stock 6 sheath retention question

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by JMJ, Sep 28, 2016.

1. JMJ

JMJ Member

Anyone try adding a tensioner screw to the stock 6 sheath? I've been thinking about adding one because the retention seems a little weak for my liking. Only other thing I thought to try was the stock micarta scales to see if they retain better than the TKC's I have on it now, but I really like them on this knife better than my 5.

Looking for any helpful ideas, if I get a wild hair and go for it on adding the tensioner I'll post a pic.

GaryMc likes this.
  2. Mike Perrin

Mike Perrin Administrator Staff Member

Yep, if you change out the stock scales for custom ones it can affect the lock up on the sheath. Trying to add a tension screw set to the standard 6 sheath will likely ruin it. I think I might try putting a very liner, thin shim layer under the scale first to see if that might increase the lock up tension. Mike

JMJ and GaryMc like this.
  3. JMJ

JMJ Member

Thanks Mike I'll try that out.

4. JMJ

JMJ Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I had issues figuring out how to make the liners or what from so I said what the hell I'll mod the sheath, worse case scenario I give a custom kydex maker some money if I screw the stock sheath up. I copied the hardware from the kydex sheath tensioners, but made a single hole instead of the slot the kydex sheaths have and did the drilling with my fingers and drill bits stepping up from smaller to exact fit so I didn't mess things up at high speed. I also made sure to position the screw and nut setup so that it wouldn't make contact with the blade's cutting edge when drawing or returning it to the sheath. I'm completely happy with it and now trust the sheath retention for scout carry.

JAD and Emac like this.
  5. MiamiC70

MiamiC70 Member

Stock plastic sheath is garbage. Just get a TKC Kydex and call it a day.

6. JMJ

JMJ Member

This mod actually makes it retain as well as my kydex sheaths, snaps in and out with a loud click now. But that black with orange rivets and the kryptec mandrake are calling to me.

To be honest I got this 6 for the cost of blade only from TKC, my son gave me his stock sheath and scales when he got a new sheath and custom scales for his birthday. I keep telling myself I'm not putting any more than $70 into it. The TKC scales got swapped off my 5, since the 5's thickness and stock scales feel better to me than the 6 with stock scales.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  7. JAD

JAD Member

@JMJ -- It is always good to really think this stuff through and then go slow (finger drilling - step up holes). My wife will occasionally wander into my shop only to find me staring at something on my bench top. "What are you doing?" suggesting there is something wrong with me :D! Of course all I'm doing is figuring a problem out, like putting a pig tail lanyard on my Candiru. :)

[​IMG]

JMJ likes this.
  8. JMJ

JMJ Member

I've been that way my whole life, even as a little kid I'd read the instruction books for my lego sets before I'd start building. And I always had older adults in my life preaching the "measure twice, cut once" mantra. My wife's learned when I'm working on things if all's calm all's well, it's when the cussing and throwing stuff starts I messed something up.

I like that Candiru! I love the one Emac gave my wife for Christmas, it's been tempting me to get myself one.

Emac likes this.
  9. JAD

JAD Member

Here's a profile of it with 4 different sheaths for carrying.

[​IMG]

JMJ likes this.
  10. Spey

Spey Member

First thing I did to my 6 was to add a liner to the palm-side scale (wanted to add a little thickness to the handle and years ago found a preference for slightly asymmetrical handles - fuller on the palm-side - same for rifles & shotguns). This is 45-mil sheet EPDM rubber (similar to what inner-tubes are made out of.

Side benefit was a slight increase in the molded sheath retention (just as Mike references).

Pic of 6 next to 3 each with single EPDM liner on each knife.
    [​IMG]

JMJ likes this.