friend or acquaintance's. Those two rifles and maybe a Stoger M3500 12ga will finish me out on long gun needs, I'm still having issues believing my auto-5 can't handle all my shotgun needs.

14. Expat

The old auto5? If its the okd one, has the forearm cracked?

15. JMJ

JMJ Member

Synthetic stalker model from 1995-96 light 12 2.75". If I crack that forend I deserve to get the barrel wrapped around my head! My dad has an older Belgian made from the last year or so they were made there. It's forend had cracked, but he lucked out my mom's uncle was a smith and had a few spares.

By far my favorite shotgun design of all time! John Moses Browning was a true genius in every sense of the word, and definitely the father of modern firearms. the free western world has a lot to thank him for.

CooterJohnson likes this.
  16. Expat

That was the first gun I took bird hunting. I was 12 and weighed about 90 pounds. That thing about broke my shoulder. It was my Dad's since high school (early 60's) and now my brother has it now.

I looked that the new A-5's but they just don't feel as nice as the Maxus. Although they do make a new Sweet Sixteen. I'd like to try that one.

JMJ likes this.
  17. JMJ

JMJ Member

I shot a higher sporting clays score with this auto-5 than I did with my Citori I sold. Spent more time worrying I'd scratch it.

18. Expat

I've still got the Citori 425, so I'm a few behind. I don't mind it getting scratched. I'd like to wear it out so I can have an excuse to get the new 725, but no luck so far. I might try to shoot a few rounds of skeet tomorrow with it. I'm sure people wear out the Citoris but it isn't easy.

19. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

Its hard to wear out a Citori. Mine still locks up tight after many 1K's rds. Most of our county school trap teams encourage students to get Citoris or BT-100 due to reliability. I'm hoping for a Kolar or Blaser F3 when my Citori wears out!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    JMJ likes this.
  20. JMJ

JMJ Member

That's the same Citori I had. My dad has a 425 also and I sold mine to my sister so I'll probably end up with dad's some day. Yeah I haven't heard of too many getting wornout, they're very well made. I miss having my 425 sometimes, but I haven't shot skeet or stepped onto a sporting clays field in probably 15yrs.

I was such a fan of JM Browning that a buckmark symbol is my only tattoo.