Flint, Steel, Rain, and Sleet

Discussion in 'Survival and Wilderness Skills' started by R Stowe, Jan 9, 2023.

1. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

Sunday afternoon I decided to get out for a few hours to work on some skills. It was in the mid-30s with a steady light rain that occasionally picked up enough that I didn't want to be out without cover.

[​IMG]

The first order of business was to get a tarp up for some overhead protection. I rigged up the poncho with a quick bankline ridge line and some prusiks paired with toggles. I could have saved some time with my dedicated line kit, but I don't always carry it, so it's good to get practice rigging one from a hank of cordage.

[​IMG]

I stashed my pack and Little Badger under the tarp (I didn't expect any squirrels to be out in that mess) and headed off to find some wood. A dead-standing poplar proved to be dry, so I cut it down to size with my folding saw and split some of it via baton.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got to work on some shavings, and then I cracked out the flint and steel kit. I got a spark on the third or fourth strike, dropped the char cloth in the shavings, and had a flame inside of a minute. Then I was slow getting the shavings into the fire lay and getting everything set because I was busy taking photos. So... I did it all a second time, but with significantly more tries at getting a spark going. Round two was a success.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a bit of babysitting and the addition of a few larger logs, I added some water and a handful of pine needles to my canteen cup and waited for it to simmer. A dreary January afternoon is a good time for a hot drink by the fire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I was drinking my tea I noticed the sound of the rain changed. It took a moment for my eyes to adjust after staring at the fire, but I started to notice sleet bouncing off of the leaves are me. As I was packing up, I was surprised at how much had accumulated on my tarp.

[​IMG]

Bushman5, C99c, Not Sure and 9 others like this.
  2. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Nice work!!!

R Stowe likes this.
  3. Theo

Theo Member

Looks like a good day to be outside and get some fire starting practice!

R Stowe and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  4. Caleb O

Caleb O Member

Love it! Way to get that dirt time.

R Stowe and The Marsh Gorilla like this.
  5. R Stowe

R Stowe Moderator Staff Member

Thanks guys. It pays off to practice when conditions are less than ideal.