Fraud scam story

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bushcraft_Dave, Sep 8, 2022.

1. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

I have a tiny little YouTube channel that I haven’t used much and at the beginning of the year I received 4 messages from companies asking me if I received their products and when was I going to review it.

Recently I got a hold of an email he sent requesting some boots and the company wanted a telephone number in case the shipment got lost.

I called the number and got his voicemail but he said his name.

so I have his address, phone number and real name. If he lived anywhere close to me I’d go have a conversation with him. I called him again a few minutes ago and he picked up and was really nervous and hung up on me- with just me asking him to verify his name.

I live in California and he lives in Toronto Canada.

Does anyone have any ideas how to stop. I’m contacting the fraud department in Toronto.

2. on edge

on edge Member

Road trip! ;)

Bushcraft_Dave likes this.
  3. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

i like your idea. I love Canada, visited beautiful Banff National Forest

on edge likes this.
  4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

I would start with a call to the local police station nearest his home, explain that you can establish your ownership of the YouTube Channel and outline what he is doing. If the products are being sent from the US to him I think it will be hard to make a fraud case given the jurisdictional issues (and possibly value) however if he has solicited items from a Canadian company and received it there may be a case HOWEVER (and I am not familiar with the applicable Canadian legislation) I would be almost certain that in this instance YOU would not be considered the victim it would in fact be the companies providing items for review and would require them to be onboard with the matter. Arguably you may have a civil complaint against him but this will be hampered by the cross boarder issue again (he may as well be a Nigerian Prince). I would firstly post up something on your YouTube channel highlighting the issue to any further companies that may be in the background. I WOULD NOT name him however I would certainly identify that you are based in X USA and this individual is based in Y Canada. That should slow him on down.

This does suck.

ASH likes this.
  5. Bushcraft_Dave

Bushcraft_Dave Member

Thank yo so much for your input and insight. I really appreciate. I’m going to implement those suggestions. Thanks again!

6. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

All good mate. Happy to help a little.

7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

Too bad he wasn't in Vancouver BC !
    I'd go hunting :cool:

on edge likes this.