GPS help!

Discussion in 'Adventure, Hiking, Backpacking and Travel' started by Rook52, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Rook52

Rook52 Member

I’m looking at getting a hand held gps for hunting and hiking. The problem is I have no idea where to start. I looking for something user friendly, track my path, set points(such as tree stands or blinds), good battery life, prefer one that will accept regular batteries if needed. I’m going to be doing a lot more hunting out of state so world wide maps. After that I’m not sure what they are capable of. I ice fish a lot so I’d like to be able to drop pins as well so I can find the same spots again. Also I’d like one that won’t be obsolete tomorrow, updatable. Thanks

Kaw-liga likes this.
  2. Reno Lewis

Reno Lewis Knot-A-Challenge Champion

Garmin 64S hands down.

It's what we use professionally on SAR, and it's what I use personally as well. It comes without maps, so you do need to buy the map pack applicable to you, but other that that, they're amazing.

And bombproof.

I've seen one get spun out on in packed snow by a fully loaded F-350 and keep working with minor scuffs.

Takes any style AA (I use Eneloop Pro's as primary), lasts a good long time on a single set of batteries, IPX-7 waterproof, accurate as a GPS can be, lots of functions but simple to use, and works in some of the densest craziest places I've been to.

Tracks you, can put down lots of marks really easily, can find and make routs, can use a ton of different standards of measure, etc.

The 64ST comes with basic US road maps, but lacks detailed topo/trail/backroads info. I'd recommend the standard 64S and then just find the Garmin map pack which will work best for you.

3. Rook52

Rook52 Member

Thanks Reno, I’ve posted this on a couple other hunting forums and I’m getting a lot of people telling to just use my phone and OnX. Any thoughts on that? Good, bad, or otherwise.

4. BigJake

BigJake Member

OnX is great for hunting. Especially if the counties in your area have the plat maps online. Makes finding who you need to ask permission to hunt pretty easy.

I don’t know if I’d trust it over a stand-alone GPS for deep back country. But, I haven’t used it for that either.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    Kaw-liga and Rook52 like this.
  5. Reno Lewis

DO NOT use your phone as a GPS.

Please.

I've been on the other end of that situation many times.

You wouldn't believe how far off they are in the woods 99.99% of the time. It kills your battery incredibly quickly, and often won't function in most backwoods areas, due to needing a constant stream of data (i.e multiple bars).

Use it for referencing information in new areas, use it for viewing reference maps, use it as a camera, use it for contact when it works, but never rely on a cell phone to function as a critical piece of gear. Like a GPS, or a flashlight, or an emergency beacon (contact with 911), etc.

You use it for one function, kill the battery, you lose all the other functions.

I'd also caution never to rely on a GPS fully either, just due to it being electronic, but I'd certainly never trust my phone to act as my GPS in the woods.

A (waterproofed) map or two of your planned area, a solid base plate sighting compass and a good knowledge and practice using them should always be carried along with the GPS.

I'd also recommend something like an ACR PLB for true emergency contact. A tad expensive, yeah, especially for something you should hope to never have to use, but it's one of the most surefire ways to contact for rescue in the event your, or somebody else's life is on the line.

Kaw-liga and Rook52 like this.
  6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

This x 1,000,000

I can kill my iPhone in about an hour or two using the on-board gps and maps. The battery drain is incredible. It’s even faster in deep ravines, heavy dense forest cover,or between mountain ranges

Normally I can go two days before charging otherwise.

As well a lot of theSAR calls here are a result of people relying on their phone gps or apps. Many have ended up miles off course, in deep ravines , with dead batteries and no way of calling for help

Kaw-liga, Rook52 and Reno Lewis like this.
  7. Rook52

Rook52 Member

Well that answers that, thanks so much I’ll check out the Garmin 64ST. I was wondering why cell phones haven’t killed GPS’s, well that explains it.

I do have a great compass and always get a good map of my hunting areas. It’s just some times I leave before light and it’s nice just to glance at something and keep moving.

Thanks for your help, I’ll trust someone’s opinion that is part of Canadain SAR.

Kaw-liga and Reno Lewis like this.
  8. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

If the budget isn’t there, you can’t go wrong with the Garmin Extrex series either. Very user friendly.

Kaw-liga likes this.
  9. Reno Lewis

Oh for sure, GPS's are a wonderful convenience. I love mine.

So, basically, the only real differences (aside from colour) between the 64S and 64ST, is that the ST comes with some basic (sometimes VERY basic, according to some reviewers) US maps, and also has 8gb internal storage.

