Shingle Creek Winter Camping

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by artigas, Feb 12, 2020.

1. artigas

artigas Member

I went camping up Shingle Creek in Uintas past Kamas, UT. My brother, two bro-in-laws, and 10 year-old nephew made up the crew.

We parked at the trail head and hiked about 1.5 miles in before finding a place to duck off the trail to camp. The trail was packed enough to not need snowshoes, but as soon as you got off the trail, snowshoes were needed. We hiked down to the creek-bed and had to try and pack down the snow where we pitched tents.

As you can see in the pics below, the snow was probably almost 3' deep. I think we burned 6 tress that were dead and leaning upright near our camping spot. It turned into a wide fire pit that slowly burned down to ground level.

I slept in my BA Copper Spur with a closed-cell pad under a BA insulated air pad. My BA sleeping bag is rated for 17 degrees, and while I slept fine, it might be time to get a 0 degree bag soon. It was a fun time with good company.

I took a TM Hunt Yuma, but really didn't use any small blades, as the fire was eating large chunks of tree that the sven saw handled. A picture was still warranted. The Hill People kit carried a firearm and other goodies. The trip was finished with the top-rated fritters in the state. They were amazing with some Tillamook chocolate milk.

Starting out:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sweating from hiking...gotta lose some weight
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fire pit that eats trees
    [​IMG]

Yuma
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The reward. Apple and blueberry fritters.

[​IMG]

Adventurer, JV3, C99c and 5 others like this.
  2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

The fire pit picture is awesome!!