Newish To Firearms- need advice

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by OutdoorsFamilyMan, Feb 14, 2019.

1. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

I’ve looked at Armslist a lot and being in OH and a larger city there are lots of decent ARs for sale. I just Know nothing about them so I’m not sure it’s a good deal or not...or whether or not I’m even getting what they are advertising

goon likes this.
  2. Frigin

Frigin Member

Understood.
    I’d say take a look start off with a stock AR see what’s used for sale and look up how much the same thing is going for new. Can’t go wrong with a stock MP-15 or something like that. You will most likely jump sown the rabbit hole downy the road but if you had to you could sell yours for the same price you paid and build one or go some other way.
    this statement is true and not true at the same time. So take it for what it’s worth. The more you modify and really start getting into changing major components the “less reliable they might become”
    Don’t let anyone tell you the I forget now but the $400 MP-15 stock form will run just as good as any $4k AR
    This however is not true for a handgun. A$200 and $600 handgun have some major differences.
    I was reading back on the posts. What if you did get one pick up for a handgun?
    From what it looks like you are doing good getting specific gun for specific tasks.
    I can not stress enough shoot shoot shoot. Take classes if you can afford them. There are books and online training you can do. Go for a run and sprint the last few get that heart rate pumping then shoot.
    also people think an ar is a great home defense gun. Unless you have had a ton of training it’s not the best for most people. Handgun is a lot earlier to manipulate in hallways and around openings wile being concealed.
    but that’s why I said more then anything shoot shoot shoot. I do small competitions weekly I have a range at my house and I do 2-3 classes a yeah handgun carbine or long range and I still consider myself an amateur.
    sorry for the rant

3. Ranger mac

Ranger mac Member

Pics of the Glock 19 or it didn’t happen :)

The Marsh Gorilla, Zeek and Frigin like this.
  4. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

What is the least expensive AR caliber ammo to purchase? 300blk, 5.56/223 or 7.62?

5. Ranger mac

Ranger mac Member

6. JV3

JV3 Member

the cheapest still comes out to around $0.29 per round and that's really cheap ammo (only thing cheaper is a druggie needs his fix and doing a fire sale just to get another hit). i hate to say it but trying to buy a decent ar for reasonable price and ammo now is like looking for the life vest when the boat is already taking in water.

my advise is to go to the store and pickup a glock 17 or 19 and ammo...you just gotta ride it out with that unfortunately. with your budget of $1k even a handgun and ammo is pushing it. election is coming up so panic buying will only get worse from here on out.

7. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

8. C99c

C99c Member

This whole post is on the mark.

Now is the worst time to buy an AR because 1. Prices and ammo availability and 2. There's so much crap on the market unless you stick to a handful of makers and even then I'd get something not made recently. Anyone who has worked in manufacturing knows that when demand skyrockets QC starts slipping. That's at good companies. Smaller "bargain" makers or those with previous reputations for poor QC? Good luck.

A quality pistol, used or new, a few extra mags and all the ammo you can buy. That gets you in decent shape.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  9. Backwoods Runner

Backwoods Runner Member

If you are absolutely set on an AR and those three are your only options I'd only consider the Ruger (if it is in fact all still original) The other two look like junk people have put together out of their spare parts pile to make money on panic buyers... Both of my ARs I built my self, and I can tell you the one that looks practically brand new has a BCG with thousands of rounds on it and probably at least had 10 30rnd mags bumpfired through it. So while the rifle appears new the absolutely essential BCG is quite heavily used, I know that and dont care one bit since it's my rifle and it functions well, but it goes to show especially with ARs and being new to them you really have no idea on a rifle if you are buying someone else's used frankenstein rifle. I agree with the advice on getting a standard caliber and popular manufacture pistol, 4 mags and as much ammo as you can find.

goon, JV3, The Marsh Gorilla and 2 others like this.
  10. ASH

ASH Member

The first one is a .300 blk pistol not 5.56. CV I assume is cash value and tv is trade value.

