"frog house" with my son...

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by mmbackpacker, Sep 15, 2016.

1. mmbackpacker

mmbackpacker Member

My son is obsessed with catching lizards and toads lately... I am not sure where he came up with the idea, but he wanted to make a frog house with me yesterday, so we busted out the knives and built a little lean too in the front garden area. I used the time to teach him some knife safety and basic lean too construction- on a small scale. I am not a native Floridian, so I have no idea what they are, but we have these 1-2 foot long threads (I think they are from one of the palm tree species) that are common in our front walkway area. We gathered up some small sticks, found a couple with Y's, stuck them in the ground, tied on a cross beam and laid up some roofing branches. He then lost interest in the building, so off he went to catch some critters. I took the time to make a small coil of the fiber, a fire ring and also broke up some little sticks. Of course, you can't have a fire ring without fire, so I fuzzed up a bit of fatwood and sparked the ferro rod. All in all, an enjoyable time with my son- like playing dollhouse with my daughter but outside and bushcrafty! Next time I might try carving up a micro sized figure 4 or a grasshopper sized piute deadfall.

[​IMG]

2. ozbushy

ozbushy Member

That's great stuff it's always enjoyable making things with the kids, especially outdoor related

MarriedTheMedic likes this.
  3. JMJ

JMJ Member

That is truly awesome man! I did things like that with my son when he was young. Anything to help foster the imagination and encourage them into the outdoors.

ozbushy and MarriedTheMedic like this.
  4. Bluelew

Bluelew Member

we have these cuban tree frogs in my yard, bigger than the native ones, this female was over 3 inches really cool looking, you can see them at night with a bright flashlight
    [​IMG]

JMJ likes this.
  5. AddictedToSteel

AddictedToSteel Member

That thing looks like it is just chill'n. Good pic.

6. Bluelew

Bluelew Member

they re all around my little koi pond