Looking for a new work pack

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mtngoat, Feb 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mtngoat

mtngoat Member

ok so im looking for a new pack for the office, I don't care if it's tacticool or not but it need organization and the ability to fit a 15" laptop and iPad (both for work)

I have tried the 5.11 covrt 18, it was a nice pack the lack of a decent admin pocket killed it for me.

I have a falcon II and it has all the organization but my laptop and iPad won't both fit.

Currently I am using a cheap ass pack that the office provided and need to upgrade as it is falling apart.

Thanks for any input.

Zeek likes this.
  2. Delkancott

Delkancott Member

Love my GR1. I literally have stopped looking for EDC packs since I bought this. Probably 2 years ago. And I bought a lot of packs.

C99c, Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  3. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

I second the gr series.

C99c and Zeek like this.
  4. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

My TT Urban Operator has served me extremely well.

C99c likes this.
  5. Zeek

Zeek Member

Thanks @mtngoat , I've been thinking about posting a similar thread. I haven't traveled for work in a while but have a trip planned for April. All the zippers have failed on my crappy Case Logic case. My boy has the GR1 so maybe I can borrow it for a few days... I'll be following this thread closely?:)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    C99c likes this.
  6. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

I use a Kifaru E&E with one TT utility pouch and a SOE camelbak bottle pouch. I bought a mess lock and load and extra chamber pocket for the inside organization.

This is probably too small for your laptop though.

7. BigJake

BigJake Member

Take a look at the Vertx EDC Gamut.
    I've got one up for sale in the for sale section I'd sell you if you like it. :D

Strigidae likes this.
  8. IW17

IW17 Member

I use both a 5.11 rush 12 and 24. I love them. Both have a zippered pouch between the main compartment and the back pad, designed for a hydration bladder, but it works great for a laptop. It's even padded so it's not uncomfortable.

9. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

I use The North Face Borealis. Mine is a couple of years old but has served me very well. It carries very nicely. I generally carry a laptop with power cord, a couple of legal pads, half dozen thin manila folders with papers, half dozen pens/pencils/Sharpies, a few random office supplies, small umbrella, and a pair of readers in a hard case. I carry it back and forth to the office and on work trips. I have lugged it many miles across DC on several trips and almost forgot it was there.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/borealis?variationId=LMN

10. chorpie

chorpie Member

Camelbak Urban Assault. Thing is bombproof, with organizational features out the ass

11. Zeek

Zeek Member

I've been looking at the Kelty Tactical Peregrine 1800. Anyone have any experience with it?

12. BigJake

BigJake Member

I have this pack too. It's also a good choice.

chorpie likes this.
  13. chorpie

chorpie Member

Oh dang, I should have plugged the Tom Bihn Brain Bag I have for sale... I guess I just did. But yeah, the Urban Assault...

[​IMG]

Zeek likes this.
  14. Bcamos

Bcamos Member

As if you needed more options, I've been using a Camelbak Linchpin since 2012 or so. Fantastic pack. Not a lot of admin compartment stuff, but I've never felt like I needed to add anything to it.

15. Medicth

Medicth Member

Look at grey ghost gear, they are very good, and have several different options. I have owned several, still have a lightweight assault pack. Very well made.

Also the best pack i have ever owned, and I will never sell is the TAD Litespeed. It is the ****. If you can afford it, buy it.

16. inconel710

inconel710 Member

Another vote for the GR1. I've been carrying mine everyday since December and it just works. Big enough to carry what I need and small enough to keep me from carrying stuff I don't need. It'll fit your laptop and has some organization. Not a bunch of pencil loops and such that I don't use, just a few pockets in the main compartment and front zippered pocket for external access.

Delkancott and Zeek like this.
  17. chorpie

chorpie Member

Something i've been looking into trying is the Condor Pack Insert, since I change bags quite frequently. Might help with the organization bit.

18. Zeek

Zeek Member

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    C99c likes this.
  19. Nordac

Nordac Member

I highly recommend Osprey. They have a bomb warranty. I sent mine in to get the mesh on the sides fixed and they told me it wasn't possible to fix. They were going to send me a new one but they didn't make it anymore so they said choose any pack within 5L of the original size and they would send it to me for free.
    Side not the mesh ripped cuz I ran through HEAVY brush doing stupid **** when I was young....er. no fault of the pack

indulf, Zeek and Allen Morrison like this.
  20. Zeek

Zeek Member

Hmmm... flapjack maybe