Out of state hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting and Fishing' started by Rook52, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Rook52

Rook52 Member

As everyone knows I tend to linger around the hunting area of this forum. Lots of great stories and pictures. I wanted to start this thread in hopes it would catch on and we can help each other out.
    Our merry band of misfits are located everywhere so why not share hunting information. Things that can help out of towners hunt different areas. I’m not asking to give away secret honey holes but maybe point in the direction of a good unit, good chunk of public, or areas to stay away from.
    To many times I’ll read forums and guys refuse to share information to non residents. I see there point too. Lots of time and money are spent to find secret spots, just to give it away to someone you don’t know. Well I want to change that on this forum. If anyone wants to hunt Wisconsin specifically Chippewa county area just ask. I can point you to some great whitetail areas, pheasant, fishing, and @Expat secret grouse hunting spot. I can’t guarantee success but at least you should see game if you hunt hard.
    I’m looking to do a DYI hunt next year out west. I’m not hung up on a state but from what I found out Idaho, Colorado, Montana, and Nebraska are easier to get tags. I’m looking to hunt either mule deer or antelope. Possibly both. Any one with info I’d love to hear about it. I also have lots of information about guide hunts so if someone is looking for an outfitter, hit me up.

2. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

Yeah. And I’m going on Rook’s trip with him too, so y’all give us some good info!

3. Kevo

Kevo Member

I don't have much info to give but I could use some help!

4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I could but it's a long drive for you :D

Kevo likes this.
  5. IW17

IW17 Member

I'm looking at doing an out of state hunt this year or next. I'm trying for diy and around $2k total. Something with otc tags and public land. I'm thinking Wyoming pronghorn but what I hear it's mostly private land that you pay to get on. I'd rather stick to something blm or state owned. Any state will do, really any species as well. Any suggestions?

The Marsh Gorilla and Rook52 like this.
  6. Rook52

Rook52 Member

I’ve been looking a lot at Idaho that seems super non res friendly it’s just over whelming to figure out a unit.
    Does anyone subscribe to Eastman hunting magazine? I was thinking about it to help with the draw system.
    Good luck with your adventure,

The Marsh Gorilla, 480 RUGER and IW17 like this.
  7. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

I live 25 miles from Idaho, it is a great outdoor state, lots of public land and easy tags. The thing you need to do in any western state is decide what species you want to hunt and then be realistic with yourself about how challenging of a hunt you are up for. you can then start doing your research. Even living this close I picked an area last year near Salmon Idaho that we had hunted very successfully for Mule Deer a few years ago. We got there with the usual hunters high hopes only to realize after a few days of hard hunting and marathon glassing that there had been a huge winter kill in 2017 and there were basically no mature bucks to be found. We had a great time but didn't see any bucks where we could hunt that were what we were looking for? Some of these areas change very quickly and no matter what you think you know do your homework!! I have lived and or hunted in Wyoming, Colorado, Washington Idaho and Montana. If there is anything I can help you with let me know

8. Rook52

Rook52 Member

Nice! @480 RUGER so can you point me to just a unit that’s good for a first timer. I’m in pretty good shape I’m not afraid to work hard. I have realistic expectations just want a start. Oh I should say that I’m looking in to Idaho mule deer. I’m not looking to kill the biggest buck in that state just a great experience. Kinda want a mountain/ timber area. Once I can narrow down to a unit I’ll just get topos and start to grind. Thank you in advance !!!!

The Marsh Gorilla, 480 RUGER and IW17 like this.
  9. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

Sorry for the late reply, we are trying to decide where to go this year not going to be good in the Salmon area for a few years. We are looking at the Southeast corner near Pocatello and Bear Lake units 73, 74, 76.... I have not personally hunted this area but seems like the deer numbers are good and I have hunted the other side of the line in Wyoming with good success. We are also looking at unit 44 and a couple of nearby units, they also have good deer numbers but are pretty popular so you would have to work a bit to get away from other hunters. If you have not hunted out west the style of hunting and even some of the equipment can be quite a bit different. Even most of my Washington buddies are surprised how much different it is from what they are used to. I'm not some big expert but I will be happy to help any way I can

10. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    Planning an out of state trip this November. Will be a self-guided, hike in, camp, elk hunt on public land in southwest Colorado.

We have the unit picked out based upon some advice from a friend who is local. He is helping us with tags, point system, and such.

The process is still a challenge. Sorting out a gear list not only for hunting, but also to camping. Trying to figure out how to get in shape for the altitude while living in the lowlands.

The scenario has lots of variables in play. Understanding that likely only one of us will get the opportunity to pull the trigger. Will
    Be happy for the adventure package with or without taking an elk.

The Marsh Gorilla and 480 RUGER like this.
  11. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

That part of Colorado is an amazing place to hunt, I went to high school in Montrose and my family still lives there and in Durango. This the part of the country I grew up hunting and still try to get back there when I can. Lots of elk and plenty of deer. It is also pretty forgiving country compared to a lot of other places I have hunted but the elevation is something to be ready for.

The Marsh Gorilla and SEMO like this.
  12. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

image.jpg image.jpg Been a few years since I have been able to get back to Colorado but here is a couple of bucks we took there. The bigger one is my buddies first Mule Deer

13. SEMO

SEMO Member

Southeast MO, Mississippi River Bottom flatland
    Awesome!
    Great pics of the deer.
    We are headed out close to Lewis, which is NW of Durango. Unit 71.

480 RUGER likes this.
  14. Rook52

Rook52 Member

Wow nice deer!

The Marsh Gorilla and 480 RUGER like this.
  15. 480 RUGER

480 RUGER Member

There are some Great bucks up in those high mountain bowls. Good vantage points and patient glassing should get you an opportunity at a Really nice deer

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.