Let's see your saws

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by KnOeFz, May 11, 2022.

1. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Jtallen83 likes this.
  2. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I sharpen my Silky 2000 - lay the blade on a perfectly flat surface, spray with penetrating oil and take a 6000 grit oil stone or a ceramic stone and lay it FLAT on top of the blade. Move it back and forth along the length of the blade , with very light pressure. Makes it sharper than factory, and extends the blade life many many years.

I also carry a bottle of silicone lubricant spray , I spray the blade often during use, keeps the stiction / binding way down as well as prevents pitch/sap from gumming the blade up
    I'll make a video soon

3. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Thanks for sharing those tips!

Zeek, T.A., TerryD and 1 other person like this.
  4. KnOeFz

KnOeFz Member

5. T.A.

T.A. Member

Ordered me a silky 240 medium today. Hopefully it cuts as good as it looks in the photo.

KnOeFz, Bozho, Bushman5 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bozho

Bozho Member

You will love it. It is just the right size for pretty much everything. Falls perfectly between my Pocket Boy and Big Boy.

KnOeFz and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  7. Bozho

Bozho Member

Speaking of Silkys, I had to replace the blade of the Pocket Boy in December (had a spare one waiting for the moment), because I hit some nasty hidden nails in a wooden pallet, while making a dog house. When the wood is hard, the saw can be pretty noisy, that's why I continued to cut, not even thinking of hitting something metal.... Anyway I messed up the blade pretty badly, bent a lot of teeth, however none of them broke. The blade itself had some bending from when I first started learning using pull saws, but it also never broke - they're pretty tough, no matter what some "you tube experts" say in many videos. Anyway I put the new blade and was shocked how sharp it was, man what a difference!!! Keep in mind that I thought the original blade was pretty sharp and wouldn't changed it yet if I hadn't damaged it, it was still cutting great after a lot of use. Really a lot, mostly in the yard where I was trimming many branches with it for 2 or 3 years. But the brand new one blew my mind, I had forgotten how sharp they come and how amazingly good a new one cuts. Definitely worth the price.
    Still haven't got the 130 mm but I feel the time is near :D

IMG_20221024_151019.jpg IMG-27b61509f9568b145fe0bb4430cfff19-V (1).jpg

KnOeFz, Strigidae, Kryptonian and 2 others like this.
  8. T.A.

T.A. Member

Came in today. Pretty impressive to say the least. Can’t wait to use it this weekend
    [​IMG]

9. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Good stuff!

lube that blade with silicone lubricant frequently. It will prevent binding and sap buildup. Also slow down your sawing speed and apply pressure ONLY on the pull stroke with these saws. You won't break blades that way.

looking forward to your trip report soon ! Enjoy it!

The Marsh Gorilla and T.A. like this.
  10. T.A.

T.A. Member

This would’ve been the perfect weekend. Weather is amazing but as usual I am on call this weekend. Plus side is my wife and kid has been gone all day. I just played around by my wood pile ALL DAY LONG lol
    [​IMG]