Machetes, Kukris & Hybrids

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Stone, Sep 20, 2018.

1. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

This is one of those backwards postings. Pic 1- the now de horned handle. Pic 2 is the work in progress. Pic 3- the tools used. I also went all over with the flap wheel just giving it a nice smooth feel, the several coats of stain that I had in the shop. It's taking a while to dry due to cool 70's f temps and rather high humidity levels. ;)

JV3, Stone and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  2. Stone

Stone Member

Hahahaha ... 70's F would be a welcome heat wave up here right now. :D

Nice project. Thanks for sharing that. Looking forward to the finished product.

I did no chopping today. By the time I got out of the studio (about 1620), a steady light rain had begun. So I just walked today on my loop trail (carried Bolo 1 in my shoulder sheath, but did no cutting), listened to the sound of rain on a mid-40's F afternoon with waning light. The colors are muted here now, but still beautiful in a dull orange kind of way ...

anrkst6973 and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  3. Stone

Stone Member

well, my posts will be short for a few days. was cutting potatoes for a snack late last night when a loud noise in the hall outside startled me. i flinched and the blade got my left index finger tip. bled like a fawcet. gonna be hunt and peck for a few days. :rolleyes: still don't know what the noise was. too busy stopping the blood.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  4. DiscoveryLover

DiscoveryLover Member

Heal up quick!

Stone likes this.
  5. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

( Points at you). HA HA! :D!! ;). Seriously dude? Didn't we discuss kitchen protocol earlier in this thread? You're cracking me up man! Keep it clean and wrapped...a day or two and you'll be huntin n peckin like a champ. I garunteee it. :)

Stone likes this.
  6. Stone

Stone Member

<w\ right index finger> i'll get back to u re kitchen protocol. for now, time for a fresh banbaid. :cool:

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  7. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Please refer to post #175, pg 9 for a refresher on how NOT to add your fingertips to your latest culinary creation. :D

Stone likes this.
  8. Stone

Stone Member

<typing w/ 2,
    but left is middle>

will do!

right now, that left index f'tip is re-inforced by bandaid and blue tape
    (which was helpful keeping it dry in lined leather (Carhartt) gloves
    during my 3 hr WALK downtown today,
    down into the Pisacataquis River Valley
    in the deepest ravine amongst glacial eskers for miles).

and bolo 1 w/ a 3.5" scandi near th' handle is just inches away .. .

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    anrkst6973 likes this.
  9. Stone

Stone Member

illustration

across ravine snowshoe.JPG

anrkst6973 likes this.
  10. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Such a pretty photo. I always like when the world goes monochromatic, however rare that event might be down here.

Stone likes this.
  11. Stone

Stone Member

Sunday update, post "fall back" (early dark retuns from the north). Bandaids are off; healing progressing well. I'm typing with 9 fingers -- still slow, but faster than hunt/peck. We had an all night wind storm with flickering lights that began here last evening at 1800, so I booted down early for extra sleep.

Soon, back to machetes. I have some questions for the experienced about different types of machetes: latin vs bolo vs parang vs ....

12. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

And those questions are...? :)

13. Stone

Stone Member

I'll post them once I can use 10 fingers. Just too slow (and frustrating) now, and I'm too busy w/ a professional project. ;)

14. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

It would appear as there are some die hard..like Bruce Willis diehard, machete fanatics hanging around in here. ;). And where is Bear dang it?!!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Stone, STPNWLF and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  15. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I mounted the 18" Tram I got from 42 on my hunting pack, in place of my Comdor. It's lighter is most of the reason, the deeper explanation is it's more precise. It goes, and more importantly stops, where and when I need it to. This puppy is so scary sharp, 42 did a superb job on it, and I'm not above listening and learning something.
    This led me to "hear" 42 who said I need a file in my kit. He might be right, I've used a small round or chainsaw file on some of my other tools for years, and it is after all, a machete.
    So I put in an order for a couple of the F. Dicks mini double sided files. ( Because 1 is none. Right? :) ). I'm once again excited about trying something new, putting it to the test, and sharing what I find with you guys. It's the best part of being a member of this diverse group of head cases. :D Pics soon.

Stone, Bushman5 and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  16. FortyTwoBlades

Files are indispensable tools for rapid manual shaping of all manner of outdoor tools, and those F. Dick mini files are awesome. Like a jumbo-sized needle file, but with the aggressive cut of a full-size file. Just the thing for the pack.

Stone likes this.
  17. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

yep, and files don't gunk up with metal filings , bits of sharpening stone, or absorb water or oil and freeze up and crack in the dead of winter, like grit stones do. Plus the file can be fire forged into a knife if need be.....

18. FortyTwoBlades

Never once had a vitrified stone crack from freezing, and that's despite leaving a puck that had a firing crack at the line between the grits outside all winter--it didn't get a bit worse. Also, stones don't blunt like files do, and files will rust if they get wet. Oil will often cause them to clog with fines. Files are awesome, but having a stone or two really rounds out your options a lot. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, and their own unique roles in a total sharpening system. :)

JV3 and Stone like this.
  19. Stone

Stone Member

As a new, recent owner of that FD mini-file (still w/ 9 fingers), I 2nd this (e)motion.

20. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

image.jpeg

A few days ago I cut a 3 yard wide, 75 yard long lane thru some nasty Tx brush. No real damage to my Tram, just a bit dullish after. This is my touch up tool. It puts a decent edge on a working chete, nothing super mirror polish nice but good enough to cut or whittle...or turn something into edible portions. ;)