Newish To Firearms- need advice

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by OutdoorsFamilyMan, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Frigin

Frigin Member

Yeah I got it like the week before all this covid happened online for $.26 so 33 isn’t bad considering

2. Frigin

Frigin Member

That’s with my 8F9510B5-4675-4AAA-82B7-7352229BDF5D.png prime account though.

The Marsh Gorilla and goon like this.
  3. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Also just a heads up, PSAs shipping times seem to be back to normal, I ordered a pistol build kit Saturday and it shipped out early this morning. Haven't heard on my lower I ordered shipping but nearly every gun shop locally has at least two different brands of stipped lowers in stock for 40 to 70 bucks a pop.

OutdoorsFamilyMan, ASH and goon like this.
  4. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

@OutdoorsFamilyMan

Noticed Psa has their basic rifle lower on sale and nearly back to pre panic prices, throw on this mid length free float upper with a nickle boron BCG and you have a sweet rifle that will be really easy to up grade as you get the cash. For sights initially there is nothing wrong with magpul mbus sights. Figure around 600 dollars to have it completely built and in your hands. There are a few carbine length 16 inch uppers but for a few dollars more if you want a 16 inch barrel midlength is the way to go.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar15-complete-classic-stealth-lower.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...pper-with-nickel-boron-bcg-ch-5165449606.html

They also have some ar pistol uppers and lowers in stock for okay prices if that's more what your interested in.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  5. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

I’m definitely more interested in the AR pistol as it is more home defense friendly. I think I’m actually gonna take your guys’ advice and just focus on a handgun at the moment. Just hit up a few local shops and one was completely wiped out and the other way too high priced. They wanted almost 400 for a Shield. I don’t even know if it was the 2.0 or not. Looking a few other places and online...PSA has a Ruger EC9s for 250 and a shield (no safety) for 290. Would you pay the 40 more for the shield?

6. ASH

ASH Member

I really wouldn't suggest such a small pistol for home defense or to a new shooter. Those pistols are really made for easy concealment, a larger pistol is much more user-friendly.

7. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

I’m not necessarily a new shooter, I’ve shot handguns a dozen times or more. This is going to be my ccw piece and home defense piece. I wanted it smaller so my wife can get used to it as well and eventually get one for her too.

8. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Smaller isnt always better for introducing new shooters, my girlfriend has her own sig P365 but she is much more confident with my sig P320 compact with a medium size grip on it. Personally for ergos, parts/accessories availability and price I dont think a base model p320 compact in 9mm can be beat as an all around pistol, should be able to get one into your hands for right around 500 even.

Kevin, The Marsh Gorilla and ASH like this.
  9. ASH

ASH Member

I haven't shot a shield, but I have a similar sized Kel Tec p11 and the smaller bodyguard 380. Those little sub compacts recoil more and are more difficult to shoot accurately. The guy I bought the bodyguard from replaced it with a shield and says the shield is much easier to hit with. That's mainly due to the shield being a single action striker fired pistol vs the bodyguard being a hammer fired double action. But the recoil is still going to be snappy and may be more than your wife would want to put up with.

You can get a full size M&P9 2.0 for $400. https://gun.deals/product/smith-wes...el-black-interchangeable-grips-17rd-mag-39799 A compact would be easier to conceal but will probably cost more if you can find one.

If you are trying to keep the cost down you should be able to find a S&W SD9VE for $300 or less. They are reliable pistols but aren't as nice as a M&P, the trigger is heavier and the sights aren't adjustable. That Ruger EC9S has sights that are machined into the slide. If you can find one Ruger has a Security 9 that should be comparable to a SD9VE. There's a lot of other good pistols out there, the Stoeger PSA has for $250 is probably pretty decent. Full size pistols are concealable, you just can't fit them in a pocket like you can a single stack sub compact.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  10. JV3

JV3 Member

plinking/range time is one thing but considering something for ccw/home defense is a big responsibility (in my opinion requires at least hundreds of rounds down range to be comfortable with it enough with a specific pistol)...look at shooting your neighbor accidentally when your errant bullet goes through the wall for example (wrongful death lawsuit for one)...like backwoods runner said, stick to full size pistols for now.

one thing i've noticed is you're all over the place considering pistols, ar pistols, and ar rifles...don't discount shotguns for home defense too given your budget...i suggest once the lockdown ends to spend money and go rent several pistol makes first and narrow your search to a specific brand (narrow it down to ergos mostly) and then to a specific model/caliber within that brand (pick the one that you shoot the best righty and lefty) and proceed from there.

when i first started getting into guns i had my mind set on buying h&k, sig and high-end 1911s - basically i wanted what i thought were the best and most expensive guns at the time thinking that'll short cut all that learning curve and trial & error...but guess what? after shooting (and owning some of those brands) i found i was comfortable and consistent with plain old glocks (in my case i shoot the glock 17 the best).

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Kevin, goon, ASH and 2 others like this.
  11. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Well...the local sports store gave me a credit card and OFM went a little crazy lol.....pics soon

The Marsh Gorilla, JV3 and ASH like this.
  12. ASH

ASH Member

Y'all have a waiting period or something? We wanta see, you tease. :D

13. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

My apologies. It’s been a hectic few days...
    Sorry for the delay....Here’s what I picked up A957CE0A-D92E-42D6-A4FB-0FF5091E9041.jpeg 3AE0A96D-5EC4-400E-A2E3-1863AFA9D07F.jpeg 766A23FA-FB33-4F21-8A5E-2915DECACC6B.jpeg

Sig Sauer PM400 Tread Pistol in 5.56— 11.5” barrel...added a Vortex SPARC AR red dot, 4 mags and 100 rounds to start with (I’m gonna buy a box or two a week until I have a ton) I still need to get some flip-up iron sights as backup and a sling as soon as I can...

S&W Shield (Gen1) in 9mm...7 and 8 round mags, and a C&G OWB kydex holster to start me off with. I’m gonna pick up some extra mags and the hyve extenders when I can.

Ballenxj, Bluelew, JV3 and 5 others like this.
  14. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

Nice, that's a good set up! Let us know how they shoot!

15. IW17

IW17 Member

Very nice selection. If you're gonna go crazy, gotta do it right!

ASH and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  16. ASH

ASH Member

That's nice. Hopefully ammo supply and prices get back to pre kung flu levels by the end of the year. Then it will be time to stock up.

Frigin likes this.
  17. Frigin

Frigin Member

Nice setup. I’m jealous of the AR pistol I had to pay a stupid $200 tax and wait 11 months just to have a 11.5 barrel. And must be nice to be able to legally have standard capacity magazines that you didn’t have to pay $40 for a steel one that was made 100 years ago lol.
    Also I have the 1st gen shield and I like the hyve make it a lot more controllable. also have the spark AR and I can’t tell you how great it is. I can shoot fast and accurate with it. That’s the setup I use in classes all the time.
    great job picking out stuff.

18. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I felt somewhat confident and knowledgeable when talking to the gun guy mostly because of all of what I learned from you guys. I was gonna get the Sig Romeo Red Dot but the guy said the lifetime replacement warranty was worth the extra coin...the easy part is over...now it’s shoot,shoot,shoot...train,train,train...and get my butt in better shape