IW17 likes this.
  11. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Member

I noticed the 300blk after I posted...and as for the values....duh now I feel like an idiot lol

I really appreciate all the insight guys. I do agree with the advice of not wasting money on an AR at the moment and just focusing on good pistol,accessories and ammo...BUT an AR is calling to me to own one and my wife has never before given me the go ahead lol....You gotta take those when you can lol... I’ll keep you posted.

The Marsh Gorilla and Frigin like this.
  12. Frigin

Frigin Member

yeah they can still be had for a not bad price. Just get one that is as stock as possible.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  13. evilunclegrimace

evilunclegrimace Member

OFM, if you get over here to Erie, Pa I would be more than happy to let you try out my AR's in different configurations ((rifle, carbine, pistol and those that have the same length barrel but different gas systems)

14. goon

goon Member

I agree with the post above on the Ruger... but only if it was positively the only AR available and the Huns had just come ashore from Lake Erie.

In AR’s, I’m not a brand snob but I am a quality snob. I prefer BCM for attention to detail, building in-spec rifles, and customer service in rare situations where they screw up. This is my personal experience with them. They do over-market with glossy photos trying to make buyers feel like mercenary badass prima donnas, but they also build good rifles.

In a budget AR, I’d consider a S&W M&P 15 Sport II. They have things like nitride barrels in place of chrome lining to cut costs, but the places they cut aren’t critical for a functioning rifle. They’re not bad for the $600 they should sell for. Ruger messed around and stuck some proprietary parts on their AR’s. I like Ruger, but I’d buy an actual 100% in-spec AR from someone else.

And on the purchase - if you want the AR, get the AR. If you truly can’t afford both, consider buying a complete AR lower and then adding a complete upper with BCG later.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  15. JV3

JV3 Member

this is why my go to ar is a bcm...the quality control is just above and beyond.

OutdoorsFamilyMan and goon like this.
  16. goon

goon Member

I’ve tried to explain to lots of people why all AR’s aren’t created equal. That video is a great resource. I have helped assemble a couple PSA lowers with BCM factory uppers to build more economical rifles that I think are pretty good. But it’s hard to beat a factory BCM rifle.

OutdoorsFamilyMan likes this.
  17. ASH

ASH Member

I love BCM and all the extra goodies they send. I went with BCM because I wanted something that I knew I couldn't afford the ammo it would take to wear it out. But the stripped barreled upper cost more than my PSA pistol build kit and locally purchased stripped lower combined.

I would keep an eye on RKguns, I imagine you have a Rural King near by. I wish we had one here. https://www.rkguns.com/rifles.html?caliber=9&dir=asc&order=price&p=1

Kentucky Gun Co. has the S&W MP15 Sport II right now for $589 https://www.kygunco.com/Search/Ajax...IsFirearm=&MinPrice=0&MaxPrice=0&InStock=true

OutdoorsFamilyMan likes this.
  18. ASH

ASH Member

I have never dealt with gunprime, but that Rock River Arms RRAGE looks interesting for $599. You will have to add sights though. I have never heard anything negative about Rock River that I can think of. They also have the MP15 Sport II with a Crimson Trace red dot sight instead of irons for $586. https://gunprime.com/tags/ar-15

19. goon

goon Member

One thing I’ll add is consider how the rifle might evolve.

As you progress, you might want to add optics and a light. A “government” or heavy barrel (not the same) seems fine alone, but adding a light on the forend adds a pound or so out front. A red dot like an aimpoint adds a pound or so too, and a magnified scope & mount might add two pounds. By the time you finish, a seven pound AR might weigh more than a Garand. So I’d suggest a lightweight barrel profile. You might also want to skip the fixed front sight base because it’s hard to completely clear it with many scopes / mounts. Or you might like the durability and prefer a forged steel FSB for that.

Just think on these things and on quality before you buy.

20. Kevin

Kevin Member

The West coast of Newfoundland (The best coast)
    Good advice "goon" adding stuff adds weight and thus slows things down etc. but I think you have to stop buying your one and two pound optics that must be made of lead.

IW17, Frigin and OutdoorsFamilyMan like this.