May's hunting trip completed...

Discussion in 'Hunting and Fishing' started by Andy the Aussie, May 19, 2017.

1. Expat

Expat Expat™ Knives Staff Member

I'm not sure how the hunting works in Austria. Is this public land or private? Seems like it is full of game. Is there a lot of public land there?

One of the biggest problems here in the US (depending on the state of course) is simply finding a place that you can go hunt that isn't covered up with a whole bunch of other people. Or isn't someone's private land that you're not allowed to hunt on. When I was a kid, you could go knock on a farmer's door and ask permission and he'd give it to you to hunt. Almost unheard of these days since no one wants the liability if someone hurts themselves.

I have never leased land to hunt but I'm about there since it's the best way to guarantee you won't have someone else hunting your same small area.

Maybe I'll come over there one day and check your country out. My wife might be in too. She liked the Sound of Music.

2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

This area is all private land, been hunting on the place (about 30,000 acres) since I was a teenager (1985 to be exact). There is not much public land hunting here though some, and it is done on a booking system so you don't end up with a bunch of people all piled up on top of one another. I mostly hunt private land however. I grew up in the bush and my family had property that I hunted as well (that was 180,000 acres - a small/medium holding out in the area it was located. Sadly they sold up some years ago. Places to hunt here are getting harder and harder to come by.

Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  3. Willow

Willow Member

Nice trip report Andy!

As an herbalist and someone who has suffered for 10 years with bad migraine headaches, I can sympathize with your pain. I have a great management system of natural herbal products that I've developed over the years. I have a topical rub and a headache tincture that I take by the teaspoon in my coffee 5 times a day. It works much better then all the Rx meds they had me on trying to manage the pain.

I know how debilitating these headaches can be. So if anyone wants to try my setup let me know.

4. Lockster

Lockster Member

I've recently started hunting public land over here, as Andy said it is booked via an online portal which allows up to a certain number of hunters in a certain forest based on the size of the forest, it doesn't guarantee you a specific area of your own but it is what it is. There are some forests which are designated as Bowhunting only forests (I hunt both rifle and bow so I can hunt either), the state forests are a lot leaner than most private land but I have worked out that patrolling the forest areas that border private land sometimes helps, I saw an enormous Red deer a few weeks ago in a bowhunting forest but didn't get a shot at it. It is my aim for this year to take a deer as I have never harvested a deer before, if I cover enough miles I will get one ;)