FOXFIRE (1974)

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by WOODSDEVIL, Jan 14, 2023.

1. WOODSDEVIL

WOODSDEVIL Member

Fascinating video. . .had no idea that these FOXFIRE books were the result of a High School writing project. These youngsters preserved a part of American cultural history and skills which otherwise might've been lost.

2. C99c

C99c Member

The best part is that you can pick the books up, individually or as a complete set, for very little money. I've found enough of them at used book stores, yard sales, etc that I've been able to give many to friends.

The Foxfire museum and heritage center is in NE Georgia, near the South Carolina line. There's good camping and trout fishing in the area. And a business that specializes in knife making materials and older knives just up the road. I spend a lot time in that area and it's a good place for a long weekend or week's vacation.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
  3. WOODSDEVIL

WOODSDEVIL Member

Thanks for the info. I'd love to visit that area someday. I was quite surprised to learn LEHMAN'S still sells the books as new, and a complete set is around $199 bucks, but as you've said, they can be found everywhere used.

Bushman5, The Marsh Gorilla and C99c like this.
  4. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

5. WOODSDEVIL

WOODSDEVIL Member

The Marsh Gorilla likes this.
  6. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Member

My SIL had the Foxfire’s, studied and used the knowledge too. Interesting if somewhat off from center woman. Made off with my Busse Recruit too, best potato peeler she ever used. (Note to self: don’t loan A2 belt knife to weird SIL’s! )

7. RocketmanDane

RocketmanDane Member

@DYSPHORIC JOY
    Because you brought it up :)

Do you have a better photo were you can read more of the book titles? I have probably 8 or more of the none foxfire books and am curious what else I might “need” :)

8. DYSPHORIC JOY

DYSPHORIC JOY Administrator Staff Member

Thank you.

9. The Marsh Gorilla

The Marsh Gorilla Member

Well damn I thought I had the whole Foxfire book set lol. I’ll have to go look through my collection and see which ones I’ve got. When my in-laws were clearing out their old house to demolish and sell the property my FIL gave me his “set” of Foxfire books. Looks we’ve got a good bit of other outdoors/field guides in common.

Zeek likes this.