Recommendations for the Denver Area?

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Goose, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Goose

Goose Member

I just had a family member move to the Denver CO area, which means I now have a place to crash while traveling there. :D I am currently in MN, but I'm starting exhaust the worthwhile areas to explore out here. I am looking to finally get into some mountainous terrain, but there are so many areas out there that I dont even know where to start. I am planning on flying out there a couple times a year.

So I am just looking for some local knowledge of some good spots to explore. I'd also be interested if anybody wants to link up for a trip.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  2. inconel710

inconel710 Member

Congratulations! I used to live in Colorado Springs and would move back in a heartbeat.

My favorite spot for backpacking was Lost Creek Wilderness Area. I came in from the south at the Goose Creek trail head, but there are trail heads on the north side as well. Part of the Colorado Trail goes through that end as well. http://www.coloradotrail.org/hike.html

It's covered pretty well by this map - http://www.natgeomaps.com/trail-map...maps/colorado/tarryall-mountains-kenosha-pass

There's lots of trip reports out there for the area. Have fun!

Goose and Theodore like this.
  3. olderguy

olderguy Member

inconel710 and Goose like this.
  4. erik

erik Member

I love the bear lake loop in RMNF just south of Estes Park -- especially in Sept after most of the tourists are gone and the elk are bugling.

Goose likes this.