Liquor (whisky, gin, tequila, rum) with a focus on better ones

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stone, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Stone

Stone Member

Edited May 11, 2017: our discussion has meandered onto some other good liquors, so I changed the title of the thread from "Whisky with a focus on scotch" to what it is now.
    ______

I'm creating this thread for several reasons. In no particular order:
    • I'm on a scotch kick, and seeking advice for affordable malts (mixes to begin, then singles).
    • I'm going to Scotland in the next couple of years and want to know what I'm talking about.
    • I want to learn how to drink scotch like a scotch snob, even if I have no intention of becoming one.
    • I like the thread "what are you guys drinking tonight", but there are a lot of beer drinkers there, and some soda drinkers, and right now, I'm drinking neither because I'm on a low carb diet.
    • I'm interested in how other whiskies -- bourbon, Kentucky, Canadian, Irish -- compare and contrast to Scotch in terms of nose, palette, finish, process, history, etc.
    I'll plan to copy/paste some great scotch links here from the other thread.

Currently, I'm drinking lower shelf scotch, but in eight days, I'll have a little extra cash, and plan to invest in a bottle of Monkey Shoulder. More about that scotch later.

Oh, just one more thing: there will occasionally be music videos posted in this thread. :cool:

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the distillery. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  2. Stone

Stone Member

vBlake, nathan shepherd and Zeek like this.
  3. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

Skip the blended go right to singles the Macallen 12 yr double cask is a good start ;)

Dennis Adams, Scrap, vBlake and 2 others like this.
  4. Stone

Stone Member

If I could, I would!

But alas, I'm self-employed in a new business endeavor,
    thus still (compared to most, dirt) poor at the moment
    (cash flow expected this year), so restricted to blends <$35.

But at least I'm going for malts. :cool:

Zeek likes this.
  5. IW17

IW17 Member

The only scotch I've grown to enjoy is Jameson Caskmates. Decent stuff.

Oh and just because, technically all bourbon is from Kentucky. Everything else is a lie.

Zeek and Stone like this.
  6. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

Well in that case...I'm no pro but I would probably say the most decent I've had is johnny walker double black

Zeek, dhunley1 and Stone like this.
  7. Stone

Stone Member

Umm, I suspect you're going to need to speak with Mr. Daniel's boys from mid-TN about that assertion.

I'll just leave you guys alone while you work that out. ;)

Zeek likes this.
  8. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

Went through a Scotch kick many years ago but it was a bit too much work trying to really like it. I have a bottle of Macallen in the bar right now because it was a gift. I can drink it but much much much prefer a bourbon or even Irish whiskey.

To me Scotch has a very distinct flavor I can't articulate and don't really care for. Bourbons to me taste much more full bodied and have more intense and full flavor profiles.

9. Stone

Stone Member

I've always enjoyed bourbons -- since I was in my 20's (40 years ago) -- and enjoyed Canadian whisky a bit less (sweeter and less flavorful for me). I still haven't tried Irish, but will.

But since I'm going to Scotland, and my genes (on mom's side) are from there, and since they seem to like their whisky so much, with such attention to detail (nose, palette, finish, single malt, distilleries in all four corners, special glasses (tumblers), etc -- I just have to try to acquire the taste.

I tried it years ago -- in the 90's and again around early 2003 or so, but it just didn't grab me.

Like so many other acquired tastes -- including green chili and IPA -- it takes time.

Already, even with cheap stuff, I'm getting it. Taste is developing.

But I'm eating hamburger, yet hungry for prime rib.

Zeek likes this.
  10. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

11. The Warrior

The Warrior Member

12. dhunley1

dhunley1 Member

Scotch is all I really drink these days. I'm a big fan of The Glenlivet 12 year, Johnnie Walker Black, Double Black and Dewars 12 year.

Zeek, Dagwood and Stone like this.
  13. Stone

Stone Member

^ Most eXcellent.

Zeek likes this.
  14. erik

erik Member

McClelland single malts can be found under $25 -- they have an islay, speyside, and highland. they are 3-7 years old, so some bottles are better than others.
    all 3 are a bit sharp up front, and "blander" than their more expensive and older bretheren, but not a bad way to start.
    speyside are sweet, highlands are boring (IMHO), and Islay's are the most smoky of the lot.

since you're on a budget, you should look for the seasonal sampler packs or get on one of the mail order booze sites that send out a pocketful of 50mL bottles a month for a set fee -- this will let you try a wide range of regions & distilleries without a heavy outlay of $.

Stone, Zeek and Dagwood like this.
  15. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

Stone likes this.
  16. Mbshooter

Mbshooter Member

I drink my fair share of bourbon, scotch, and Irish whisky. Scotch has 4 main different regions with each having their own distinct flavor. Personally I'm a big fan of speyside and then highland. Highland just because of glenmorainge. Speysides I'm a big fan of balviene, and glenfiddich.

If your new into this area I would suggest trying to find a local group. I'm part of a local group I'm fb and we trade samples, do bottles shares, have reps come in and give tastings. It a been a great way to expand my pallet, make new friends, and try new things.

17. nathan shepherd

nathan shepherd Member

What I do find very funny is how much you Americans like Johnnie Walker's whisky. That stuff is junk, we hardly ever drink it over here in Scotland. I think it must be blended to appeal to the American whisky drinker.

Here are a list of some whiskys that should be on hit list. Some are not that well known but are great nonetheless. I will start with my local. I live 5 minutes drive from the distillery.

https://www.dewars.com/gl/en/aberfeldydistillery/

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiski...491-cask-strength-gordon-and-macphail-whisky/

http://www.glenfarclas.co.uk/

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/b/40/caol-ila-single-malt-scotch-whisky

http://www.edradour.com/

18. Stone

Stone Member

This is interesting, useful and fun advice, all. Thanks. I'm reading all and researching. Great ideas here.

For completeness, here are a couple of links from Dennis Adam's in the other drinking thread that I found very useful, especially the first.

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/scotch-whisky101-a-beginners/

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/dewars-blended-scotch-whisky/

Last evening, last activity of my day before bed, I watched the entire (long) video that @The Warrior posted above in post #10. Excellent vid. Some of the musical interludes were a bit long, but it held my attention all the way through. His history lesson at the beginning to set the context for the stories about the various distilleries was interesting and brilliant.

This evening after work, I'll watch the one in post #11.

Zeek likes this.
  19. Dagwood

Dagwood Member

The budget he has to spend leaves him with few choices as far as "good stuff " if he aquires the taste using less than desirable brands when he has the good stuff he'll appreciate it that much more.

If it comes in a fancy bottle or box people tend to think it's good.

Scotch is the only alcohol I drink. Try going to bar around here and asking for edradour or the Macallan you'll get funny looks they mostly stock Johnny walker or dewars and Chivas. personally I think the only thing Chivas is good for is waterboarding.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Stone and Zeek like this.
  20. VolGrad

VolGrad Member

I have grown to know anything you have to acquire a taste for is probably not worth the trouble (and money). Life is too short to learn to love something. I have never felt that way about good beer or good bourbon so I'm sticking with them.

I do wish you luck in finding what you seek. Enjoy the journey my friend.