S35v or 1095?

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Strigidae, Feb 29, 2020.

?

S35v or 1095?

1. S35v

16 vote(s)
    25.4%
  2. 1095

47 vote(s)
    74.6%
  1. Kaw-liga

Kaw-liga Member

+1 to those that say it depends on the job at hand. I've got quite a few workhorse folding knives with nice Bohler or Crucible steels. They require a LOT less edge and rust maintenance than my 1095 blades. But I've also chipped or broken quite a few stainless blades doing much less than what I ask of 1095. Trade offs are real.

2. Ossian

Ossian Member

My first fixed blade purchase was the esee 4. I was pretty disappointed with edge retention at first. My folding knives were Spyderco vg10 and S30V, good steels for my everyday use, cardboard and various abrasive materials. I got spoiled with not having to sharpen everyday. However esee’s 1095 has a different purpose, soon I was hooked. Easy to sharpen after an evening of fire prep and various camp activities, takes a nice edge. I think the new esee s35vn knives are the right models to introduce the steel, thin with the right blade length. Like it has been stated previously each steel has it’s own niche.

Kaw-liga and BobbyRatTail like this.
  3. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Has anyone changed their minds?

4. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Nope

Strigidae likes this.
  5. Marty Reno

Marty Reno Member

Voted s35. Used it a lot. It's good probably like it more than 1095. Blasphemy I know. But hey I'll go against the grain. Don't have an Esse in s35 yet but I'm positive it will be superb. Look forward to it. My Sebenza 21 is a beast tho. And it's s35. Plus s35 was made specifically for the knife industry. With input from Chris Reeve. So it's good no doubt.

Vinton and BobbyRatTail like this.
  6. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

I’m gonna be the pain and say neither... I would love to see more in the 440c stainless. But if I had to pick it would be 1095

BobbyRatTail likes this.
  7. Frigin

Frigin Member

I still like my 1095 but I like the design of the xancudo turning int a favorite

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  8. JHansenAK47

JHansenAK47 Member

I like my new 3d s35vn ESEE3. It has good thin cutting geometry and properly hardened, instead of being too soft, and works better for me than 1095. I honestly wouldn't want the knife in 1095.

Vinton and CWB like this.