Price willing to pay for a folder?

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Scott Whittington, Jan 6, 2017.

?

What price range is your cut off on buying a folder?

1. Screw Folders!

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. 1-100

15 vote(s)
    14.4%
  3. 101-250

51 vote(s)
    49.0%
  4. 251-400

22 vote(s)
    21.2%
  5. 401-551

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  6. 550-1000

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. Sky is the limit if I like it and quality is there!

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. T-103

T-103 Member

Canadian Dollars...yes, Realistically...the proof is in the pudding, some of the other folders I have function just as well. I liked the looks...can't fault a guy there. SOG was my brand of choice as I entered the wonderful world of blades.

2. JHansenAK47

JHansenAK47 Member

I have bought some expensive knives in the past, nowadays I have a finite income and would rather not buy redundancies. I do still insist on having good knives, but the actual knife just isn't as important anymore. It is more important that it is functional, but it doesn't have to be optimum

3. the925life

the925life Member

I'm all over the board. Opinel to S&W to Gerber to SAK to Spyderco to Benchmade to ZT to Hinderer to CRK.

Rockstead speaks to me.

Mountainmistwanderer likes this.
  4. patrickknight

patrickknight Member

Since its not listed my general range is 100-150. I feel I can get a good knife here that will CUT in that price range with quality materials and good fit and finish. For my folders I have zero interest in these folding prybars I want a knife that cuts good. This is why I have pretty much settled on Spyderco for most of my folding knife needs.

5. Nether

Nether Member

I may some day buy a John Grimsmo knife. Well over a grand. Just to have that level of engineering. But it will probably turn out to be more pipe dream than reality.

6. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Today I got to handle a Hinderer for the first time...a couple 3.5s and a Half Track (loved the HT...had an inflated price tag of 589)...I personally have never spent more than 50 on a folder. I have traded into a few nicer blades (a couple zt350s,a zt560 and a Spyderco Manix2). I loved all of them but ended up selling them all to pay bills. I definitely think you get what you pay for with folders (all knives for that matter). The only folders I currently own are a Kershaw Cryo and a Spyderco Tenacious and Im quite happy with them...I would like to own another zt350 or a 566 and I think Id be set on folders

7. Stone

Stone Member

My vote was "screw folders".

Fixed blades only in this camp.

RB3, Mora, Izula, Helle, 6HM ...

Zeek likes this.
  8. Scott Whittington

Scott Whittington Member

We had a guy walk in off the street on Tuesday. He owned a couple of Kershaws and with in 15 minutes of being in the store stated he could never justify spending more than $75 on a knife. It was a rare time I was not stupid busy and he was a nice guy and fun to talk to, so I spent a lot of time with him. He was curious about more expensive knives and was mostly interested in fixed blades. We went through a couple of $250+ customs and then got to the ESEE knives. He ended up spending $75 on an Izula 2 after I showed him my 10+ year old ESEE/RAT 3, and after I explained the warranty. He went home that night, did some more research and came back the next day and bought an ESEE 6. Today he showed up and started asking about folders. We took him around and showed him some options. At the end of the day he had a Hinderer XM-18 3.5 Skinner, a Large Inkosi with Micarta Inlays and a ZT0562CF all laid out beside each other. I do not think I have ever seen a customer struggle so much with a decision. He ended up getting the ZT0562CF but if I was a betting man, I would bet the price of that knife, that he will be back in next week for the Inkosi. Just thought it was relevant, especially since his limit more than tripled in a weeks time. Once he got some knowledge and his hands on the knives!

9. Jpadia

Jpadia Member

We'll, I'm late to this party, but I usually buy around $200. I love the older Kershaw's which are much cheaper. I currently own 2 Hinderers though and I have purchased a Rockstead Hizen (since sold it). I'll never do that again because I was afraid to use it for everything. Damn nice knife though. I'd buy a no choil 3" Hinderer slicer in a heartbeat.

10. C99c

C99c Member

Changed my vote. I want to replace my normally carried Delica with something a little different and made in the USA and nothing under $100 interests me.

Looks like I'll be spending between $150 and $200 when I decide which one I want.

11. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

How about adding that 150 and 200 together and getting something super sweet.

12. Zeek

Zeek Member

Folders suck !!!

Stone likes this.
  13. C99c

C99c Member

I'll never spend more than $200 on a knife. It's just not worth it to me, personally.
    I'm glad folks are happy with their CRKs, Hinderers, etc but they just dont interest me and I don't feel that anything is gained in spending $300 vs $150 when looking at performance for a daily carried tool.

Honestly, I'd rather spend $50, but I understand that companies like Spyderco and Benchmade have a lot of overhead with material costs, legal fees fighting those crooks that produce fakes (and the d-bags that knowingly buy them...), R&D, etc.

14. Mountainmistwanderer

The saying is true...
    The best knife is the one you have with you

C99c likes this.
  15. C99c

C99c Member

True. And the Vic Spartan I have in my pocket today will do everything I really need so even my $150-$200 could be better spent elsewhere.
    Like a long hike. I hear they have a cool library in Argentina.

Mountainmistwanderer likes this.
  16. Mountainmistwanderer

My Sebenza is out for work. My DPX Milspec F is out for work. So that leaves me with my Zancudo since my lockable folder collection is that. It does everything I need it to do.

C99c likes this.
  17. Zeek

Zeek Member

Dude... you got some bad karma.:D Better get some of that good sh!t off @Bcamos.

18. Mountainmistwanderer

No bad karma. The Sebenza is at Quill Artistry for a complete overhaul. File work. Engraving and other stuff. The DPX is with ese6&3 for a new scale. I should have the DPX back soon enough but the Zancudo is filling the gap just fine.

19. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I used to spend over $400 for folders without thinking.

Now, I've got way more money than I ever did before and I wouldn't dream of spending over $100. I'm pretty much only carrying my Buck 110 that I bought at Walmart for $30 every day.

I'm all for guys spending all their money on whatever they want. That's why you earn it. So this isn't criticism of anything.

But, I've found that over time, my tastes and preferences have changed. What has also changed is my perspective of folders. I used to think if I didn't have a Sebenza or a Strider, the knife would fall apart when I tried to pry something, or whatever. I have come to realize that a.) no knife is immune from breaking, and b.) cheaper knives will hold up a lot better than I ever thought.

Frankly, I don't ever see myself buying another folder. Walmart has some Buck 110's on clearance for $17, so I'm pondering getting one or two of them to put back for the future. But unless I break one of my SAK, I'm pretty much good.

I'm just providing this as background on a certain type of knife customer so Whitty can add it to his intel file for marketing purposes one day. I know there are others like me out there as we're the ones hanging out at Blade talking to people and not really looking at the knives :)

jacktrades_nbk and C99c like this.
  20. Mountainmistwanderer

While I do own a CRK and a DPX that is the extent of my pricey folders. Got rid of my 2 other CRK's and pricey folders. I'll probably never buy another one at those prices. My SAK is the most useful knife I have.

C99c and Zeek like this.