Hot weather camping help

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by ny700, May 24, 2022.

1. ny700

ny700 Member

So my preferred camping is in the north November to May. Well here I am now living in Texas and I have an upcoming boyscout campout coming up. I’m expecting temps right around 100* during the day and probably lows at night of high 80s and 80%+ humidity.

I have a long list of tricks for staying warm in cold weather.

help me out with skills, tricks and gear to stay cool.
    my kid and I will take separate tents. I have a golite shang gra-la 2 and a mountain hardwear sky view 3. Both offer solid ventilation.

2. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

Welcome to Tx friend…you are going to have BO. (In fact your pits will wilt the horns of satan himself.) ;)

3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

never mind the dingleberries region :confused:

anrkst6973 likes this.
  4. Jeremiah Jones

Jeremiah Jones Member

Drink water and embrace the suck.

Wisdom, anrkst6973 and Bushman5 like this.
  5. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

As you can tell…We are no help at all! Unless the wind is actually blowing laying in the tent ON TOP of your sleeping gear while sweating profusely is…normal to us. If I’m solo I use a hammock but even that in summertime temps is not always a win. 80+ until 10-11-12 at night is not unheard of.
    A clip on or magnetic attached tent fan will help as long as you have batteries. Sets of rechargeable’s and a solar panel makes it doable even days in a row. That’s the only “help” I’ve personally had positive results with in years of Tx heat.

6. anomad

anomad Member

A big ass battery, a way to charge it, and a little USB fan might help. I wouldn't hump that gear though.

I have used my Ryobi fan and battery packs to sleep in relative comfort in a van.In hut/humid conditions.

One of my worst was a weekend bike trip north of Fairbanks on 4th of July weekend. It was in the 90's and the sun doesn't really go down that time of year. Sleep was more like some form of hot meditation. Some Florida kayaking trips have been exercises in sleep deprivation too. Daytime naps help if and when possible.

Thinking more, acclimate. Sleep in your back yard in a tent or in a non conditioned space to sort of get used to it before heading out. I didn't have that foresight.

Bushman5 likes this.
  7. ny700

ny700 Member

Been working on mindset to embrace the suck.
    Man I hate the heat. Used to hate camping in the summer in Michigan always preferred going out in the winter. Moving south was like a cruel joke

8. Wisdom

Wisdom Member

This is the only method I’ve found. Learn to be comfortable being uncomfortable.