Silky vs Sven

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by 91bravo, Oct 21, 2016.

1. 91bravo

91bravo Guest

An older review I did between a Silky Bigboy medium teeth and a 21" Sven.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Bigboy is big! A Junglas for reference.
    [​IMG]

Bigboy open
    [​IMG]

The 21" Sven
    [​IMG]

Actual cutting edges
    [​IMG]

The Silky has a second blade position you can lock it into. This position is used for under cuts.
    [​IMG]

The rubber coated handle of the Silky is very ergonomic and comfortable.
    [​IMG]

The Silky has a thin flexy blade.
    [​IMG]

It only cuts on the pull stroke, so there is a slight learning curve in order not to bind up and kink your blade.
    [​IMG]

The piece the Silky cut. Approximately 4"x3".
    [​IMG]

The wood shavings are really teeny weeny little curls.
    [​IMG]

The Sven cuts in both directions.
    [​IMG]

The piece the Sven cut.
    [​IMG]

You can see the major difference in TPI.
    [​IMG]

I've had both of these saws for years now and both are wood cutting beasts! With the Silky you put pressure on the pull stroke and let off on the push stroke so you don't bind it up. With the Sven, the blade is anchored at both ends, so you can pretty much saw away like a madman! After actual use, I'd say that the Sven is a little more robust and cuts just slightly faster than the Silky. Probably due to the larger teeth. With the Silky, I like the convenience of it folding/locking just like a knife. It's smooth on the cut and very ergonomic to cut with and less fatiguing than the Sven. If you end up dropping the wingnut for the Sven, you're pretty much stuck with a useless saw., not so with the Silky.

Marty W, JAD and AddictedToSteel like this.
  2. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

I loaned a Big Boy to a buddy and he got going and tried to cut on the push, binding up the blade and breaking about a third off the end. He replaced the blade, but I have not swapped it out since the stub still cuts pretty well. Love my Big Boy.

3. JAD

JAD Member

Yep. Do not let a novice use your Gomboy or any Japanese style "pull" blade. They will just be frustrated and probably break your blade in the process. I've had two people do this to my Gomboy despite me telling them "PULL SAW" dammit.