Hawks anyone ? Let's se em......

Discussion in 'Knives, Gear, Guns And Other Tools' started by Mack, Feb 1, 2017.

1. daizee

daizee Member

2. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

I have the Woods Kangee, or the back spike version of this. It is a very good chopper but it is a HEAVY son of a gun! That fact is causing me to look around for a lighter option.

3. Stone

Stone Member

Here's my Swedish hawk with its favorite US bushcraft blade buddy.

The Swedish hawk has a wicked hammer poll.

I suspect they'll be joined by another hawk someday.

5C-Steel kit - GBWH + RB3.JPG

Kaw-liga, KnOeFz and Mike Smith like this.
  4. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Moderator Staff Member

IF you start with a bare head, then it's as easy or easier to make a suitable wedge-fit handle vs. slip fit...however if your handle breaks in the field, getting the broken handle back out of the eye is the real kicker. There are some techniques that can be used, like carefully burning it out with a coal, but typically rehanging a wedge-fit axe properly very nearly necessitates having access to a drill, vise, and saw. Compare to a slip-fit eye where it takes you all of a few seconds to knock the busted piece out, and no tool besides the head itself is needed to fashion the new handle. You can also use multiple handles on the same head, so you could have a stubby hatchet handle in the pack and field fashion a longer one, then swap between them as the situation dictates. :)

anrkst6973 and Stone like this.
  5. Stone

Stone Member

I've thought of that very thing. If I buy that Rinaldi Carpenter's Hawk from you, since it's a larger head than most hawks, I think I'd like two different sized handles -- one stock, and one slightly longer -- like 21" or so. Just a thought, an experiment. I like experiments with gear. :)

6. FortyTwoBlades

If you need some hickory for the longer handle I've got some I could cut a blank from for ya'.

7. daizee

daizee Member

EXCELLENT insight, Mr. B!
    And something I should have anticipated, having re-hung half a dozen axes or so. Some were REALLY hard to get apart. Scratch that - MOST were. And that's in the shop with a vise, drills, etc.

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  8. FortyTwoBlades

And there lies the crux of the situation. A wedged eye allows the handle to have pretty much any shape you want, but once it's on there it's going to take some effort to remove it, and if you're far from civilization and need your axe back in good working order FAST...well, you're gonna' be spending a lot of time and burning a lot of calories trying to just get the old wood out of the head, let alone actually making the handle. It's been theorized by some that the reason why a lot of Latin American axes have truly round eyes, despite their drawbacks, is that they're super fast to rehandle by just cutting a sapling with a natural taper to it and dropping it in the eye.

anrkst6973 likes this.
  9. Theodore

Theodore Member

Have you tried cutting them off flush at the bottom and pounding from the bottom out, with a wooden drift, as the handle side of the eye is smaller than the top? That and some oil and a little digging for the wedge and its not all that hard. Unless you get one with metal wedges and screws and nails all through it.

10. daizee

daizee Member

Trust me, I've tried it every which way! I do get 'em out eventually.
    But now... I want me a darn tomahawk. :)

11. Theodore

Theodore Member

Im a fan of the Francesca , I do not have one anymore, but I may pick up another to play around with. Here are a couple of guys with no sleeves having a good time

12. koolaidnd

koolaidnd Member

Ive never owned a hawk before. I do own an estwing Riggers hatchet/hammer. It's useful, far more then I expected.

Before I buy a hawk I'll probably get the same Rinaldi carpenter hatchet that Stone likes or the super-naturalist from hardcore hammers. I like this style of tool because it's multi use. I keep the riggers hammer in my truck bug out kit. Non threatening, a hammer, a hatchet. I can use it as a tool or weapon if needed.

http://www.baryonyxknife.com/ricaha.html or https://www.hardcorehammers.com/product/super-naturalist/

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  13. daizee

daizee Member

So I badly want a H&B Medium Camp Hawk and also the Ship Builder's Axe. Trying to figure out which I 'need' (haha), and how each might compare to the competition:

1) US-stamped hatchet, believed to be authentic, original haft
    1lb, 1.7lb total, 3.25" bit, 15.125" OAL

2) Husqvarna hatchet (made by Hults Bruks) hung on a boy's axe handle
    2.32lb, 3.25" bit, 27.25" OAL

3) Vintage Warren boy's axe, re-hung by me
    2.35lb, 3.5" bit, 28" OAL

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kaw-liga, KnOeFz and Mike Smith like this.
  14. FortyTwoBlades

Had a look at that Super-Naturalist and I'm not sure if they understand what makes for a good set to the bit. The heel on that puppy is wayyyyyyy too far out for my liking. If they fixed that it'd look like a handy little head, but as is it isn't proportioned to really allow it to be readily corrected.

15. B-line

B-line Member

3 years later... yes, it cuts really well for its weight (1.5 lbs), and I do really like it. Amazing quality for the price. Sorry for the slow reply!

Strigidae likes this.
  16. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

No worries! I ended up with a GOShawk or something like that.

Chris Talley likes this.
  17. Chris Talley

Chris Talley Member

How do you like that GOShawk? I’ve been eyeing that for a year or two and haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

18. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

For a hawk its heavy. Do i like it? Yep. It crosses over roles between hawk and axe for me if that makes sense.
    In all truth i rarely bring an axe or a hawk. Im more of a knife/saw or a knife/saw/chopper guy.

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  19. Lostviking

Lostviking Member

20. Twoody88

Twoody88 Member

20200205_202635.jpg 20200205_202615.jpg K5/BM production spike :cool: smashy smashy... tempted to pass this one along for a rmj shrike, For practical uses obviously.. like chopping live tec cable :D