Savage 42 Combo 22lr/410 Takedown

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by McKROB, Nov 7, 2019.

1. McKROB

McKROB Member

2. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

I used to think the idea was cool. Then I came to realize that .22lr and .410 have very similar hunting capabilities in a survival situation. In a survival situation I am unlikely to be wasting ammo shooting birds on the fly or game on the run, rather use one .22lr cartridge and shoot them perched or on the ground. Guess I'm just not impressed with .410 in a non sporting context.

What I do see as a valuable combination gun would be something like a .22lr barrel with a 12 gauge or high power rifle chambered barrel. That makes the weapon truly big game capable while keeping the ability to hunt small game with a plentiful and easy to carry in quantity round. Even better make it a .22mag, not that much bigger than .22lr and alot more power.

I think alot of the combination guns came out of Europe and regulations on how many guns a person could own. Buy your self a combo rifle/shogun and it only counts as one but gives you the capabilities of both.

3. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Wish I still had this one, 223 over 12ga.
    And you can get chamber adapters for the 223 for 22lr or 22mag.
    IMG_20170406_202027.jpg

4. McKROB

McKROB Member

This was mainly meant to be a small take-down gun I can keep in the truck, or under the seat of the snowmobile or in the ATV box while I’m at work, as a survival rifle, or more likely to shoot a grouse or two when they are in season and I’m on my way to/from work. I have a little Marlin Papoose that fills that roll right now nicely.

I also have an old single shot Remington .410 I quite like for grouse, they are usually really close and easy shots like 20 yards or less. I shot one last year with the .12 Ga at 20 yards and it literally blew it apart, there was nothing left to eat, the .410 is just as effective at these close ranges and causes way less damage.

I wanted to try the Savage 42 but there were a lot of mixed reviews about it, and it seems pricey for what you’re getting ($600 CAD). I ended up getting the Chiappa Double Badger. It’s seems well made and I like the fact that it has a removable choke. And the price was much better at $450 CAD. My only beef so far is that they don’t use an easily removable pivot pin to make it a true take down instead of a folder. When the 42 came out it was the same way, but they changed this fairly soon after release using a pin instead of a bolt so it could be taken apart much quicker. I wonder if I can mod the Chiappa?

2AC6128B-FA0A-45E8-B047-05DED38A42CF.jpeg

D93450AA-1597-416B-A700-F786A06BB070.jpeg

Strigidae likes this.
  5. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

That is a cool gun, Russian made?

McKROB likes this.
  6. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Early 90's Savage made in USA

Zeek likes this.