European mount DIY

Discussion in 'Hunting and Fishing' started by Strigidae, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Administrator of the Century Staff Member

On skull cleaning....

A big ant nest here (for the Aussies - Meat Ants) do a great job getting into a skull but you do risk something snatching it up if you are not careful, as a seven year old I also learnt NOT to stand on the Meat Ant's nest and pee....it could have been really bad except my Great Uncle just picked me up calm as could be, took twenty half running steps to the creek side and dropped me in....told me to strip off in the water and pass up my clothes (if anyone here in Aus is down stream on the Isis river and finds a retro pair of Scooby Doo socks, this was in 1976, please call me - they went with the current) and keep washing the ants off.....but I digress, a big nest will clean out a skull in a couple of days.

The Buff, Kudu and Hog skulls in this thread above were all cleaned by tiny little fish !! They have spot on the river (it does not flow during the dry/hunting season) that is a nice pool they have made a wire mesh frame over, lift the frame, drop in the heads, drop the frame and the fish do the rest in about four days. The mesh cover both keeps all the meaty parts submerged and stops anything running off with a head. I have a pic I will dig out and post up of it.

Like most of you I boil, I add a combination of "whitening laundry powder" and some dish washing liquid to the boil. Both seems to break down the fat and crud quicker and leave you with a nice whiter finish. I use a little pressure washer to do the hard work especially just on the risers below the coronets.

Strigidae and Zeek like this.
  2. Menace

Menace Member

@Andy the Aussie you're a very interesting man, lol. And you live in a WILD part of the world

3. Bushman5

Bushman5 Member

ok Gents, raiding party soon at @Andy the Aussie's house. The good booze is on top of the kitchen cabinets

[​IMG]

Zeek and Strigidae like this.
  4. Strigidae

Strigidae Administrator Staff Member

Honestly looks to be all over...

Zeek and IW17 like this.
  5. Andy the Aussie

The real good booze is in a cupboard out of sight ;) Strig, everything you see there is FULL....!! The pic was snapped while spring cleaning (my excuse) so I could move a tall but narrow wine rack to a new location to make room for the Kudu.

Raiding parties will of course be repelled, spears and pikes if you get inside the 500m zone around the "home bunker". On approach you will recognise the house.... it IS the one will all the severed head of intruders displayed on stakes across "the lawn" .... ;) ;)

6. Zeek

Zeek Member

My boy got is deer back.
    2019-01-17 18.31.44.jpg

7. Andy the Aussie

Nice !!!

Zeek likes this.