Leather working thread

Discussion in 'DIY (Do It Yourself)' started by Grog, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Bustedaw11

Bustedaw11 Member

This is only sorta related but I have a question maybe someone can help me with. I've got this kabar that was givin to me and the leather was pretty roughed up. I used some 600 paper and sanded it all smooth and then some 1500 and it got a shine. My question is, what now? I'm not huge on leather so I don't know anything reasonable available i can use on the cheap to hydrate this old stuff. If it were boots I'd just hit it with a little saddle soap and oil. Same thing?

2. ASH

ASH Member

Yes, that's probably as good as anything.

Bustedaw11 likes this.
  3. erik

erik Member

I would use sno-seal or obenaufs heavy lp
    Treat it like a pair of boots: heavy coating melted in with a hair dryer.

Maurice DeLaune and Bustedaw11 like this.
  4. Maurice DeLaune

Maurice DeLaune Member

Obenaufs is the business.

ASH and erik like this.
  5. TerryD

TerryD Member

Looking to make a sheath for my Trail Boxx axe. Nothing fancy, just a mask to protect the edge and protect ME from the edge around camp and in the truck.

I know near enough to zero about leather work to round down to zero easily.

I think I want it welted (strip inserted for edge to rest against?) and probably stitched.

What weight leather should I look for?

Where should I look for leather?

Should I just pay $25 for one off ETSY and move on with my lift? LOL

6. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

IMO.. if you don’t know a whole lot about making a sheath.. Figuring in materials and tools you might be better off with Etsy..

IF you do decide to make one thou. I would check a thrift type store or a used sporting goods type store for old leather weight belts. They are my go to source for decent thick leather at a insane price. I can normally find them for 3-5$.

If you go with a old weight belt I would recommend roughing out the shape cutting a piece for your welt and then clamping the pieces together. Due to the thickness of the leather I recommend using a drill press or carefully a hand held drill to pre drill your stiching.

Once you have the leather stitched together any excess can then be trimmed off or sand the remaining pieces to make it look pretty.

All that said, it is a great skill to learn but you are very likely going to spend ALOT more then that $25 if you don’t have the tools and leather already..

Bushman5, ASH, erik and 2 others like this.
  7. erik

erik Member

cereal boxes are great for making a pattern.
    you want a minimum of 7 oz leather (7-9 or 9-10 would work fine)
    if you want to use new leather, you can find pieces of leather at Hobby Lobby or Michael's if you don't have a Tandy or other leather store nearby to grad something out of their scrap bin.
    otherwise vegetable tanned weight belts work fine. (one thick piece of leather, no padding or suede on the inside)

good luck!

TerryD likes this.
  8. TerryD

TerryD Member

Is the handy stitch a good way to do the sewing?

9. ASH

ASH Member

You will want to saddle stitch something that heavy duty. Heck a stitching pony just to hold the piece while you sew is $25 unless you diy. You don't have to have one. I don't, but I try not to hand sew if I don't have to. You can get by with clamps or a vise, even nothing at all.

10. Maurice DeLaune

Maurice DeLaune Member

When I first started leather working, I used 2 scraps of 2x4 and a clamp to sandwich my project in lieu of a proper stitching pony.

TerryD and ASH like this.
  11. ASH

ASH Member

I haven't made any axe masks yet, but when I do I will probably sew them with my Chinese shoe patcher. It's not as strong as a saddle stitch, but it is more enjoyable than hand sewing to me. I'm a mechanic used to working with my hands, but gripping those little needles tend to wear my fingers out.

It's a good project to justify buying some equipment like a shoe patcher, if you need an excuse. But if you don't think you would ever use it again you might as well just saddle stitch it.

You can use a fork to mark your holes to keep your stitches even. You can drill your holes or use an awl or a hammer and nail. Then all you have to have is a pair of needles and some thread.

It would be good to reinforce some of the stress points with rivets.

TerryD likes this.
  12. TerryD

TerryD Member

I have a bench vice with soft jaws. That should do good enough?

13. ASH

ASH Member

I would cement the pieces together as well. If you cement and hammer the pieces together, it will be stronger and easier to work with.

Maurice DeLaune likes this.
  14. ASH

ASH Member

You want some thin wood jaw extensions to hold the work up off the vise.

Basically sandwich the work between the two pieces of wood and put the whole thing in the vise. Look at a picture of a stitching pony. You will see what I mean.

TerryD likes this.
  15. ASH

ASH Member

Most stitching ponys are shaped like tweezers to clamp the work right by the seam. You can double up the wood at the working end to achieve the same result.

TerryD likes this.
  16. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

I think I am about ready to take the plunge into the exciting world of leather working.

I recently picked up a Cold Steel Trench Shovel, the bigger brother to the Spetsnaz Shovel.

But it comes with out a sheath and there isn't one available.
    Seems like a good place to start.
    Doesn't have to be pretty, just has to protect things from the sharp edges and the edges from things.

I have been trying to order a Speedy Stitcher all week, things just keep getting in the way.
    I'm off to get that done now.

LV,

Maurice DeLaune likes this.
  17. Maurice DeLaune

Maurice DeLaune Member

Do it! It's fun, and you'll be able to make a lot of stuff instead of buying. :)

ASH likes this.
  18. ASH

ASH Member

You would probably be better starting off with needles and thread. You can use a fork to make your holes or order a lacing/stitching chisel, sometimes called a pricking iron.

You will need to prepunch the holes even with a speedy stitcher, and a saddle stitch is stronger.

Bushman5 and Lostviking like this.
  19. Maurice DeLaune

Maurice DeLaune Member

That's how I started; fork, ice pick, and two needles/thread.

ASH and Lostviking like this.
  20. ASH

ASH Member

I did too, I used a piece of scrap particleboard in my lap with a hammer and fork.

I don't like hand sewing, I think I have about worn my fingers out mechanic-ing for the last 20 years.

Lostviking and Maurice DeLaune like this.