Rifle shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting & Fireams Training / Skills' started by SMD226, Sep 5, 2017.

1. SMD226

SMD226 Member

I have been shooting for most of my life and the entire time I'd keep improving except in handguns so about a year ago I started focusing on handguns and now I'm noticing my skill with a rifle isn't as good as I thought. I want to change that I used to be able to shoot out to 200 yards with just iron sights but my eyes have been getting pretty bad(I do have a tumor in my right eye) now I can't push it much past 50 yards. What do you all recommend I start doing? Thank you!

2. HelRaiser

HelRaiser Member

This could be due to a number of things. If you've been focusing on your handgun skills at the cost of spending less time on rifles, then you could be having a harder time getting back into the swing of shooting at long distance. I'm making the assumption there that you're not shooting at 200 yards with handguns. If it's a lack of practice, then I'd recommend you just start at a closer range with rifles and work your way back up to the distance you used to shoot at. If that IS the problem, then make sure you work in plenty of handgun practice too so you're not making this same thread but about handguns in a year.

If the problems are age, or medical related, then your limits are mechanical in nature. A man with one hand won't grow his other hand back if he trains really hard. Now depending on what symptoms are giving you problems, you might be able to overcome those on an individual basis - but that's a discussion for you to have with your doctor, or someone who's going through the same thing who might have tailored advice to give.

If you can't overcome those limits, then you're left with working around them and finding an alternative that works for you. Maybe you can't shoot at distance with irons anymore, maybe you need optics of some kind. If you're shooting at targets for recreational purposes, maybe you should move your targets closer? If you're shooting for fun, there's no point in being frustrated. There's no prizes given out for missing at longer distance, so do what works for you. I hope you find a solution of some kind, and get back to putting shots on target.

SMD226 and Reno Lewis like this.
  3. olderguy

olderguy Member

Age for me has been the adjuster for rifle shooting. 100 yds and under are the rule of the day now. Red dot sights have been a great addition to my AR but I still prefer a good scope for my varmint rifle.

SMD226 likes this.
  4. Packrat

Packrat Member

Don't know the rifle but a variable power scope may help if the irons aren't as clear as they used to be,lots of options out there.
    We don't forget how to shoot,but to stay sharp,nothing beats range time.Good luck sir...

SMD226 likes this.
  5. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

When going to the range, I have special glasses that allow me to focus only on the front sighted my handgun.

I rarely use open sights on a rifle. As we age we must make adjustments.

Generally if one can shoot a handgun, they can shoot a rifle, until wind and distance estimation come into play at extreme distances.

SMD226, Zeek and STPNWLF like this.
  6. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Hold on Mr Bad guy, don't move while I put on my glasses:eek::rolleyes:;)

SMD226 and Zeek like this.
  7. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

That is correct in some ways, but there are more reasons to shoot a handgun than preparing for self defense. It is a blast to hit targets at 150 yards with a handgun.

SMD226, Zeek and STPNWLF like this.
  8. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Oh I agree with you, just find it amusing seeing someone at a range (archery/firearms) in flip-flops brag how good a shot they are. Then see them in the real world full hunt/tacticool gear shooting for S#!T and can't even get a whiff:p

SMD226 likes this.
  9. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

IMG_1651.JPG I don't wear flip flops to the range...

SMD226, STPNWLF and Zeek like this.
  10. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

LMAO, thanks for the laugh I needed that.
    Just taking a short break from hurricane prep.

SMD226 likes this.
  11. KMCMICHAEL

KMCMICHAEL Member

My daughter is in Jacksonville. She does not know yet if their company will evacuate.

SMD226 and STPNWLF like this.
  12. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

1- prepare to hunker down
    Or
    2- don't wait till last minute to evac

SMD226 and Zeek like this.
  13. Stray Round

Stray Round Member

There is no shame going to optics.
    And dry fire a lot to maintain skills and develop positions and hold.

SMD226 and STPNWLF like this.
  14. SMD226

SMD226 Member

Thank you everyone. Ive never liked scopes I never really used them until I got into hunting. I guess I always associated it with being less of a marksman. I also have glasses but they don't seem to help with rifle as much as they have with pistol. I will start putting more practice to rifle I'll have to split them Ive been trying to shoot every weekend this weekend I'll bring the .22 along to practice and I'll look more into scopes for everything. One more thing any advice on dryfireing exercises?

STPNWLF likes this.
  15. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Associating Scopes with being less of a marksman:eek: don't say that to a military snipero_O
    It's just a matter of getting older,adapt and overcome:D may mean making some compromises to what your used to.
    Evolution- adapt or die.

Zeek and SMD226 like this.
  16. SMD226

SMD226 Member

Well, I went to the range on Sunday to try ironsites one more time and I couldn't push it reasonably past 50 yards without my groups opening up a lot. I guess I'll be looking to scopes and such anyone have any advice? It would be for a Springfield m1A a wasr 10 and a AR 15

17. Swampdog

Swampdog Member

I'm a big fan of Leupold scopes made here in the USA, a basic starter would be a VX-1 3 - 9 x 40mm scope.

Do a web search for SWFA in Midlothian, TX for scope shopping.

SMD226, Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  18. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

One thing I really like as I get older is a scope with a side focus. It allows me to easily fine tune the the optic without reaching all the way to the objective.

SMD226 likes this.