Modification question

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by Hack73, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Mark

Mark Member

"The ESEE warranty is legendary and while there are limits - handles aren't covered, rust is not covered and stainless steel blades are not covered - you can shoot it with a .50 cal and it will be covered. While most people here on the forum would be too embarrassed to ask for a warranty replacement if they broke their knives doing stupid stuff, that stupid stuff would still be covered."
    I'm sure there's some great stories about what they've warranteed!

2. Hack73

Hack73 Member

I keep stating over and over that the warranty is not an issue here. I have also stated that I would not honor a warranty if it were my choice after someone removed steel. Therefore, I would not expect anyone else to do so.

A lack of knowledge on knives would not make me a dumb ass. Making the modification without inquiring with more knowledgeable people on here to find out if it is a bad idea first would make me a dumb ass.

You have customer A who modifies the blade without inquiring and breaks it. He sends it in and you replace it.
    VS.
    Customer B who inquires here 1st and learns that it is a bad idea. He continues to buy more ESEE knives and spread the word to all his friends about how great they are.

Would you rather have customer A or B?

I'd say being disrespectful to customer B would be a dumb ass thing to do. Fortunately, I have thick skin and understand that you are probably just frustrated with people doing stupid **** and abusing the great warranty.

It's about changing the design to fit me. I'm learning here, but my understanding from what I've read and common sense is that no single knife can be right for every hand.

Creaky Bones, The Warrior and Zeek like this.
  3. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Thick skin is good around these parts. Helps with the sheep. :)

Zeek and Hack73 like this.
  4. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

Doing a mod on the LS where you remove steel is different than on some of the other ESEE knives. Many of the blades are full tang with only holes for the screws, but with the slot in the LS for the fire kit removing too much steel could weaken it. Sounds like you need an LS with a solid tang instead of the slotted one. That would probably eliminate any concerns over weakening the blade to the point of failure.

Mike knows of what he speaks and I would never underestimate him, but he can be a bit curmudgeonly. I wouldn't take it personal. lol He has good information and great skills, but his style of customer service is legendary. And entertaining. :D

Hack73 likes this.
  5. JD Miller

JD Miller Member

Creaky Bones ... You da Man !

[​IMG]

6. Mountainmistwanderer

Mountainmistwanderer Member

I would love to have a 6 hollowed out like the LS. Maybe I'll see how the space is on the 6hm. But if it broke I would never except anything in return. I would send them the knife to look at but refuse a replacement. Once I start to remove stock I wouldn't hold them liable for anything.

Creaky Bones and Hack73 like this.
  7. Mike Perrin

Mike Perrin Administrator Staff Member

Oh, I'm sorry. Did I hurt your feelings?)). Oh well.))
    Mike

AddictedToSteel and Delkancott like this.
  8. Hack73

Hack73 Member

Not at all. If you read the reply, you would see that I said I had thick skin. Thanks for your well thought out reply though.

9. Stone

Stone Member

We have challenging entrance exams,
    to test skin depth and ability to respect.

When I joined, I was chided by a prominent member
    (whom you may meet) for asking about plastic blades for combat training.

His response was, "Pfffttt. We use live blades."

If you make it to 100 posts, and provide images of your mod,
    then maybe you will find a home here.

Oh, my name is Stephen, and Ireland is my island. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  10. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

You are a good man but I expect a company to replace stuff if I mess it up. I am still in an internet war with Charmin due to multiple failures and no replacement.

ManOfSteel likes this.
  11. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Member

When I did it, I took my time and had a big tub of ice water there to keep it cold. If you remove the finger guard pointy part there's just as much meat left below the front screw hole as there is above it. If I somehow in the future manage to break it at that point, which I highly doubt I could, I certainly would not try to get a warranty replacement even though Mike said in this thread that it would be covered. I understand that you already said it's not about the warranty, so my comment isn't aimed your way. I enjoy modifying knives. I always figured that once I bought it I could do whatever the hell I wanted to with it, but if it goes south it's on me, not the manufacturer.

12. JAD

JAD Member

Been there done that. It is a sh!tty problem no matter how it all comes out. Good luck.

DYSPHORIC JOY likes this.
  13. Stone

Stone Member

I think that gets to the bones of the matter, right there. I feel the same way.

I don't necessarily get to a point after acquisition of a new ... tool (knife, axe, bicycle...) where I'm definitely going to modify it. I don't modify for the sake of modifying. Sometimes, I'd rather not take the time. But if it needs changing for my needs, recognized time and again over a substantive period, then I figure it's mine and I can do what I want with it, recognizing that: 1) if it breaks, it's mine, not the maker's, and 2) if I ever want to pass it on, maybe nobody will want it.

But in decades of modifying selected tools to work better for me and my needs, and have few regrets, all minor.

Creaky Bones likes this.
  14. Hack73

Hack73 Member

I got the skin and no problem showing respect to people as long as they are not disrespectful towards me.

White t-shirts and red magic markers are a good eye opener.

Video or it didn't happen.:cool:

I've accomplished enough in life that I don't need to be accepted online. I appreciate the tip but, I'm just here to piss Mike off. I was actually leaning against doing the mod until he chimed in. I think I'm going to do it now. Thinking a high speed bench grinder should do the trick.

Good to meet you Stephen. They call me Hack. :)

Stone likes this.
  15. Mountainmistwanderer

16. Hack73

Hack73 Member

Yes.

17. Mountainmistwanderer

No.

18. Hack73

Hack73 Member

Maybe this will help.

Stephen.jpg

Attached Files:

19. Stone

Stone Member

Just to clear up the confusion, my real name is not Stephen. I lied in the interest of weaving in that segment of the mad Irishman (which I am) named Stephen in the Braveheart film.

Big Scot guy: "You're a madman."

Stephen, laughing: "I've come to the right place then."

Ok, never mind. Humor is never funny if you have to explain it. :confused:

So, Hack, my name is Stone. Nice to meet you. Good luck with the mod. Pics required, of course. :)

Hack73 likes this.
  20. Mountainmistwanderer

Never seen Braveheart