Kids and the Apocalypse

Discussion in 'Wilderness and Tactical Healthcare Management' started by DYSPHORIC JOY, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

Wow. I've never seen a 200 pound rabbit!

2. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

We have got to get some hives going. Planning for years but haven’t yet.

3. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

Dang. I wonder if my wife would go for some in the backyard. My dad raised them when he was a kid, but I think the meat was a by-product and he made most of his money in furs.

That would be cool. Bee's need all the help they can get now. I've been working on some Carpenter/Cutter Bee Houses to put out near our garden. Plus, I'm hoping it keeps them from having a buffet on our shed.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  4. ASH

ASH Member

My dad was raising rabbits about 10 years ago but he got out of it. My local grocery store usually has frozen rabbits, but they come from china.

5. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

I’ve been working as usual, but once I’m off I try to spend a few hours every day with my little girl in the backyard playing and helping her water her container garden and picking mulberries off the back fence line.
    35CDEFBD-4B4A-4CA0-B071-B51D2E4E9515.jpeg 070BCA03-77FD-46A3-9C51-F2E93B287A20.jpeg A26BC134-3345-4DAA-ABD0-B70A9A345CC0.jpeg
    And Jack just chills on a blanket
    584A8519-C3F9-4E6B-8777-BFAE3FE9FC01.jpeg

6. TerryD

TerryD Member

The whole family came out after supper last night to help with the Xterra. I assembled the rear brakes and brake hoses, the wife fixed a damaged misalignment bushing for the rear shocks and installed them, and the oldest put on the new front bump stops. The little two played and ran tools as needed.

Made some good progress I think. Just about ready to put the rear on the ground and start on the front.

7. C99c

C99c Member

While smaller children may not understand what's going on they can be occupied with games and other activities.

Older kids, especially teenagers, should he watched very carefully right now and going forward for signs of depression or destructive behavior. Being separated from friends, having all of their end of school year activities canceled and being forced to stay home can and will have a big effect on them.

I keep reading about people expecting a baby boom nine months from now. I'm more worried about other numbers as this drags on.

8. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

Can’t remember if it was said here or somewhere else, but teenagers need to pay special attention to what people are considered essential right about now and think about their career choice carefully.

9. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

Very true. It would also be good to look at how that career choice might play into a regional disaster response setup. For example, I work for a telecom company and we rotated teams in & out of New Orleans for several weeks after Katrina. After tornadoes and ice storms (depending on severity) power companies send crews from several states to restore service as quickly as possible.

I know lots of "non essential" folks (such as sales) who are working from home. Some would argue that us "essential" employees are "expendable" given the lack of PPE while we're expected to address customer's service issues. And I know folks who are straight up unemployed because their employer shut down during this event. All things to consider.

10. DYSPHORIC JOY

Excellent point.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  11. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I almost wish I had kids (that I know about ;) )....I could use me some slave labour preparing the fortifications.... :D :D

Nice to see these tough times bringing out the real family cares and concerns among so many. Kids today WILL tell their own kids about how Grandpa and Grandma looked after them and saw them through the worst of days. My compliments and congratulations to you all... !!

Andy

12. DYSPHORIC JOY

Seems like you had one boy and now you have an entire Timber Rattler Den.

The Marsh Gorilla and TerryD like this.
  13. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Yeah these last two ran through right before we slammed the door shut LoL. My daughter’s becoming quite the little nature lover, and I’m sure the baby will be too. Not like we give them much choice when we start inundating them early on.

DYSPHORIC JOY and Strigidae like this.
  14. OKcherokee

OKcherokee Member

There was a mini parade down our street yesterday. Was a birthday parade for the little girl across the road.

Police car was the lead car, with lights and sirens going and all other cars were decorated with balloons and ribbons, they honked their horns and reved their engines.

The little girl was pretty excited, they watched from the front porch.

TerryD and Wisdom like this.
  15. TerryD

TerryD Member

That's really cool! I've seen several posts like this for kids and seniors alike. One was even a guy setting out wine and dog biscuits for his neighbors. He was camped out about 5yrd back with his own bottle chatting with folks as they walked by.

16. TerryD

TerryD Member

I got the kids out today and we cleared some ground behind the house. It was a standing thicket when we moved in and as we've had time we've cleared it out. It's not a very big spot but it's aggravating because it was used as a trash heap for a while.

Today I took the lawn tractor and scraped the sod off the paper machine cloth the PO used as landscaping cloth. That stuff is a PITA. We used the mower and a chain to drag it out and to the trailers.

I let the 10y/o run the tractor and do the dragging. She really loved doing that. I did the hooking and the other two were moving rocks and stones.

It looks a good bit better. Several more days before it'll be done but it's progress.

17. DYSPHORIC JOY

18. ASH

ASH Member

I dragged 3 horse pastures and the arena today, then did some shooting. I went up to the bait shop and bought some crickets to feed the chicks, that was fun to watch.

Delkancott and DYSPHORIC JOY like this.
  19. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Wife and I took the kids out to the big empty lot next to our church for a “snack picnic” for the little man to lay on a blanket and get some fresh air outside the house and see some trees while my daughter and I played tag for the first time and I gave her her first shoulder rides and picked flowers out the clover patches. Apparently having daddy run while riding on his shoulders is a shriek worthy experience LoL. We had a blast and wore them out.

OKcherokee, TerryD, ASH and 1 other person like this.
  20. DYSPHORIC JOY

We had numerous activities planned for the weekend and accomplished about 3/4. Last on the agenda was shooting. Next weekend, hopefully.

The Marsh Gorilla and TerryD like this.