Izula s35vn hardness

Discussion in 'ESEE® Knives and Gear' started by HbDave, Aug 3, 2021.

1. HbDave

HbDave Member

I’ve looked around and haven’t found the Rockwell on the Izula in s35vn.
    Xancudo shows 59-60.
    Izula seems softer when sharpening. Curious if it has Lower temper.

2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

The E3 and the Xancudo say 59-60 Rc. Id assume they are all the same way. The big bosses are out on a search and are unavailable to me at the moment. They will chime in if that is incorrect.

HbDave likes this.
  3. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

What he ^ said. I will open the door to @Jeff Randall making a fool of me (he enjoys it so who am I to deny him sport) but I can't imagine them changing it up among knives all so close in size, maybe if it were a Junglas vs Izula I could see it.

HbDave likes this.
  4. HbDave

HbDave Member

Surely they can’t be the same.
    Sharpen the Izula. Stick it in the sheath and next thing I know take it out and edge is rolled or chipped in same spot forward of the screw. Sheath is clean.
    Never chipped Xancudo I used it hard trimming striker plate notches to test.
    I’ve only used Izula on cardboard, tape or meat so far. Third time I have sharpened it out, and almost always in the same spot.
    Why I was curious.
    I really like the little knife. I’d love it if could get that to stop happening.
    Have an armatus sheath coming, but really don’t think sheath should cause that.
    83F72052-CD9D-4CBD-9983-7C8661806859.jpeg FDDCC551-B5D7-472E-98BD-4D1CB029CA5C.jpeg

5. HbDave

HbDave Member

The top picture.
    I sharpened it a couple hours ago to get the previous roll/chip out. Took it out to use it and felt the snag on the paper.
    Bottom picture was a few days ago.
    I just can’t figure out what’s causing it.
    I’ve taken the closest screw out and from what I can see the blade isn’t going through and hitting screw. No marks on screws.
    I can see what looks like white stress marks in that area of the sheath, but can’t tell for sure.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  6. Strigidae

Warranty it if it aint right.

HbDave likes this.
  7. anomad

anomad Member

What angle and sharpening system are you using? Just curious. I only have 1095 ESEE knives. They scream at 15 degrees per side on the Sharpmaker, which takes some exercise... 20 degrees would be very adequate for typical use. I'm just opening the mail and breaking down recycling most of the time.

8. HbDave

HbDave Member

I’m open to suggestions here.
    I sharpen by hand and doing same as on Xancudo. No problems with the Xancudo. It kept a hair popping edge even after all that work.
    Roughly a 17 degree. Put about a 22 degree micro-bevel this last time to see if perhaps had edge to fine. I have a worksharp guided system coming in tomorrow so gonna try it one more time to see what happens.
    I really don’t know why it keeps doing it.
    I put it in and out of the sheath half dozen times after taking last picture and keeps flattening.
    I got my wife one at same time. Hers hasn’t show any issues but she hasn’t really used it much.

CB5CF39E-17B1-4BDB-94B7-B8024D1CC791.jpeg 01E946CC-0CE7-4930-9D73-62A6844FDA33.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  9. HbDave

HbDave Member

I'm not sure what is causing it. Why I was asking about the temper. There maybe Something I missed when inspecting the sheath trying to figure out what's causing it.
    I'm gonna try reprofiling on a full 20 degree after get new sharpeners in and put it to similar use I did Xancudo and see what happens so I will know if its sheath or blade.

10. Strigidae

Ok sir. If it aint right for you send it in for a warranty issue and they will take care of you.

HbDave likes this.
  11. ASH

ASH Member

Sometimes I believe you have to remove enough material to get to good steel. I don't know if that's the case here. I'm not sure what causes it, maybe the edge gets a little too hot when grinding it at the factory. This is just for knives in general not specific to ESEE knives.

HbDave likes this.