The 64s comes with an empty micro-SD slot for you to plug whatever (detailed) map pack you want to buy, and has 4gb of storage.

What that equates to is that you can store more waypoints, routes, tracks etc at any given time on the 64ST.

Having used the 62, 62s, and now 64s for a few years solid, I've never found the 4gb to be an issue in the field, and I'm not shy when it comes to marking stuff. But, that might be something for a hunter to consider.

I had no use for the excess storage, and no use for US road maps, so I went for the standard 64S, but if you want to store a ton of waypoints, routes etc, the 64ST might just be the one for you.

Kaw-liga, CWB and Rook52 like this.
  10. Kylemeister

Kylemeister Member

And learn how to use the UTM coordinate system along with your GPS & topo maps. It's ridiculously simple, and you can easily find where you are on a map with very minimal hassle. Check out www.maptools.com and look at the tutorials. Many compasses have the UTM overlay printed on them.

Kaw-liga, JV3 and Rook52 like this.
  11. JV3

JV3 Member

all good points and i agree not relying solely on a gps device regardless what that is (cell phone or a dedicated unit).

i just want to add that on a newer cell phone (going as far back as my iphone 4 and 6...which are 4+ years old at least) they have their own gps chip inside (they're not relying on cell tower pings and doing triangulations to your location) so you do not need cell service or wifi for a gps app to function...it will get coordinates just fine.

also, i just tested my $250 garmin foretrex 601 on a rainy overnighter two weekends ago and the gps signal was off and on throughout the trip which left me shaking my head...my free gaia gps app running on my iphone xs max never lost connection and the coordinates from it were a lot closer to my garmin 62s which i also brought so i believe they do put quality gps chips in new cell phones nowadays...my 62s is still what i use though if want something reliable for a specifc trip.

C99c, Kaw-liga and Rook52 like this.
  12. McKROB

McKROB Member

Another vote for the Garmin 64s, I have several for work (64s x 3, 64st x 1, 64sc x 1) and I wouldn’t consider any other model at the moment. The 64sc is my preferred model. The “s” sensor option upgrade is worth the extra money. I wouldn’t bother with the “t” topo option as you can upload your own custom maps as google earth kmz files. There is also a “c” option giving you an 8mp camera which comes in handy when you want to take a geotagged photo when your phone is dead. The 64 supports 500 tiles for custom maps (up from 100 from the 62), and has Bluetooth which allows transfer of waypoints and maps in the field to other 64’s.

I’d recommend installing a screen protector before you take it outdoors (Invisishield) and buy a set of Eneloops for it. And try your best not to use it with bug dope on your hands, it doesn’t take long to destroy your keys...

13. Rook52

Rook52 Member

I took the 64s and 64ST for a test drive today in Scheels. Both great units. I also played around with google maps. I think I’m going hang tight for now and see what Black Friday deals show up at Cabela’s. I have a lot of points from their CC that I plan to use to get a gps.

14. McKROB

McKROB Member

The 64s is on sale $100 off at Cabelas online for $200, that’s a great price!

C99c and Rook52 like this.
  15. Rook52

Rook52 Member

Ok I took the plunge. I just ordered a Garmin 64S. It was $100 off at Cabela’s. I see I can get hunt onX for it so that’s awesome. I know I can use my phone but it one more layer of protection. Along with my compass I should be set. Thanks everyone for your help. I’ll keep my progress posted.

Reno Lewis and Bushman5 like this.
  16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

smoking deal!

17. Reno Lewis

That's a great price, and congrats on your purchase!

18. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

I've been running a few tests on the same GPS and so far it's pretty awesome. Locks on as good as anything I have, real simple with no bells and whistles (I like that a lot) and easy to navigate the menu, save a waypoint, recall a waypoint, etc. We never use mapping on GPS units. All we use them for is to grab a waypoint (or insert one) and then get a bearing and distance to it and then use our compass for actually traveling while spot checking the GPS and adjusting compass bearing accordingly.

IMG_3741.jpg

JV3 and Strigidae like this.
  19. Jeff Randall

Jeff Randall ESEE Knives / Randall's Adventure & Training Staff Member

As a side note, the absolute worst GPS unit I own is the Garmin InReach. Great for texting a message with no cell phone service but horrible for accurate navigation and locking on to satellites.

Bushman5 and Strigidae like this.
  20. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy Member

Curious if any more issues with he 601?
    Im wanting a solid basic reliable gps and thats the one im looking at.