Preserving Old Threads

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AddictedToSteel, Sep 10, 2016.

1. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Question: While there is much over on the other forum that can and should be left behind when that forum is shut down for good, there are other threads that it would be nice to move over so they are not lost. My question is: Is there an efficient way to bring a thread over intact? I can think of ways that are time consuming and would involve considerable effort, but is there a simple way to grab an entire thread and copy it to here?

DSD likes this.
  2. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Here is an example of what I would like to preserve. BryFry's thread on his modded Junglas inspired me to try modding my own knives. Periodically I would bump it back to the top for the new members to see what kind of craftsmanship and personalization it possible with an ESEE knife without voiding the warranty.

http://jungletraining.com/forums/sh...dded-my-Junglas-lots-o-pics&highlight=junglas

And then how he did it. http://jungletraining.com/forums/sh...ics-how-I-modded-my-Junglas&highlight=junglas

There are other threads out there like this one, Crowdog has some amazing stuff where he modded an Opinel, the spine on a 5, the thread about the cribbage board, etc. Things like that are institutional for us and should not be flushed down the memory hole. There are many thread where people have put a lot of time and effort into something and to see it lost forever would be a shame.

Also, since the reply with quote button is no longer available, I might be able to copy the text from a thread, but I believe I would lose the references to the pictures and BryFry's Junglas needs to be seen to truly appreciate it.

Here is an attempt to just copy and paste the OP in the first thread:

Personalized/modded my Junglas, lots-o-pics
    Hello all! I just joined the forum and thought I'd share some pics of my modded Junglas.

What I've done to it so far is: Etched it, stripped it, gave it a choil, jimping, rounded the spine, filework on tang, brushed finish w/ gunblue patina, shaping, texuring, and dye job on handle scales, fresh sharpening, and added a few things to the sheath. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Used Feibings leather dye (mahogony color) on the scales and soon found out there was an issue with the color bleeding off, so I cleaned the scales with rubbing alcohol until no more color would transfer to my cloth. This left the scales looking a somewhat lighter purple-ish color. I then gave it several coats of spray on outdoor clearcoat, which darkened the scales up quite a bit. This is what they look like now, after the refinish and also after a weekend of hard use.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Took it out camping last week, and I'm really happy with it! The knife performs great to begin with, and personalizing it just makes me enjoy it that much more! [​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

-------------------------------------------------------

Looks like it brought the pictures with it. SWEET!!!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    MarriedTheMedic and JMJ like this.
  3. JMJ

JMJ Member

Good call on this thread! That Bryfry thread was my inspiration for modding some of mine also. Still the sexiest Junglas I've seen!

Glad to see you here also ATS!

MarriedTheMedic likes this.
  4. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Thanks. I thought about abbreviating my name to just ATS, but figured I would stick with the original.