Land/game management

Discussion in 'Hunting and Fishing' started by JMJ, Sep 8, 2016.

1. JMJ

JMJ Member

Who's into working on food plots, hinge-cutting trees and planting trees in new cut overs or any other work that is beneficial to wildlife and the land in general?

This has become a passion of mine in the last 4-6 years as I've started helping a friend work on some family property. I'm trying to learn as much as possible and this has definitely gotten me into the woods a lot more.

2. Rook52

Rook52 Member

I mainly do food plots for deer and turkeys, but also control burns. Trying to work up some thickets for small game, mainly row cut willows. We don't hunt our food plots, this give the animal a sanctuary, but have game trail that we can setup on. Thickets also provide good deer bedding areas but tag alders are a hard to grow when you want to.

Zeitgeist, JMJ and (deleted member) like this.
  3. JMJ

JMJ Member

We do pretty much the same thing, we may hunt next to a plot in the 1st two weeks of archery season then no one goes in except to fill the feeders until the late rut. We finally got dew and black berry briars established in our cut overs, since then I've noticed rabbit and quail making a comeback and our grey fox numbers are on the increase. I really like seeing the small animals make a comeback and flourish, really lets you know things are being done in a balanced way for everything.

4. JMJ

JMJ Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    We finally got a dozer guy to come in and open up three more of our foodplots. Got our winter forage blend seeded, did a cover drag then seeded three different clover species and turnips. Now we've got our fingers crossed for some rain showers in the next week or two.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016