Land Nav course compass?

Discussion in 'Randall's Adventure & Training®' started by Danny D, Jan 7, 2023.

1. Danny D

Danny D Member

Hi fellas, first post long time lurker here.

I’m taking the land nav class next month and can use some guidance on what compass to get. Sent an email and was told the Suunto MC2 metric is the way to go. However, I don’t know the difference between the northern needle and global needle? Can someone suggest which one of those I’d be better served with?

After the course I’m going to keep practicing land nav skills down here in south Florida.

For anyone who has taken this class before if you can offer any other suggestions (what to expect, good to haves, nice to haves, etc) I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

cheers,

Danny

2. shaneadams90

shaneadams90 ESEE Knives Marketing Director Staff Member

Hey Danny,

Happy to help. The MC2 Global also works in the Southern Hemisphere. Basically the needle has MORE room and won't drag the bottom. If you don't plan on traveling South of the Equator then you don't need it.

Bring comfortable clothing and good shoes...gloves help bc you WILL BE TRAVELING off trail and there are briars and plenty of poison oak...

small backpack with some water never hurts. If you go to the randallsadventure.com website and go to the Land Nav class you can down load the FULL powerpoint. I would review that BEFORE the class.

Hope this helps.

if you have more questions feel free to email me directly. Shane AT eseeknives.com

Stray Round and Strigidae like this.
  3. Danny D

Danny D Member

Excellent thanks for the guidance

shaneadams90 likes this.