RTIC Coolers.

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by ManOfSteel, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Theo

Theo Member

hmmm may pick up a lunchbox. Looks like a great size for motorcycle camping.

2. IW17

IW17 Member

Yeah their still on sale but I'm only interested in a 65. A 45 is nice but it's not big enough for my needs. I have plenty of coolers that size and they don't hold enough to justify the cost. I'm looking for something that will hold enough food and drinks for my family of four, for a three day weekend, or for myself for 7-10 days, on a hunting or fishing trip.

ManOfSteel likes this.
  3. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Gotcha. That's exactly what pushed me towards the 65 in the first place. It held food and drinks for 4 for 4 days.

4. IW17

IW17 Member

Exactly. The 45 doesn't hold enough for long trips. It's a great size for a day trip for the family. But I don't need it to hold ice very long in that scenario.

5. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

The blue ones weren't on sale, so no miss there.

6. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Well I ****ed up. My dad brought me fresh shrimp from his buddy's shrimp boat in NC and I forgot them in the cooler. That was LAST MONTH. I opened it tonight and almost lost my dinner all over the front lawn. Besides bleach and hot water, anyone got any ideas how to get that stink out of it? I scrubbed and cleaned it as best I can but it still smells. It's MUCH better than it was but it's still not something I want to smell.

7. Boker55

Boker55 Member

Simple green and vinegar.

Ps. Yeah you ****ed up.

ManOfSteel likes this.
  8. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I certainly did. It had 2 dozen beers in it and an Artic Ice ice pack. Everything went right in the trash. I'm going to try Simple Green tomorrow with a fresh sponge.

9. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I would scrub that with simple green and fine steel wool until my arm was about to fall off.

Then, I would take a few cups of hydrogen peroxide and pour in there. Some really hot water and a box of baking soda.

After that did it's thing for awhile. I'd scrub it with vinegar.

Then every time I stored it for long period of time, I'd place an open box of baking soda in there. You might eventually get rid of the smell.

Zeek and ManOfSteel like this.
  10. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I'm going to give the steel wool with simple green a shot. Then I'll do the baking soda and hot water after. If it doesn't work this thing will be demoted to just a fishing cooler and I'll buy another one for everything else.

11. Expat

I'm thinking the sun will eventually bake it out. I'm just not sure how bad it is. I'm sure you're not the first one to do this. I'm betting there are hacks online to fix it.

12. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

It's not as bad as it sounds now. It's been cold here and the cooler was sealed shut. In summer it would've been MUCH worse.

13. timdgsr

timdgsr Member

I would say soak that sucker in 50/50 water & vinegar for a few days, then dump it and let the sun bake it.

ManOfSteel likes this.
  14. erik

erik Member

according to the bison coolers website:
    After thoroughly rinsing the cooler, drop one tablespoon of liquid dish soap and a quarter to half cup of baking soda into the cooler. Add a generous spray of water and scrub using a green dish scrubbing pad. Rinse the cooler again, then liberally spray with Clorox Anywhere sanitizing spray. Leave the lid open and allow the spray to dry. That's it. Clorox Anywhere contains sodium hypochlorite, a component of bleach. It is food safe and will not bleach fabrics, but it handily kills fish smells. If you still detect an odor from your Brute Outdoors Cooler, simply reapply Clorox anywhere.

Zeek likes this.
  15. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

16. McKROB

McKROB Member

From the Yeti website:

"Austin, Texas (February 2, 2017) — YETI®, the leading premium cooler and drinkware brand, is pleased to announce that a binding settlement has been reached in the United States District Court lawsuits brought against RTIC Coolers and brothers John and Jim Jacobsen.

RTIC Coolers and the Jacobsens are required to make a financial payment to YETI; to cease sales of all products subject to the lawsuit – this includes hard-sided coolers, soft-sided coolers and drinkware; and to redesign all products in question.

YETI CEO Matt Reintjes stated, “We are extremely pleased with the results we have achieved. We will continue to defend our innovation and intellectual property. This is a true win.”

Further details will be shared as they become available. YETI is not available for further comment on this topic at this point."

koolaidnd likes this.
  17. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

My MIL did that with leftover steak from a camping trip. I used straight bleach in a spray bottle to get it clean. Add some lemon juice to kill the smell

18. Zeek

Zeek Member

Here is another variation... same as you would use for a skunk.

1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide
    1/4 cup baking soda
    1 teaspoon liquid dishwashing soap

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  19. erik

erik Member

well - now we know why the big sale, and why the warranty dropped to 30 days.

20. Expat