The Camp-Lore PR4

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Jeff Randall, May 26, 2017.

1. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

WHOA thats a great photo!!!

2. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

Who made the sheath? Wanting a nice kydex sheath for mine...

3. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout Member

So the knife connection had questions about the PR4 scales in their last email. I’ll probably buy some but I dunno if I can deal with the change this knife is just perfect thank you!

shaneadams90 likes this.
  4. Hammer

Hammer Member

Out harvesting sap bombs with the PR4 this afternoon...

[​IMG]

5. Hammer

Hammer Member

The PR4 is back in stock @ Knife Connection.

Jus' sayin.... ;)

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  6. Getnlwr

Getnlwr Member

It's on my list to get. I'll order it at the same time as the AXE and a few others when I can do it all in one order.

7. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Love mine! This is one of my go to cutting combos in the Sonoran desert. IMG_2741.JPG

Strigidae, T-Bone, Mike Smith and 4 others like this.
  8. Getnlwr

Getnlwr Member

I would like to see how it looks next to something line a RB3 or a 4 with the TKC large scales. Just for a size comparison.

9. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Unfortunately I don't have either of those knives. I can take a pic with a few other esee knives tomorrow so you can get an idea of size.

10. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

I will post a pic of it next to the RB3 when I get back from the farm. I’ll see if anyone has a 4 with them and see if I can get that pic also.

11. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

So I got some pics for size comparisons. Some esee, others just commonly owned knives. Also have a mora BCB and Tops BOB if you want size compared to either of those. Anyway, hope this helps as a frame of reference for PR4 size. IMG_3036.JPG IMG_3037.JPG IMG_3038.JPG IMG_3039.JPG

12. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Member

I picked up a PR4 recently and have been giving it a workout. I like it so far.

45DA37D4-4C2B-4E48-A8A2-99A0ECEE4BD4.jpeg

151E2010-A9E6-4ED0-AB79-C3D9F6D667DB.jpeg

F9EA3772-2873-4DDB-BF32-568F068C4162.jpeg

13. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Member

That blue lanyard has really nice contrast. I like it.

14. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Wow! That blue is like a landing beacon! Love it

15. Getnlwr

Getnlwr Member

The one next to the E3 helps a lot. I was mostly interested in the handle size. It gives me a ballpark size. looks like it's a good bit bigger handle than the oem 3/4 handle scales and that's a big plus to me. I'll add it on to my large list of blades to buy and try when the axe comes out.

Just waiting on the axe, and maybe that tiny little 2 finger thing. just because.

Caleb O and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  16. Stewart

Stewart Member

Just pulled the trigger on a PR4 from @5col time to see what all the fuss is about.

mtngoat and 5col like this.
  17. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

I finally got to handle a PR4. My buddy drove in from Wisconsin and brought it. Honestly I am glad I was able to handle one before buying one. I’m not super thrilled about the handle, it felt slimmer then I like. Everything about the knife was great, it just seemed a bit thin.

IW17 and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  18. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Member

I can agree that it is a bit thin. The height of the handle makes up for the thinness a little, but I still find myself wanting more girth in a knife handle. I have decided to use my PR4 without modification to see how the thin handles work for me. Actually, I’ve been surprised so far at how well it handles. It is a little uncomfortable to use when trying to make really deep cuts while carving wood, as the web between my thumb and palm has the force concentrated in a much narrower area than my girthier knives. However, it’s an easy work around. I just use the chest lever grip and make pull cuts instead of push cuts when trying to remove lots of material. It’s a more comfortable method, considering the thin handle. Hopefully that makes sense the way I typed it.

Overall, I’m pleased with the PR4. I don’t like the handle dimensions as much as my LTWK GNS or Benchmade 162, but the advantage is a slimmer carry profile. I can use the PR4 in a way that is nearly as comfortable if I change up my technique a bit. I’m happy with the PR4 and I’m glad I gave it a shot.

Stewart and koolaidnd like this.
  19. Stewart

Stewart Member

So Ive had the PR4 for a week now. I took a punt on this one. I didnt like the look of the handle. I mainly bought it because it comes with a photo of @Patrick Rollins haha.

So thoughts so far. For 100 bucks it has to be the best value kephart on the market. The sheath is great, the grind, edge and general fit is perfect.

The reality for me is I carry a knife more than I use it. The thinner handle on the PR4 makes it dissapear in the pocket and keeps the weight down. I can live with the thinner handle for the ease of carry, this is the same reason I like the esee3. The height of the handle makes up for the thinness for my medium sammich clamps.

Overall Its not going to replace a dedicated carving knife but as a jack of all trades cost effective cutter its hard not to like.

I have two gripes with this knife, 1 is that its ugly, and 2 is the photo of Pattrick is a bit small. Other than that well done Esee!

Strigidae and shaneadams90 like this.
  20. Mtnfolk Mike

Mtnfolk Mike Member

Recently scored a PR4 from 5col.. So far I am loving it.. Such a simple straight forward, user oriented design.. Came with a wicked sharp edge and throws mean sparks from the spine too.. Great job guys..
    I have Med. sized hands and so far the handle seems fine, the sacles are thin, but still comfortable given their design..

I was wondering, do the earlier ones with the Camp-Lore logo, have polished scales ? From what I see in pics, the scales seem a bit darker..
    Mine has the ESEE logo and black oxide finish, the scales have a nice grippy feel to them..

BE779A96-D009-41FF-882E-E765F4B78677.jpeg

Last edited: May 19, 2018