Machetes, Kukris & Hybrids

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Stone, Sep 20, 2018.

1. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

You must have MUCH larger hands than I if the bottom corner digs at your hand in use! Granted, I do have small hands, but the corner stays well away from my palm during any cuts I make.

2. JV3

JV3 Member

it's a night and day difference for me...my middle finger is on the middle rivet usually.

[​IMG]

this pic clearly shows where it used to dig into my hand before i rounded the corner.

[​IMG]

it didn't bother me too much until i was using these two one day...then i looked closer...the bottom machete already had a rounded corner straight from the factory.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    Stone and Strigidae like this.
  3. Stone

Stone Member

@JV3 , I'm delighted that you've joined our conversation. I can imagine you've got lots of experience with these blades.

And thanks for your welcome to the Tram Bolo Club. I'm feeling better about my choice with each passing day. :)

Nice pipe, too!

I have four questions for you for now.

One, what kind of edge do you keep on it? Complex, or otherwise?

Two, how do you find that it batons? That was my one of biggest concerns given how thin the blade is. I haven't done much of it yet, but preliminary results suggest it's no problem. Not as quick as a wedgy axe, but still quite capable.

Three, as a machete novice I have to ask, what's a "snap cut"? I'm becoming more familiar and comfortable (though not yet proficient) with the whip/flick using a pinch grip. But I'm assuming snap cut is something different. Please edumacate me.

Four, is the Tram Bolo your main (only) machete? Regardless, why do you like it? What about it gets it used? Just curious.

4. JV3

JV3 Member

1. i try to keep the same edge as original.

2. i haven't done much batoning either because i almost always have my h&b forge shawnee tomahawk with me for splitting tasks. that pic above is probably the few times i did and that's as thick as i've split with it...i did it more to see if it'll snap right away.

3. we might be referring to the same thing...joe flowers has a youtube video where he's holding the machete with his thumb and index finger and the rest of the fingers are barely touching the handle so the machete basically just rotates around those two fingers.

4. i have a lot of machetes - the most of any blade style probably except for the mora 510 which i probably have over a dozen. this bolo is what i would pick if i wanted to chop a lot and don't want to use an axe...but my most used machete is the tramontina 18" - the typical latin style machete...in the woods i usually clear out overgrown thorn bushes that the trail maintenance crew haven't gotten around to it yet.

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  5. JV3

JV3 Member

i don't have a group pic of them all but here's a few...18" orange handled condor and 18" tramontina are missing.

[​IMG]

svord kiwi machete.

[​IMG]

fiddleback forge 12".

[​IMG]

6. Stone

Stone Member

Zoom zoom!

7. OfficerLucky

OfficerLucky Member

112246CC-3186-4D8E-81C1-2C5B37B6C9C4.jpeg My chopper for now. I have a tops machete but I can’t seem to locate it:(

Strigidae, JV3, anrkst6973 and 2 others like this.
  8. Stone

Stone Member

Just finished a long day, #2, of redesigning my hammock frame for my studio. (It's my backpacking hammock, but I built a frame in my studio so I can sleep in it here. Thread with video to come.) Dinner is next.

I'm just checking into this thread for the first time since @JV3 and @OfficerLucky posted pics. Well, ok, the third time, but I was on the way to the sack last night, then in a hurry this morning, so didn't get to really look closely.

Man 'o man, there are some class blades in there. I have questions. But maybe not tonight. Hammock is calling me to an early chill out time after dinner and some apertif ...

9. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Just finished my machete mod (middle one). It was a long time coming but it's done now. (Still making a sheath though) Moves well when using it, and definitely bites in deeper than the modified imacasa on top. Will probably get a lot more use than the other two pictured from here on out. The imacasa was great though (the Condor....not so much) IMG_5751.JPG

HelRaiser, JV3, Stone and 1 other person like this.
  10. FortyTwoBlades

The Condor Golok always needs the base of the blade thinned out a lot. Thing's like a cold chisel as supplied by the factory.

JV3, Stone and Caleb O like this.
  11. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

No joke. The rear half of the edge is horrible. I was pretty taken aback upon receiving it. Will have to work on it next (though I haven't done anything even close to the drastic to a bevel before....fingers crossed) but as the Condor sits now, I don't even like using it. So something's gonna have to change.

Stone and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  12. FortyTwoBlades

Not sure how they do it, but it almost seems like they have some sort of jig that allows to grind a visually consistent bevel width despite the way the edge angle changes along the length due to the strong distal taper. I just about triple the bevel width at the base of the blade when I regrind the whole thing to a consistent angle.

Caleb O and Stone like this.
  13. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

I was wondering. Was curious as to how high I was going to have to take the bevel. Do you got a pic of one you've done? But yeah, have no idea what Condor is doing in their factory to get it as bad as it is. Looks nice in pics, not so good in person.

14. FortyTwoBlades

I mean, the grinding itself is good. Consistent from piece to piece, and clean looking. Just wayyyyyy too thick at the base. Like I said, I think they have a weird jig that somehow keeps bevel width fixed and because of the extreme distal taper on the Golok, the cold-chisel geometry at the base is the unfortunate effect. :p

Factory:

[​IMG]

Fixed:

[​IMG]

Stone likes this.
  15. JV3

JV3 Member

a must have accessory for a machete owner :)

[​IMG]

Stone, HelRaiser, Bushman5 and 2 others like this.
  16. STPNWLF

STPNWLF Member

Finally got around to the restoration of the "Made in Sheffield England" machete,
    Still have a lot of shaping to do on the handle.
    Before
    IMG_20181026_223711.jpg
    Current status
    IMG_20181026_223833.jpg

17. Stone

Stone Member

On the way to me from Studio Forty Two.

Custom built to my specifications (with his input).

That's my "special grade" Tram bolo (B2) in the top sheath, the OTT (out the top).
    It'll meet up with my first bolo (B1) that I've been working with for a week or so.

After a lot of testing and study (so I know how to properly sharpen a bolo with the tools I have, which will then include an FD mini-file, also in the box), I'll keep one bolo and one sheath, and sell the others to ... someone else who needs a bolo and sheath. And of course, file a report.

After they arrive, I'll split that bolo project out into its own thread so as to keep this one more general.

Working title: A Tale of Two Bolos.

Bolo sheaths.jpg

18. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

@FortyTwoBlades I have been visiting your site fairly often, Is there a super secret squirrel section for the new Tram sheaths? If you would be so kind to direct us on how to to add them to an order.... :)

FortyTwoBlades and Stone like this.
  19. Stone

Stone Member

Just do a digital recode of this image in C++, multiply by 42, then divide by i {sq rt [-1]}, and you're in.

[​IMG]

Hammer, anrkst6973 and FortyTwoBlades like this.
  20. FortyTwoBlades

They're just not up yet. It's gonna' take me a liiiiiittle bit to get them up on account of swimming in an ocean of Kingfisher Machetes at the moment. Currently 244 outstanding orders to fill, which is something like 16 higher than it was this morning despite getting a bunch of them out the door today. :p

anrkst6973 and Stone like this.