How far did you walk/run today?

Discussion in 'Wilderness and Tactical Healthcare Management' started by Zeek, Feb 17, 2018.

1. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

I like the elliptical because it brings the upper body into cardio when you use the handle levers and most of the ones I've used have pre-programmed training modes for hills or random that alternates inclines and resistance levels. I've also noticed better results for myself on them. They're really good if you have any issues with your back, hip, knee or ankle joins because they're lower impact than a treadmill since you don't take your feet off the footpads.

I've always looked at it that any gains are better than none, it's great that you're getting into it again! I think our overall health and immune system does better with some physical exertion. I'm one of those weirdos that enjoys a degree of total body soreness that heavy cardio and weight training gives me. The older I get the more I'm noticing that if I go any long period of time without doing both of those I start to have issues with my lumbar muscles

Zeek likes this.
  2. Zeek

Zeek Member

I can't wait to get outside for a run !!!

Where are all the runners at? I swear we had this thread on the old forum... there were at least a couple guys that would post regularly. Am I wrong?

Running is the reason I stumbled across ESEE. I Googled 'neck knife' or some sheeit like that and the damn Izula came up. o_O

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

I walked a block to the beer store. Damn near died. No one shoveled the sidewalks. Its icy out.

Stone, The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  4. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

We definitely had it on the old forum! I thought it was @Backwoods Runner that originated the old thread.

Logged another 5miles in 45mins yesterday afternoon. Apparently jumping up to level 5 difficulty from level 4 yesterday has put a pause on my 1/4 mile gains the previous 3 runs.

Zeek likes this.
  5. Zeek

Zeek Member

9 minute mile... that's no joke at least at my age. I'm gonna hit the treadmill soon and actually run for a while this time. :cool: Try some 'old man' fartleks :p Lol

6. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

I love doing fartlek training on the elliptical, when I hit a fatigue slump I can push n pull the lever handles so my upper body can give my legs a "rest" and I also use that when I turn up my intensity.

Zeek likes this.
  7. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

Been wanting to add something good to this thread BUT i have discovered that since i push a cart(long story) around most of the time when i leave the house.... Apparently my fitbit doesn't record me walking when i am pushing said cart..... SO my totals would be embarrassing.....

The Marsh Gorilla and Zeek like this.
  8. Zeek

Zeek Member

3 miles on the mill plus a couple dog walks. Actually ran sort of... 10min/mile. Felt good, no chest pains lol. Need a set of wireless headphones now.

9. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

4 mile hike with a 60# pack in a thunderstorm.

10. Zeek

Zeek Member

60# = 60lbs ??? :confused:

11. Zeek

Zeek Member

How do you carry the extra weight... GR1?

12. Strigidae

Today was a kelty coyote 80 and hpg kit bag and pants pockets. Usually a gr0 with bricks for exercise but today i was loaded down with gear and more gear and food. Wanted a day trip to learn the bearthedog steam method but at about 100 yards from my campsite the river was blocking me.

13. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

That's awesome! It's amazing how much better it can make you feel. My son gave me his old corded Beats headphones when he got the new cordless ones. I absolutely love those when I'm running and working out.

That's really cool!! I'm anxious to start getting some trail time again once the baby's a little older.

Logged another 5 miles on the elliptical today.

Zeek likes this.
  14. RedEyedHog

RedEyedHog Moderator Staff Member

My Apple health says I average 15,000 steps before 2pm. Just a little over 5 miles. That’s just stepping and fetching in a restaurant. Does that count?

15. Strigidae

Yes

16. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Very much so! My best friend's dad is a general practitioner in his 80's and is still working. He's gone by a 10,000 steps per day philosophy along with getting all his vitamins from nuts and other foods naturally for decades. I swear he looks like he's in his late 60's to early 70's and gets around at the deercamp like he's 60.

Zeek and RedEyedHog like this.
  17. RedEyedHog

My wife was a cross country runner in high school and still loves it. She finally got me on board with running about 18 months ago. I got up to two miles three times a week and then started having serious shin splints. I’d really like to get back into it but every time I’ve tried I can feel them acting up. Anybody got shin splint advice? I’ve tried just about everything.

18. Zeek

Zeek Member

I'm not sure. I had shin splints very bad too when I first starting running.

First thing I purchased some better quality shoes with plenty of cushioning, ASIC Gel-Nimbus is one good option but there many others.

Second, don't increase your distance too quickly, either for a single run or for your overall mileage per week. I forget the recommended percentage maybe only +10% at a time.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    RedEyedHog and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  19. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

From what I remember being taught in high school track running on harder surfaces can give you shin splints easier, especially when first getting into running. So if you can run on grassy paths if you have that option as you get back into it.

RedEyedHog likes this.
  20. RedEyedHog

I was running on a gravel path. I think it’s just because my shins can’t handle my fatness.